Options

The days of Z lister hangers on coming to a end thanks to real Olympic role models?

Kellie BKellie B Posts: 255
Forum Member
Interesting news piece of Sky earlier. Someone from a UK magazine, not sure which one, said that the olympic success has triggered a new wave of celeb and that the days of reality stars being on the cover of magazines are coming to an end as people are now more interested in real inspirational stars such as Jessica Enis, Chris Mears, Gemma Gibbons and Jason Kenny.

What do we think? might the days of Peter Andre and Kerry Katona be over!

Comments

• Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kellie B wrote: »
    Interesting news piece of Sky earlier. Someone from a UK magazine, not sure which one, said that the olympic success has triggered a new wave of celeb and that the days of reality stars being on the cover of magazines are coming to an end as people are now more interested in real inspirational stars such as Jessica Enis, Chris Mears, Gemma Gibbons and Jason Kenny.

What do we think? might the days of Peter Andre and Kerry Katona be over!

Hopefully.:D:D
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    I'd like to think so, but no, it won't be happening.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to think so, but no, it won't be happening.

CAN would never allow it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's likely that top level Olympians wouldn't demean themselves by associating with cheap supermarket celebrity magazines, and rightly so

So the magazines have to make do with the nobodies, like Peter Andre, Jordan, Big Brother contestants, X Factor rejects etc...and hype them in an effort to make them seem like they are actually newsworthy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lol I've just remembered something too. Wasn't Katie Price constantly going on about how she was going to be in the Olympics this year!

ROFL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lol I've just remembered something too. Wasn't Katie Price constantly going on about how she was going to be in the Olympics this year!

ROFL

As a horse, perhaps.
  • Options
    Rambler80Rambler80 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    wishful thinking I'm afraid. X-Factor is back next week, the (fantastic) exploits of Ennis and co will be forgotten by those who jumped on the olympic bandwagon.
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Only those Z-listers glad Olympics to be over so they want back in pointless media news. I hope not!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's likely that top level Olympians wouldn't demean themselves by associating with cheap supermarket celebrity magazines, and rightly so

So the magazines have to make do with the nobodies, like Peter Andre, Jordan, Big Brother contestants, X Factor rejects etc...and hype them in an effort to make them seem like they are actually newsworthy.

The discussion was about how suddenly readers of these magazines were more interested in the olympic stars than they were Katona etc and that since putting Olympic champs on their covers these past weeks sales have gone up.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olympics ends tonight, a new Peter Andre load of bollox show starts this week. :rolleyes:

They'll be back. Probably spent the least few weeks planning the next *exclusive* :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The discussion was about how suddenly readers of these magazines were more interested in the olympic stars than they were Katona etc and that since putting Olympic champs on their covers these past weeks sales have gone up.

They may put them on the covers. But they can put the Pope on the cover. It doesn't mean they'll have the same level of access to him or the Olympians that they have with the bottom feeders.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is currently blanket coverage of the Olympics across all media but that is coming to an end so newspapers and magazines will need something else to fill their pages. Most athletes will fade back into obscurity but a few will retain their current high profile if they are prepared to work at it which will mean giving interviews, making public appearances and generally being interesting.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The writer in the OP's post has far too much faith in the British public.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fundamentally, the blame for Z-listers getting attention lies not with the magazines, but with the readers.

If the magazine has Jordan on the cover with a headline saying "Jordan Buys New Underwear" why are you buying it? Is it really THAT important to you? Sad bastards.
  • Options
    Charles IICharles II Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..In short...No.

The Olympics will fill Britain with hope & passion for a few months but as soon as its X-Factor crunch time brain-dead sheep-like Britain will return back to their trash TV loving ways. I guarantee you a year or so from now people would have forgotten all about Victoria Pendleton, Mo'Farrah and Daley.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fundamentally, the blame for Z-listers getting attention lies not with the magazines, but with the readers.

If the magazine has Jordan on the cover with a headline saying "Jordan Buys New Underwear" why are you buying it? Is it really THAT important to you? Sad bastards.

Absolutely. I can't even bring myself to read the covers of these crap magazines, never mind part with my money to buy one :o
  • Options
    the_phoothe_phoo Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. I can't even bring myself to read the covers of these crap magazines, never mind part with my money to buy one :o

Yep! Quite right!

This sounds really sad I know, but I've loved the Olympics all my life - for two weeks, every four years it kind of becomes me and I become completely engrossed in this other world. This Olympics has been the first one my little girl can remember and respond to (she's six) and it's really made me think about how I'm going to bring her up and what I want her to become.

My parents never really encouraged me to do anything sport wise or indeed, anything extra curricular but my little girl absolutely loves horses, cycling and archery (weirdly enough). I didn't think the Olympics would inspire me at the age of 29 but it really has made me think about what she's going to do and what I can do to help her become what she wants to be.

I'd love to think that it's the same for every parent/child/teenager out there but I know it's not. I think realistically we need to challenge the parents' ideals for things to change because it really will be a generational thing. But having said that, in Australia their swimmers are treated with the same respect and have the same level of fame as our footballers so it's not impossible.

Sorry for the soppy post...!!
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the_phoo wrote: »
    Yep! Quite right!

This sounds really sad I know, but I've loved the Olympics all my life - for two weeks, every four years it kind of becomes me and I become completely engrossed in this other world. This Olympics has been the first one my little girl can remember and respond to (she's six) and it's really made me think about how I'm going to bring her up and what I want her to become.

My parents never really encouraged me to do anything sport wise or indeed, anything extra curricular but my little girl absolutely loves horses, cycling and archery (weirdly enough). I didn't think the Olympics would inspire me at the age of 29 but it really has made me think about what she's going to do and what I can do to help her become what she wants to be.

I'd love to think that it's the same for every parent/child/teenager out there but I know it's not. I think realistically we need to challenge the parents' ideals for things to change because it really will be a generational thing. But having said that, in Australia their swimmers are treated with the same respect and have the same level of fame as our footballers so it's not impossible.

Sorry for the soppy post...!![/
    QUOTE]

OMG..no need to apologise,.. your post is just lovely and inspiring.! I LOVE it.:)
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the_phoo wrote: »
    Yep! Quite right!

Sorry for the soppy post...!!

its not a soppy post at all. Good for you and parents who are able to plan things for their children, I'm sure they would rather them look up to Jessica Ennis rather than Amy Childs, Tom Daley rather than Peter Andre. If the Olympics has taken the zelebs off the front pages for a few weeks then its brilliant, unfortunately they will be back on the front pages with their sob stories and "world exclusives" all too soon:yawn:

The next generation needs to be inspired and parents like yourself are the start of it. Good for you.
  • Options
    ChowderHeadChowderHead Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    The last thing we want are these Olympics legends turning into cheap, tacky media **** like Beckham and co.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The sort of people who buy HEAT and Reveal probably wouldn't watch the olympics anyway, no doubt they'd be tuned to ITV2 or Big Brother. Sadly a couple of million people see Jordan getting drunk, a transexual doleite winning Big Brother and bitching at the X Factor as big things in their life. However, when I come to power, reality television, celeb mags and Simon Cowell will be made illegal.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    The sort of people who buy HEAT and Reveal probably wouldn't watch the olympics anyway, no doubt they'd be tuned to ITV2 or Big Brother. Sadly a couple of million people see Jordan getting drunk, a transexual doleite winning Big Brother and bitching at the X Factor as big things in their life. However, when I come to power, reality television, celeb mags and Simon Cowell will be made illegal.;)

You'll definitely get my vote Glenn :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it won't happen. We may all feel a bit more national pride or feel inspired and take up a sport (me included)...but our celebrities won't change.

The reason the Z-listers are famous is because they are nothing but a real life soap, they have replaced the declining viewership of soap operas in many ways. We love to gossip about them and usually condemn them, not admire them. They keep many amagazine and minor TV channel floating and it's in their interest to peddle the Z listers for all eternity.

I think they will die off because people are bored of them. Olympians and Z listers occupy different arenas in the world of entertainment and they both have their place.