Showing a Glimse of Peter Capaldi was wrong

Free RadicalFree Radical Posts: 374
Forum Member
Yes I know the identity of the next Doctor was revealed ages ago, but I still think we shouldn't have seen him on screen until the regeneration. I'm aware that Peter (a lifelong Whovian) was delighted to be part of the 50th special, but I still think it was a mistake to break with tradition.

What do you think?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are on crack,

It was the biggest fan yelp of the whole episode.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? I liked his appearance.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole cinema took an excitable intake of breath. It was genius.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I literally gasped. It was one of the highlights of the episode and acts as a sort of confirmation that the Doctor is only meant to have 13 incarnations. So no, it's what made the 50th special...special.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I punched the air in the cinema. One of the best moments.
  • doctorcheeseydoctorcheesey Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Besides, the precedent is set for seeing the doctor before regen, the watcher anyone?
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naaa sorry loved it. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Applause in the cinema I was in and even more anticipation for what he's going to be like...that look...those eyes...can't wait!
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it was the best thing ever.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I wasn't a bit fan of the story, but I loved Capaldi's brief appearance. One
    benefit of Nu-Who's arc-style plotting.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The crowd at the Excel screamed with glee, so clearly not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    I literally gasped. It was one of the highlights of the episode and acts as a sort of confirmation that the Doctor is only meant to have 13 incarnations. So no, it's what made the 50th special...special.

It didnt confirm that.....

Get the whole dialogue from that 5 seconds and you will know why
  • bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely ought to win a BAFTA for best supporting performance by a set of eyes lasting less than one second. Of course it was great to have it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i loved it :)
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reclaiimer wrote: »
    It didnt confirm that.....

Get the whole dialogue from that 5 seconds and you will know why

I said it "sort of" confirmed it. If it's just 5 seconds why don't you explain it yourself. They said "all 13 of him" and old Who has previously established that he's only meant to have 13 incarnations, and this simply ties in with that. Also, if it's not meant to sort of confirm it, where was the 14th, 15th incarnation etc.?
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That one flash of eyebrows was the first thing I went to on iplayer. I've no idea how it fits with timey-wiminess, but it made me gasp with joy.

It did look as if something of Malcolm Tucker will survive in Thirteen.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    :D:yawn:
  • jazzygeofferzjazzygeofferz Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Maybe they did the announcement show so when Capaldi turned up last night it was more of a foreshadowing. If he hadn't been announced and then he'd been in that bit it may have overshadowed the rest of the special. The talk may have been more "I can't believe they cast Peter Capaldi as the next Doctor" or "Whose eyes were they?" as opposed to talking about the other things that happened.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. I basically had three major freak out moments during the episode.

And one of them was this. It was a punch the air moment! And I think they did it about the right way, we did get to see him, but we didn't get to learn anything much about him (not even the clothes) because that's still to come!

(the other two freakout moments were when Hurt started regenerating and I almost believed that we would see Eccleston, too bad that one didn't work out, but it was still redeemed by the last freak out which was Tom Baker appearing)

I'm really really glad that I stayed far far away from the spoilers about this one as I've read on several other websites that at least somewhere the Capaldi and Baker appearances were spoiled before the episode.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

(the other two freakout moments were when Hurt started regenerating and I almost believed that we would see Eccleston, too bad that one didn't work out, but it was still redeemed by the last freak out which was Tom Baker appearing)

You saw part of him, at least. :p

One of many Ecclesteases.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Squeals in the *Sparkle* household. It was a lovely flourish to an already brilliant sequence.

A tiny touch, but so exciting. :D
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

Loved Hurt's final plea: 'Hope the ears aren't as prominent next time'. Heh heh.
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a 'wow' moment in our house. And the only bit my 12-year old wanted to wind forward to on iplayer afterwards.
  • classicsforeverclassicsforever Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    So if we can see Capaldi even before Smith regenerates, how come Clara didn't see him in the Doctor's time line?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    You saw part of him, at least. :p

Cheeky.:D

I washoping for a full regeneration scene though. I can't lie, at that moment I was just a bit angry with Chris Eccleston (while at the same time if the regeneration scene was all Moffat offered him, I can sorta understand why he'd turn it down). But all was redeemed by Tom Baker at the end. Especially because it was my first real wtf surprise of Doctor Who (ok, I didn't know about Capaldi, but it was always a possibility in my mind that we'd see just a bit of him in TDotD), even more so because Paul McGann's appearance last week was spoiled for me. I wasn't expecting it to come out until Saturday, so I checked the DWTV website without any worries and they there were with a photo gallery of McGann's return even before I managed to watch The Night of the Doctor. (and that's not even counting all the rumours in the spoilers thread on here long before that). I'm still a bit pissed that the "I'm a Doctor. But probably not the one you were expecting." had a much lesser impact on me than it could have had.