Options

Matching music to dances

sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
Forum Member
I don't normally start new threads, but I couldn't find anywhere else to ask this question.

Although I'm quite musical, I'm a non-dancer, so I get a bit lost when those who are more wise and knowledgeable than me (which is most people on here!) talk about what makes a good track for which dance.

Now, I think I know what makes a decent waltz track, but could someone let me know what constitutes the 'right' music for other dances e.g. Rhumba, quickstep, chacha etc re: speed, beat etc., cos then I might feel as if I could join in the discussions sometimes.

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm no dance expert either but i think you just kind of get a feeling about a track.

i would normally link music to the characteristics of the dance e.g Rhumba - romantic/slow-ish, Cha Cha Cha - Cheeky/Fast

i am aware that doesnt really help much now i read it back but i say you should just join in with the discussions and even have a listen to some of the suggestions other people make.

If you can imagine a dance to the song then it would be a valid choice

N x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i'm no dance expert either but i think you just kind of get a feeling about a track.

i would normally link music to the characteristics of the dance e.g Rhumba - romantic/slow-ish, Cha Cha Cha - Cheeky/Fast

i am aware that doesnt really help much now i read it back but i say you should just join in with the discussions and even have a listen to some of the suggestions other people make.

If you can imagine a dance to the song then it would be a valid choice

N x

Thanks for that Nelli,

My problem is that I don't know enough about the accepted rhythm and timing of the dances to make that choice - I can imagine dancing to all sorts of tracks, I just don't know what type of dance it would be! Probably the funky chicken a al Alesha and Matt on Fridays ITT! :D:eek::D
  • Options
    * Becca ** Becca * Posts: 4,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A basic, rough, approximate guide:

http://www.ee.udel.edu/~staiano/dance/brd/timing/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    * Becca * wrote: »
    A basic, rough, approximate guide:

http://www.ee.udel.edu/~staiano/dance/brd/timing/

Thanks for that Becca - got an idea of the timing at least now!

On that site, it says that for International Rhumba, the count is 2 3 4 -1, so does that mean it is danced on the off beat rather than on the first beat of the bar? That is the sense I get when I watch it being danced.

No wonder celebs find it difficult to do if they are not actually following the main beat pattern of the song (unlike the Waltz, which you can generally hear quite clearly) - especially if they have little natural music sense.

So many questions, so little sense....:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's true, you don't dance on the first beat of the bar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a great idea for a thread. Any more nuggets to pass on, anyone?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »

No wonder celebs find it difficult to do if they are not actually following the main beat pattern of the song (unlike the Waltz, which you can generally hear quite clearly) - especially if they have little natural music sense.

The choice of music on SCD doesn't help because it is often not in strict tempo. By that I mean it is easier to dance to if it is at the right speed with a consistent number of bars per minute and obviously the right kind of beat. Ideally both the instruments and vocals should be in line with the tempo with recognisable cues for the dancers. The phrasing should also suit the dance (e.g. rise in scale and fall).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since the rumba has been discussed above, I'll just add that my favourite rumba is "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Since the rumba has been discussed above, I'll just add that my favourite rumba is "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps"

And Bill and Karen did a tango to that in series 3.

So I suppose its all to do with how the music is arranged really:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inner Self wrote: »
    And Bill and Karen did a tango to that in series 3.

So I suppose its all to do with how the music is arranged really:confused:

Definitely - the version of "Perhaps" that goes through my head when I hear the title is definitely not a rumba track.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what they used for Rumba in the final of the British professional Latin the other week.
  • Options
    bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    love perhaps we are doing a lating theme to school show this year and I am using a few versions of perhaps in one routine the standard Cha Cha version to the rumba version and we end with it as a samba!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hehe, now that's one versitile tooon :D