The Leftovers - Season 1 - US Pace (spoilers)

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Started watching episode 9 thinking it was going to be a bland episode, but then realised the clock was ticking to the end. Brilliant episode, brilliant series. I've no idea what I'm watching but i feel I'm watching something special.

Same here. I still haven't a clue what it's about but it in engrossing to watch.

Really this is Scfi/cult without any sci-fi. Take away the first few minutes of episode one and it could be any drama about a community dealing with a major loss of life.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good back ground episode, just a shame that everyone seemed to disappear off camera.

The only person who might have been seen disappearing was the one who went while they were holding hands to complete the circuit. So it seems they just blink out of existence, no flash of light or anything similar.

I just wasn't sure if the person in the circuit had someone looking at them or not, but they certainly had someone holding their hand when they went.

BIB I think this is v. significant, the ptb not showing us what happens when someone "goes", and also them not showing us definitely SEE someone go. The people in the circuit holding their hands must have felt them leave for sure, but as to seeing... well we don't know either way.
    Maybe only people who weren't being watch left, but thinking about the lady who lost her husband + 2 kids
    (1) either they were looking at each other which means (by the above logic) they shouldn't have been taken
    or (2) they weren't which begs the question why were they ALL taken, and thus why wasn't she taken too ?
    A powerful ep leaving behind loads of questions. :)

btw: I still think the mad-dogs went mad cos they saw their owners leave.

btw2: they haven't mentioned anything about CCTV catching a "leaving" cos with all that's out there surely... SURELY.. one did.
    And what about people taken whilst during a CAT scan, or during an operation - do we know if such a thing happened or did no-one in such a position leave ?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    btw2: they haven't mentioned anything about CCTV catching a "leaving" cos with all that's out there surely... SURELY.. one did.
    And what about people taken whilst during a CAT scan, or during an operation - do we know if such a thing happened or did no-one in such a position leave ?

Plus surely there would have people who disappeared while appearing on live TV...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^and that too :). So it'd defn be significant if there was no recorded bye-bye and also no personally viewed bye-bye either. Maybe a cult formed (which we've yet to be shown) whose members ensure they are viewed 24/7 to ensure they remain when the next "withdrawal" occurs.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay, I love a good flashback episode.

It answered some questions but raised a bunch of new ones.

Nora's behaviour throughout the show has all been down to guilt. She didn't appreciate her family. She was a bit of a bitch to them in what became her final moments with them. It makes sense in so many ways why her behaviour towards her family's departure seemed much more as if she was torturing herself, because she was.

and my guess is, when people disappeared, Laurie's baby did too. Hence her look of confusion at the sonnegram screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that too, but didn't the Doctor lady leave to do something which would mean she'd have put the camera thing to one side for safety (she's not going to leave it propped up on her tummy) thus Laurie wouldn't be able to see her baby had gone. Could it be something to do with the heart beat going, maybe if the camera thing was laid down on her tummy, while not giving a picture would still detect the heart beat. Or maybe that look was her feeling an absence inside.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought that too, but didn't the Doctor lady leave to do something which would mean she'd have put the camera thing to one side for safety (she's not going to leave it propped up on her tummy) thus Laurie wouldn't be able to see her baby had gone. Could it be something to do with the heart beat going, maybe if the camera thing was laid down on her tummy, while not giving a picture would still detect the heart beat. Or maybe that look was her feeling an absence inside.

I'm pretty sure the baby was taken with everyone else.

We haven't seen the baby with the Sheriff or the mother, and it was probably the straw that broke the camel's back with their marriage, along with the affair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^just read my prev post and to clarify, yes I'm sure the baby is gone too, just not quite sure how she knows this, whether it's seeing, hearing or feeling.
    And if the Sheriff came clean about his boinking before she told him about the baby (iirc she does know about his "lapse in judgment", right ?!) then methinks that straw broke the camels back then beat it to death as well.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^just read my prev post and to clarify, yes I'm sure the baby is gone too, just not quite sure how she knows this, whether it's seeing, hearing or feeling.
    And if the Sheriff came clean about his boinking before she told him about the baby (iirc she does know about his "lapse in judgment", right ?!) then methinks that straw broke the camels back then beat it to death as well.

I think most people just thought she saw it disappear off the screen. Not being a clever clogs like you. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Talking of babies being taken in the rapture.Ssome people believe that ALL babies would be taken because they are born innocent.

But if a God is omnipotent then they will know what a baby would have done during their lifetime had they been born, so by that logic they would know if a baby would have grown up to sin and thus shouldn't be taken because they would have sinned had they not been taken so early.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think most people just thought she saw it disappear off the screen. Not being a clever clogs like you. :p

While it's possible she saw it disappear the way I saw the scene was that the moment of departure was when they heard the scream from outside the room.

So it was a few moments later before she looked back at the presumably empty screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^darn it :(, so you're saying I ain't such a clever clogs after all. :cry:
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the deal with Kevin Garvey and the blackouts? Is he suffering from some sort of split personality disorder? Or is he being possessed?
    Also, what is the significance of the deer? Kevin seems to hold some attachment to it.

Some intriguing questions. Would be interested to hear people's thoughts on this.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    What is the deal with Kevin Garvey and the blackouts? Is he suffering from some sort of split personality disorder? Or is he being possessed?
    Also, what is the significance of the deer? Kevin seems to hold some attachment to it.

With the deer I suspect it's just because it's another "religious" icon
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_in_mythology

With Kevin I suspect we'll never know for certain. He's either inherited his dad's illness or he's having a religious experience.

I'm starting to think that's the point - it's all a question open to interpretation
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    With the deer I suspect it's just because it's another "religious" icon
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_in_mythology

With Kevin I suspect we'll never know for certain. He's either inherited his dad's illness or he's having a religious experience.

I'm starting to think that's the point - it's all a question open to interpretation

Thanks. That's an interesting article. I suspected it was just some trademark Lindelofian symbolism. He sure loves his animal icons, doesn't he? :D
    Also, that reminds me, in one of Lindelof's interviews for the show, he said characters find religious meanings in things that have no real meaning. I'm starting to think that is the case with Kevin and the deer. He sees something that no one else does.

I just wonder where the writers are going with Kevin's blackouts, what actually is the purpose of them? At the moment, it feels like the writers are trying to establish a more darker personality within Kevin. This was best illustrated recently by his kidnapping of the Guilty Remnant leader - an action which horrified Kevin.

I hope the show doesn't become one big "open to interpretation" exercise. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a bit of that, but I like some concrete answers to go with it too.
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the show btw. I think the GR will dress those dolls and put them in their respective homes hence why they laid out the clothes. Nora is great, I felt her stress of trying to run a home, kids & new job, with that dick of a husband being so disinterested.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    While it's possible she saw it disappear the way I saw the scene was that the moment of departure was when they heard the scream from outside the room.

So it was a few moments later before she looked back at the presumably empty screen.
    ^darn it :(, so you're saying I ain't such a clever clogs after all. :cry:

What I meant was, if zwixxx is right about doubting that the nurse would leave the equipment on her stomach then there would be no view of the baby, anyway. I don't think a lot of people would have thought of that. I didn't, anyway. :p She definitely looked at the screen after the scream and gave the impression that she thought the baby wasn't inside her any longer, as if the image should still have been there on the screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^yay, I'm back being a clever clogs :)
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trailer for the finale
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDcxy2YXXF4

Watching how this builds (Spoilered in case I'm right)
    To lots of people looking stunned into the distance and combined with an episode title of The Prodigal Son Returns and I think they're back
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was not impressed by parts of this episode. The dream sequence went on too long IMO. Kevin seemingly getting his wish, but really Nora is it that easy, to just keep that baby. Things were not explained very well. As ever with this show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was not impressed by parts of this episode. The dream sequence went on too long IMO. Kevin seemingly getting his wish, but really Nora is it that easy, to just keep that baby. Things were not explained very well. As ever with this show.

The dream sequence was useless and annoying and didn't really add to the story.

So far there hasn't been anything supernatural about the series other than the disappearance of people.

I dislike shows that try to be profound but end up just having people with people problems.

Even the 'wish' didn't come true (so far).

No one came back from the 'dead'.

Just ordinary people being idiots because they can't understand what has happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very mixed on the finale. Perhaps one of the best new shows this year for me and yet I felt a bit over the place on the finale. Hmmmm. Perhaps the second weakest episode next to that Christoper Eccleston centric one.
  • metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dream sequence was useless and annoying and didn't really add to the story.

So far there hasn't been anything supernatural about the series other than the disappearance of people.

I dislike shows that try to be profound but end up just having people with people problems.

Even the 'wish' didn't come true (so far).

No one came back from the 'dead'.

Just ordinary people being idiots because they can't understand what has happened.

Who said the show had to be supernatural? It is primarily about 'Just ordinary people being idiots because they can't understand what has happened'.

How do you know what he wished for? I'm guessing he wished for his family back in light of everything he'd just been saying to Matt, if he did then his wish did kind of come true, even the dog came back!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen some speculation that Season 2 will focus on a new group of characters.

This speculation seems to be
    based on the fact that Season 1 finished where the book does (looking at a synopsis this seems to be true though some characters' stories end up in a slightly different place).

Of course the show may well expand the characters stories beyond what happens in the book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    I've seen some speculation that Season 2 will focus on a new group of characters.

This speculation seems to be
    based on the fact that Season 1 finished where the book does (looking at a synopsis this seems to be true though some characters' stories end up in a slightly different place).

Of course the show may well expand the characters stories beyond what happens in the book.

Hmm in some way i hope not, but then it does sort of bring some new life into the show.

I just read an interview with Carrie **** and she said everyone signed on for season 1 but that was it. Where as most shows normally sign their actors for several seasons at a time. She hasn't got a clue whether she will be back for season 2 or not.