Options

James - I was the biggest character on Strictly...

ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
Forum Member
Just watching CBB and James was chatting about Strictly with Dee.
He said how he was the biggest character out of the male dancers, the others were 'beige', apart from Anton, who he accepted had character too.

He also talked about how he didn't think Tess and Claudia should have replaced Bruce, and that there should still be a man and woman hosting...possibly Michael Barrymore!!! :o

Comments

• Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Poor Ola - he seems to have forgotten that she's still got to work with the other professionals!
  • Options
    gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    He was the biggest something on Strictly.
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good of him to raise the show's profile from inside the BB house. Kind of loyal :cool:
  • Options
    Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    Poor Ola - he seems to have forgotten that she's still got to work with the other professionals!

I think it is more poor Anton! :D:D:D.
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ads84 wrote: »
    He said how he was the biggest character out of the male dancers, the others were 'beige', apart from Anton, who he accepted had character too.

He also talked about how he didn't think Tess and Claudia should have replaced Bruce, and that there should still be a man and woman hosting...possibly Michael Barrymore!!! :o

I've had a sneaky look at James's thesaurus (yes, really - he does have one).

Character noun: knob, idiot, gobsh*te, moron, dullard, twit (and the other one with a different vowel), ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, simpleton, jerk, d*ckhead, fool, dolt, dingbat, buffoon, oaf

I think he might be right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spin turn wrote: »
    I think it is more poor Anton! :D:D:D.

Anton will probably just preen himself and agree :cool::D
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a sneaky look at James's thesaurus (yes, really - he does have one).

Character noun: knob, idiot, gobsh*te, moron, dullard, twit (and the other one with a different vowel), ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, simpleton, jerk, d*ckhead, fool, dolt, dingbat, buffoon, oaf

I think he might be right.

I was looking for the "favourite" button...been using Twitter too much :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    Dear God James, just STFU! If he loves Ola so much he should remember she's still got to work on the show.

Personally, I found James obnoxious on Strictly and, outside of that, he didn't have much of a character on the show. Anton, Brendan, Ian, Vincent, Artem and Robin all seemed to have much more of a presence than him. The quieter pros like Aljaz, Pasha and Matthew have much more charm and a better relationship with their celebs. James's replacement, Tristan, is instantly more likeable.

James's suggestion of Michael Barrymore as a presenter just goes to show how old-fashioned and out of touch his thinking is. If that was the level of his contribution to the creative decisions behind the show then no wonder they hit the refresh button on his presence. I didn't like the way he talked about same-sex couples either. He seems obsessed with proving how masculine he is, never minding that he is insulting women and homosexual people along the way. In general, I find his constant going on about 'British values' whenever he is being bigoted and rude as thoroughly toxic.

I've never believed he was sacked because of his bad-boy, mouthy presence on-screen. I think he was sacked because he was an arsehole for the production team and other dancers to deal with behind the scenes.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha

James, James, James you certainly werent the biggest character on Strictly - biggest knob - yes, biggest ego - yes

you need to remember your wife is still working with these beige characters - do you want to make life even more uncomfortable for her?

Just button your big cake hole for once

Sometimes honestly ISNT the best policy!
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    It all seems so daft with the things he has been saying about the show I have to wonder if it's one big publicity stunt to get people talking about SCD (him leaving and going on BB being an indirect part of it)
  • Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hahaha! He's just confirming how oafish & lacking in class he really is.
    SCD will be better without him.
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James was a knob on SCD. he wasn't even a great dancer compared to the other Pros. Theyear he danced with Denise Van Outen, she was BETTER than him.
  • Options
    aimeeaimee1000aimeeaimee1000 Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ads84 wrote: »

What ! just cannot believe what he says sometimes gone completely off him now, as for Michael Barrymore no thank you never.:o
  • Options
    marieofromaniamarieofromania Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor deluded James! He was only ever a poor man's Brendan Cole.
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am reminded of Ringo Starr saying about being one of the top four drummers in the world and John snarling that he wasn't even one of the top four drummers in the Beatles...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nancy1975 wrote: »
    I am reminded of Ringo Starr saying about being one of the top four drummers in the world and John snarling that he wasn't even one of the top four drummers in the Beatles...

Ah, so much wittier calling him a knob or a dick. You wouldn't mind a put-down like that :D:D
  • Options
    white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear God James, just STFU! If he loves Ola so much he should remember she's still got to work on the show.

Personally, I found James obnoxious on Strictly and, outside of that, he didn't have much of a character on the show. Anton, Brendan, Ian, Vincent, Artem and Robin all seemed to have much more of a presence than him. The quieter pros like Aljaz, Pasha and Matthew have much more charm and a better relationship with their celebs. James's replacement, Tristan, is instantly more likeable.

James's suggestion of Michael Barrymore as a presenter just goes to show how old-fashioned and out of touch his thinking is. If that was the level of his contribution to the creative decisions behind the show then no wonder they hit the refresh button on his presence. I didn't like the way he talked about same-sex couples either. He seems obsessed with proving how masculine he is, never minding that he is insulting women and homosexual people along the way. In general, I find his constant going on about 'British values' whenever he is being bigoted and rude as thoroughly toxic.

I've never believed he was sacked because of his bad-boy, mouthy presence on-screen. I think he was sacked because he was an arsehole for the production team and other dancers to deal with behind the scenes.

You're right there--as for his demented idea of 'bringing back Barrymore'::o:o:o That said, I love him on CBB and agree with most of his brilliantly expressed views of other HMs/situations and he really makes me laugh as well as cringe. Great CBB HM!! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Barrymore was a genius at hosting to be fair to him. If ge promised to get coked upto the eyeballs again id love to see him back on telly
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Poor deluded James! He was only ever a poor man's Brendan Cole.

I think they're pretty close in the knob stakes, myself.
    I've seen both of them do good work with certain celebs, but as soon as they open their mouths…
    Unfortunately, Big Brother is a show where people have nothing to do except talk crap to each other all day long. Not ideal for someone like James.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately, Big Brother is a show where people have nothing to do except talk crap to each other all day long. Not ideal for someone like James.

As James seems to talk crap every time he opens his mouth, I'd have thought CBB was his natural habitat.
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He kind of said something along the same lines earlier on didn't he (first week in there) about the show making the Pros all look equal even though some were bigger characers than others, or was he just mainly sighting himself as the big character. The beige comment just sort of adds to that, and I presumed he was including the female pros in that category too (apart from maybe his wife, would he have a bias that they are apart from the rest).

I don't really understand why Claudia becoming the new main-joint host would be the easy route (in terms of her and Tess). Just because Ballroom dancing is danced (traditionally) by a man and a woman, why would that have to be reflected in the gender of the two hosts? I have no problem with James wanting a man host, that's fair enough (I wouldn't have minded if we had got that instead), I just didn't get the idea that their genders had to be refelctive of Ballroom dancing coupling, and why two female hosts would be the easy option. Easy in what way? There are hosts on other shows that are both male, both female and male and female, does the gender really matter? Sure, I wouldn't have minded if a Michael Barrymore type hosted Strictly (say if he had even considerered or asked by the Beeb), but I still query why two females are the easy route? Traditionally Tv is usually with a man and woman, there aren't loads of female/female joint hosts are there, so it's not easy, but more rare and non-easy, no?

My house get the impression that James feels he's bigger than Strictly, so maybe a new TV route were he can sound off to major degree (as you can do and sort of encouraged to do in BB) is the better future path for him. We did find it funny that he forgot the Brad Pitt comment and embarassed by it too. It makes me think he's poss forgot a fair amount of (perhaps silly) things he's aired in there if he can't even remember sucha statement as saying he was the Brad Pitt of Ballroom.

He's certainly polarised opinion in there and of course he's not all bad (it would be daft to assume he's in the same league as some truly nasty people out there). He's prob could tweak his filter, or at least learn to consider that regardless of how strong knows is, recognise that some others aren't and require a different way of communicating with. If he tailored his manner more, it then might look like he's being honest (as he thinks he's is) rather than just a nob**h. After all, it is delivery in what you say alongside the content, and if you don't deliver appropriately, no one will listen, no matter how well intended you're being. That's the main area I think he goes wrong sometimes. Just because we think something, it doesn't always need to be said, or can worded in a more appropriate tone. All individuals are different and take things differenly. And of course he needs to remember, and I think he does now, that not everyone wants jokes made at their expense. I'm sure he's sensitive with Ola, but he can prob extend some care to others as well. other than that, he's doing well in there, lol, if you forget the booing. As he himself alluded to, even bad publicity is good publicity so I doubt he'll care whether he comes out as a pantomine villain. He'll prob thrive on it.
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    As James seems to talk crap every time he opens his mouth, I'd have thought CBB was his natural habitat.

That was my point. James is at his best when teaching people how to dance rather than having his views aired, IMO.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will miss his banter with the judges and his non-sense attitude. His choreography was a bit simplistic at times but imo he was one of the rare pros who could choreograph simple but effective choreos for his celebrities....yes he has a bit of an ego but hey ho we are all different, aren't we all ?
    I dont know why the Jordans get so much flack on DS :confused:They are really lovely people; I still remember how they were the first pros to properly welcome Artem, Bobby...when they came to strictly; Help them settled in outside the show (show them the city,......)
    Yes I understand that James temperament may not be appealing to everybody but he is not that bad.... Besides some people have to remember that most of these pros/judges have a " role " to play; James and Brendan : the " bad boys " of strictly; Craig : the pantomine; mean judge, Len : Grumpy, Bruno : Wild............so what they show on scd is not always how they are in real life....For example, Craig is really lovely/sweet outside strictly....

Anyways, I especially loved James on ITT; He had a great talent for presenting bits and pieces behind the scenes; Natural in the front of the camera.

And yes, I miss him :(; Ola will probably be gone next year too :(

Sigh..............I didnt mean to ramble :blush::blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely agree with you edy about James and ITT. In the bits he did last year he was somewhat sly, abrasive and witty and good to camera. It's a significant loss to my enjoyment of SCD this year that the producers weren't able to persuade him, or didn't think to ask him, to take on that role now his full SCD role seems to have come to an end. Instead we will have more Zoe being too excited to come up with better questions than 'How pleased were you to get a 6 from Len?' and permutations on that (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9).