Options

Kitten conundrum

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
Forum Member
✭✭
My problem is I had three cats. Two 12 year old boys (moggies) from the same litter and a female bengal aged 6. I lost one of my boys quite unexpectedly last week (aggressive tumour in his mouth, I am absolutely gutted). My worry is that I will lose my other boy sooner rather than later (his has medication for a heart problem) leaving my bengal without companionship.

My bengal is rather bolshy but was very socialable with the cat that died (they used to cuddle up together). My other cat with the heart problem is quiet and sleeps rather a lot but they do get in well.

Basically I don't know what is for the best. We tried to introduce an outside cat (there are two which live in my utility room, their choice not mine) a while back with limited success (the bengal makes a noise similar to something from a jungle and hides behind the sofa, I hasten to add she was not under any threat at the time).

My question is would a kitten (i.e. a younger) cat be better to introduce as the bengal may feel less threatened. I hadn't really anticipated getting a kitten right now but I have to think going forward that getting one now might be better than getting one after my other boy has gone so there is some continuity?!?!?!?!

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Kittens tend to get a lot of love and praise as they aren't a threat to territory as adult cats see them as babies to look after and also teach them how to be cats.

Least that is what my neighbours cat used to do with my Impossible Princess. They used to go bird watching together. Cute days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    Kittens tend to get a lot of love and praise as they aren't a threat to territory as adult cats see them as babies to look after and also teach them how to be cats.

Least that is what my neighbours cat used to do with my Impossible Princess. They used to go bird watching together. Cute days.

Any news on her whereabouts, Stud?:(
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a female Bengal, she is an only cat and utterly vicious to the other cats in the neighbourhood, except one little black and white one that she plays with, goodness knows why, the only reason I can think of it is smaller than Nook and she doesn't see it as a threat, plus it was quite nonplussed when she when in to attack mode when they first met, a gentle gradual introduction to a kitten might work fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    If it is a kitten you want to introduce, there should be no long term problems.
    For one thing, your Bengal is used to having other cats around - so is not used to having your exclusive attention, and as mentioned, when it is kitten most cats and dogs are more accepting than introducing an adult who could be seen as a threat.

My Delilah was terrible for the first week after I brought Samson home, for that whole week if they were in the same room Delilah would be on edge, and if they came within a few feet of each other, her hackles would raise up and she would scowl - one time she even shat the floor in full hackle mode.
    But she did calm down after that week and they get on really well now - even had a litter together last year, one of which I kept.

Sorry to hear about you Toms though, my worst fear is any one of my three going before their time, or being ill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stud, so sorry to hear about your Impossible Princess, I hope you find her soon.
  • Options
    funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,350
    Forum Member
    Introduce a kitten slowly, there will be some moodyness, some hissing, some tapping and a few indignant looks but that will go and one day you will probably find the kitten snuggled up to the cat that supposedly hates it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my issues is that I feel if I got another cat then there are plenty of adult cats which need homes. There are two cats which adopted us about 2 years ago which live in our utility room. I have tried to bring the most domesticated of the two in and aclimatise slowly with little success. Chew (the bengal) just goes mad and then hides (the outside cat could not care less tbh).

If anyone has got any extra hints and tips on how to get Chew in a better headspace with the outside cat then I think I am going to have to give up and go down the kitten line.
  • Options
    funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,350
    Forum Member
    One of my issues is that I feel if I got another cat then there are plenty of adult cats which need homes. There are two cats which adopted us about 2 years ago which live in our utility room. I have tried to bring the most domesticated of the two in and aclimatise slowly with little success. Chew (the bengal) just goes mad and then hides (the outside cat could not care less tbh).

If anyone has got any extra hints and tips on how to get Chew in a better headspace with the outside cat then I think I am going to have to give up and go down the kitten line.

I think an outdoor living cat coming in would upset your cat. Territory and all that. That's different to a new housemate and has to been done slowly.
    If you want to go down the cat route and I understand why you would, do it SLOWLY, no introduction at first, swapping of scents of bedding , small introductions with you there, lots of time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice everyone. We have decided to go down the kitten route. There is a local breeder of burmese who has a male ready to go this weekend. We are going to visit and see of it wotks out. Might have a new arrival by next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The burmese breeder was really nice with lovely healthy well brought up kittens. As a result of this we brought baby Brandon home yesterday.

He is currently ensconced in his kitten nursery (it was the dining room until yesterday, table has been deconstructed and moved) with a plethora of kitten paraphernalia.

Am very heartened by my guys response, I thought my bengal would be bouncing off the walls but she has been really calm and interested. I've had both of my guys lined up outside the kitten nursery door. Both wanting extra attention. I have taken every opportunity to rub kitten smell on both of them. Time will tell. I am going for a long and gentle introduction :)