painful cat scratch - am i allergic to my cat?

yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
Forum Member
my cat scratched me on my finger early in the day. its strange because the scratch still hurts now and when my other baby cat used to scratch me the pain would go away almost straight away. iv noticed this happening a few times, do you think i might be allergic?

Comments

• iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you think?
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, just a cat scratch - although if your finger swells up, goes red and then starts oozong a green, foul smelling pus...you may have a problem!

Alternatively, as you seem to have given up your degree, how about studying to be a vet?
  • CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    yappy wrote: »
    my cat scratched me on my finger early in the day. its strange because the scratch still hurts now and when my other baby cat used to scratch me the pain would go away almost straight away. iv noticed this happening a few times, do you think i might be allergic?

Yes - to common sense.
  • yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
    Forum Member
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »
    What do you think?

i dont know. my other cat (who is now RingIP) we had from like age 3 weeks and i never found his scratches painful. i am wondering if part of the reason the scratch is painful is because our cat that we have now was neglected by his owners and used to eat out of bins. he was like a skeleton, i think he was about a year or so old when we took him in, we only started noticing him when he made friends with our other cat, and now we feed him, take him to the vets, he basically lives in our house lol! :) but im just wondering if he may have picked up some disease or something eating from the bins that is making me to be allergic to his scratches :confused:
    Forum Member
    No, just a cat scratch - although if your finger swells up, goes red and then starts oozong a green, foul smelling pus...you may have a problem!

Alternatively, as you seem to have given up your degree, how about studying to be a vet?

oh i cant really see my finger clealy at the mo as the only light is from my macbook and a lamp in the corner of my room. there is no pus tho ew hehe. it feels like there is a sharp pain where my scratch is.

lol :D im not sure being a vet would be for me. i have a phobia of dogs (not cute ones just any like labradors or pitbulls scare me to death)
    Forum Member
    Cruachan wrote: »
    Yes - to common sense.

so does that mean you think i am or arent? :confused:
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because cats have filthy nails. They go in the litter tray and all sorts of places.
  • PobletPoblet Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, I will bite. If it was earlier today there is no way of knowing, a scratch hurts, like a paper cut. It takes days to heal.

BTW I have had cat scratches that hurt for more than one day and I am still alive.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh i cant really see my finger clealy at the mo as the only light is from my macbook and a lamp in the corner of my room. there is no pus tho ew hehe. it feels like there is a sharp pain where my scratch is.

lol :D im not sure being a vet would be for me. i have a phobia of dogs (not cute ones just any like labradors or pitbulls scare me to death)

:D:DOK being a vet is out then!

Seriously, a cat scratch is not normally a problem but cat's nails are very sharp and so the scratch will be sore for a couple of days - just bathe the scratch in water with a little dettol added and keep it clean. It is not a sign that you are allergic to cats. However, some people (even those that handle cats every day) do sometimes react to a scratch. If the scratch area becomes very red and hot to the touch, or you begin to feel unwell, then I would advise going to see your GP asap. If your arm starts swelling as well, forget the GP and go to A & E
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member

Aren't cats banned on campus? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because cats have filthy nails. They go in the litter tray and all sorts of places.

It could have rabies, A&E is the place to go. You could be delirious by tomorrow.
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    It could have rabies, A&E is the place to go. You could be delirious by tomorrow.

I completely agree. I've known it happen. If you get treatment in the first 48 hours it should be ok, if not he will probably die.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Tomorrow?:eek: I think that moment has already arrived. ;) Poor yappy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tomorrow?:eek: I think that moment has already arrived. ;) Poor yappy.

It should have been today, i've been at a party tonight.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It should have been today, i've been at a party tonight.

Not the time of your post, I was insulting yappy, woodbush. I failed. :(:) I meant that yappy was already delirious.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Not the time of your post, I was insulting yappy, woodbush. I failed. :(:) I meant that yappy was already delirious.

I got it Jimmy :)

Am I alone in sometimes wondering if yappy likes pigeons? Coo.

Or baby dolphins?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Always has been:D:D,
  • Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Yappy dangles the bait!
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe get a budgie.
    Forum Member

do they? his nails never look that dirty to me. and he refuses to use the litter tray these days! goes outside to do his business
    Forum Member
    :D:DOK being a vet is out then!

Seriously, a cat scratch is not normally a problem but cat's nails are very sharp and so the scratch will be sore for a couple of days - just bathe the scratch in water with a little dettol added and keep it clean. It is not a sign that you are allergic to cats. However, some people (even those that handle cats every day) do sometimes react to a scratch. If the scratch area becomes very red and hot to the touch, or you begin to feel unwell, then I would advise going to see your GP asap. If your arm starts swelling as well, forget the GP and go to A & E

Iv woken up this morning and my scratch STILL hurts. :cry: okay thanks!!! its not that red or hot so il try your dettol idea, i hope it doesnt sting too much
    Forum Member

what are the symptoms of rabies? :eek:
    Forum Member
    owllover wrote: »
    I got it Jimmy :)

Am I alone in sometimes wondering if yappy likes pigeons? Coo.

Or baby dolphins?

:rolleyes: yes you are

i hate pigeons :mad: 2 of them almost swooped down and tried to steal my pasty one time wen i was in town :cry:
    Forum Member
    Maybe get a budgie.

Erm, nah, budgies are boring
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A woman who works for my friend got an infected arm after her cat scratched her. She was in hospital for a week, had IV antibiotics and had to have an operation to have the wound drained.