Options

Senior Cat Food

Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,699
Forum Member
✭✭
Why is it so expensive ?

Why when supermarkets are doing an offer does it usually exclude senior food ?

And why is there so little choice ?

Sounds like a moan but it does cost a lot to look after 2 cats aged 10+. We get them either whiskers oh so meaty or felix as good as it gets. Normally both are about £4.50 for 12 pouches so it soon adds up. Morrisons at the moment have them at half price ( max 3 per customer ) so we grabbed a few.

But anybody else notice this problem ? Can you recommend a good senior cat food ? Is there any good online shops ?

many thanks

Comments

• Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shouldn't bother with the senior food to be honest. Little more than a marketing ploy.

Senor foods tend to be lower calorie and lower phosphorous. But calorie and phosphorous levels vary enormously in different brands anyway! Even within different flavours of the same brand.

Any good quality food would be OK. While Applaws is the best by a long way it is expensive. Other good foods include Joe & Jill, Fish4Cats, Arden Grange, Royal Canin, James Wellbeloved and many others. Check the labels to see how the contents vary.

An alternative is feeding raw foods - you do need to read up a lot beforehand though and it is a kerfuffle to begin with. Took me ages to switch the cats (Dogs on the other hand, so much easier!)

Whiskas and Felix are nice for treats, but they aren't the best foods out there and for the price I think you can find much better foods.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Senior Cat Food was suggested for older cats by vets too
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Friend has two cats one is about 18yrs old the other is over 20yrs for the last few weeks she has been buying senior cat food for cats 11+ yrs from Waitrose ,she said her cats really love it and so far they havent gone off it.
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Senior Cat Food was suggested for older cats by vets too

some do if the older cat isn't especially active as it contains less calories and lower oil contents (as i recall)

older animals need less nutrition as they slow down a lot as they age and don't burn as many calories as they did when they were younger

some senior foods are usually easier to eat and easily digestable, but if yours can still cope with eating the regular food, continue with it, just perhaps hold a little back to reduce the calories they're taking in as they age
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I don't bother with Senior food, I have a 13 year old cat and she eats the same as my others who are 8 and 4 (Felix pouches). My 4 year old has a violent intolerance of many foods so he has 'special' dry food from the vet and all three cats eat that too - it's too difficult trying to give them separate stuff.

I agree with SM that senior food (and kitten food) is a marketing ploy, neither of those existed when I first got a cat in 1964, he lived to be 20 so he seemed to do fine without them.