Comments

• Options
    Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    No .....
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    Exactly ....
    So, neither of you wish to see widespread ownership of companies, and the consequential accountability of those companies; fascinating!
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given Sky owns a chunk of ITV, maybe turnaround should be fair play and ITV should snap up the outstanding 39% of Sky. Although I suppose that's probably against whatever rules prohibited Sky from owning a bigger piece of ITV in the first place.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Dan's Dad wrote: »
    News Corps shares should be donated to Licence Fee holders who are not customers of BSkyB, by way of compensation for loss of FTA Test cricket and corruption of UK democratic procedures.

I see, corruption only affects TVL holders that don't have Sky.

Rarely have I read such complete tripe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    Then you are living in a fantasy world
    no, its just an alternative way of thinking.
    btw there have been highlights of test cricket on fta
    totally aware of that, but irrelevant.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    So, neither of you wish to see widespread ownership of companies, and the consequential accountability of those companies; fascinating!
    Why should those who can't afford, or won't subscribe to, or can't subscribe to Sky for whatever reason, be donated shares of the company and, therefore, have a say in how it's run?

I'm not a Vodafone customer, so do I want a say in how they run their business? No!

That's how it should be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mersey70 wrote: »
    I see, corruption only affects TVL holders that don't have Sky.
    I am more than happy to concede distribution amongst all TVL holders, indeed, that is implicit in post 15.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no, its just an alternative way of thinking.totally aware of that, but irrelevant.

Keep digging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am more than happy to concede distribution amongst all TVL holders, indeed, that is implicit in post 15.

Ah I see.

That makes your standpoint all the more rational :confused:
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

Rarely have I read such complete tripe.

So said anyone of a reasonable mind when they read Rupert Murdoch's testimony to the Leveson enquiry.....
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other 61% of BSkyB is already widely owned.

If News Corp is forced to sell then it seems highly likely that it will be through some sort of stock market placing which will result in their 39% becoming similarly widely owned.

As for the idea of a "donation" to LF holders, well, as with everything about this case, it's going to be governed by the law.

I'm not aware of any law which says that anyone losing their broadcast licence can be required to forfeit their shares without compensation so that will not happen.

Fortunately we don't live in a country where people can just change the law on a whim because they happen to feel like it.

As for what OFCOM is going to do I'm still waiting for any journalist to set out the exact procedure including details of any possible appeal process. As previously posted it seems to me that that is absolutely critical in assessing what is likely to happen. ie:

- IF no appeal, high likelihood OFCOM will act.

- IF appeal process exists, OFCOM likely to be more cautious and even if they do act we can probably settle in for a year or two of legal argument.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mikw wrote: »
    So said anyone of a reasonable mind when they read Rupert Murdoch's testimony to the Leveson enquiry.....

Come on, are you seriously saying all News Corp's BSkyB shares should just be given away, and just to TVL holders?

I'd happily have some though :)

Seriously though the level on debate in these forums has degenerated into fantasy.
  • Options
    Transient1Transient1 Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We haven't actually got to the point where News Corps are forced to sell their shares although today's report makes it a bit more likely. I think when it comes to the crunch News corps will try and get off the hook by negotiating concessions. The only way i can see that succeeding is if Murdoch resigns and corporate governance issues are sorted.
    If they are forced to sell the shares then presumably they will just go on to the stock market for institutions and private individuals to buy?
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't care less.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Come on, are you seriously saying all News Corp's BSkyB shares should just be given away, and just to TVL holders?

I don't recall ever saying that.........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't recall ever saying that.........

But you (yet again) only part quoted my post that was in response to someone who suggested just that.

I am sure you find it as ridiculous as me.
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think News Corp will sell their shares in BskyB, all they will do is get a broadcasting licence in Ireland, a newly independent Scotland , Holland or other EU country and use that to broadcast into the United Kingdom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But you quoted my post that was in response to someone who suggested just that.

I didn't actually say it, did i?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't actually say it, did i?

You didn't, I agree.

You conveniently part quoted me yet again though removing any context from what I said, something you regularly do.

Then again you are a journalist that works freelance for Murdoch/BSkyB so no surprise there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You didn't, I agree.

You conveniently part quoted me yet again though removing any context from what I said, something you regularly do.

Then again you are a journalist!

Who works for BskyB. Kind of blows your argument out of the water.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mad_dude wrote: »
    Who works for BskyB. Kind of blows your argument out of the water.

Mikw is a freelance journalist for Sky Sports, the person I FULLY quoted.

But he also hates Murdoch, he's happy to take his shilling though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mikw is a freelance journalist for Sky Sports, the person I fully quoted.

So why would a freelance journalist for Sky Sports want the shares be given away. He would stand to gain more by suggesting shares should be divided up amongst the employees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mad_dude wrote: »
    So why would a freelance journalist for Sky Sports want the shares be given away. He would stand to gain more by suggesting shares should be divided up amongst the employees.

If you bothered reading we have established he wasn't talking about the shares, he decided to part quote me and change the subject totally.

He always does it to suit his own somewhat contrived position.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikw is a freelance journalist for Sky Sports, the person I FULLY quoted.

With all due respect Mersey70 you have now brought that up about ten times. How is it relevant? Why does it offend you so much? It just clutters thread with personal accusations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Transient1 wrote: »
    With all due respect Mersey70 you have now brought that up about ten times. How is it relevant? Why does it offend you so much? It just clutters thread with personal accusations.

Read the previous posts please on part quoting people out of context.

That's all my gripe was but he's good at it being a journalist.

Anyway getting back onto what I was actually talking about before my quotes were hijacked I think any sane person would agree the giving away of BSkyB shares just to TVL holders is nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read the previous posts please on part quoting people out of context.

That's all my gripe was but he's good at it being a journalist.

Anyway getting back onto what I was actually talking about before my quotes were hijacked I think any sane person would agree the giving away of BSkyB shares just to TVL holders is nonsense.

If you were quoted out of context that is wrong I just don't see what it as relevant what a persons job is unless their posting seems to be blind loyalty driven by personal gain.
    Anyway like you say back to the discussion. :)