Options

The Golden Girls (1985 - 1992)

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I have got the UK schedule and not the US The Golden Girls will be on at 6pm every evening.
    http://www.uk.tlc.com/tv-guide/?type=day&channel_code=TLCK-ENG&date=02052013&style=day&filter=1800

My fave order:

Sophia - The one liners, the wit,the sarcasm are second to none.
    Dorothy - The put downs and those facial expressions.
    Stan - The forgotten Golden Girl amazingly played an episode with Stan made it 20 times better.
    Blanche - **** and proud of it no man is safe.
    Rose - I was never a big Rose fan she started to get annoying particularly in the last season and never liked Miles.
  • Options
    rachierachie Posts: 2,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is great news! Thanks for the heads up, this is one of my all time fave sitcoms :)
    Craig wrote: »
    Coming Soon to TLC.

SITCOM: Golden Girls
    On: TLC HD (125)
    Date: Thursday 2nd May 2013 (starting in 13 days)
    Time: 10:00 to 10:30 (30 minutes long)

The Engagement. Series 1, episode 1.
    Four single middle-aged women share a house in Miami Beach, Florida. Featuring witty Dorothy, man-hunting Blanche, spaced-out Rose and Dorothy's out¬spoken mother, Sophia.
    (1985)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=25307

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10am and 6pm
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    My favourites were Dorothy and Blanche.

I'm so glad they're showing it on TV soon, hopefully I'll get to see from season 5 onwards for the first time since it originally aired.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if I have TLC, but if I do, I shall be series recording it.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems TLC are not showing them in order.

Thursday, 2nd May, 2013

10:00am: The Golden GirlsSeason 1 Episode 1: The Engagement

10:30am: The Golden GirlsSeason 1 Episode 22: Job Hunting

6:00pm: The Golden GirlsSeason 1 Episode 8: The Break-in

6:30pm: The Golden GirlsSeason 1 Episode 2: Guess Who's Coming to the Wedding

:confused:

http://www.locatetv.com/uk/listings/tlc#02-May-2013
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent show - one of the best of the 80s, along with Cheers. I was thinking of one of my favourite episodes of all - 'Love Me Tender', in which Dorothy dates a short, bald man with whom she has nothing in common - except for great lovemaking. So many hilarious lines and a great performance by John Fiedler (best known as the voice of Piglet) as Eddie, the weedy guy who is inexplicably a 'love machine' despite having a dreadful personality. So many great lines and exchanges:-

Eddie (Turning up for a date with Dorothy): I suppose I gotta feed ya?

Rose: Don't worry, Rose Nylund can keep a secret; do you know what Rose Nylund means in Norwegian?
    Dorothy: No, what?
    Rose: I'm not telling you.

Eddie: I'm sorry. I'm still not really recovered. You see, after 25 years of marriage, my wife Roberta sent me a Dear John letter.
    Rose: That's terrible. Married 25 years and she doesn't know your name is Eddie?

Dorothy: He took us to his ex wife Roberta's crab restaurant.
    Rose: How do you know it was his ex wife's place?
    Dorothy: Because she owns the place, runs the place, and calls it 'Roberta's'. As soon as we got there he burst into tears and begged her to come back to him. And after he had wept over his crab cakes, I begged her to come back to him.
    Rose: So I guess you're not gonna see him again.
    Dorothy: Yes. Yes I will.
    Sophia: Listen, pussycat, it's been a long time since you've been out on a date. And it's quite possible you can no longer judge a good one from a bad one. So let me be of help. Bad date, Dorothy.
    [Slapping Dorothy's hand]
    Bad, bad date.

Eddie: I know I'm plain to look at, but everything I do seems to drive the opposite sex crazy! I don't do it on purpose, it just happens! The way I look at a woman... the way I make love to a woman... the way I kiss a woman... the way I make love to a woman.
    Rose: You said "make love" twice.
    Eddie: I know. It's my favourite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They obviously decided to make Sophia less stroke prone after the pilot I wonder if some people thought they were taking the pee a bit out of stroke victims.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the pilot Charlie was dead 15 years in the episode just show they said it had been 5 years.
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They played fast and loose with the chronology in GG, when Dorothy's son Michael appeared he certainly wasn't old enough to have been born when she was still in high school.

5 years makes a lot more sense than 15 anyway.
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this exchange between Sophia and her sister Angela:

SOPHIA PETRILLO
    If you didn't come here to apologize, why don't you leave?

ANGELA
    Why should I apologize?

SOPHIA PETRILLO
    I'll tell you why, because you're nothing but a back-stabbing Judas in sensible shoes!

ANGELA
    Oh, yeah? Well, you know what you are? You're a two-lire tramp with cheap bridgework!

SOPHIA PETRILLO
    May you put your dentures in upside down and chew your head off!

ANGELA
    May your legs grow old and gnarled and withered like an olive branch... [looking at Sophia's legs] you should be so lucky.

SOPHIA PETRILLO
    May your moles grow hair thicker than Jerry Vale's!

ANGELA
    May your marinara sauce never cling to your pasta!

SOPHIA PETRILLO
    Oooooh [biting her own fist], that's it! Come back here and say that to my face!

SOPHIA PETRILLO
    Everything I have, you try to steal. May the bags under your eyes grow so large your head falls in 'em!

ANGELA
    May your shampoo get mixed up with your Preparation H and shrink your head to the size of a mushroom!!
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this series. It gives me one of my favourite lines.

Blanche was desperately fishing for compliments from the others but their responses were clearly not cutting the mustard with her so Dorothy comes out with "No woman has ever looked as beautiful as you do in this moment and no woman ever will"!

Now THAT is a compliment!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember that dance marathon when Rose started to tell a St Olaf story?

Dorothy immediately shouted: "Foul! send the judge over here, this woman is trying to send us to sleep!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame TLC have dropped it today most smaller channels keep the same schedules on Bank Holidays.

It was genius to give Blanche the initials B.E.D. I wonder if that was planned by the creator or dreamed up during the series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is only scene in the entire 7 series that brought sadness instead of laughter.

SOPHIA PETRILLO
    [breaking down in tears] I did love him. He was my son, my little boy. But every time I saw him, I always wondered what I did, what I said, when was the day that I did whatever I did to make him the way he was.

ANGELA
    What he was, Sophia, was a good man.

SOPHIA PETRILLO
    [sobbing] My baby is gone.

ANGELA
    Oh, Sophia... [she and Sophia embrace as the episode ends]
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,016
    Forum Member
    Bea Arthur was the best.

I recall one episode she was trying her hand at stand up comedy. She was talking about the dating scene in your 'latter' years, and having to be none-too-fussy, if my memory serves me right.

"That's the trouble with going out with someone in a coma.... you always have to go over to HIS place."
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    20 Golden Girls Comebacks:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/great-golden-girls-comebacks

:D I use that "Pray for brains" gif a lot.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Shame TLC have dropped it today most smaller channels keep the same schedules on Bank Holidays.

It was genius to give Blanche the initials B.E.D. I wonder if that was planned by the creator or dreamed up during the series.

Definitely 100% dreamed up by a later writer during the series. In an earlier episode, Blanche's old "Mammy" comes to visit and she snaps, 'BLANCHE MARIE HOLLINGSWORTH, YOU COME HERE!'. It was only in a later episode something thought it would be funny if her initials were B.E.D. And they were right!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well donr to tlc only one week on air and they manage to repeat an episode... showing them in order would help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's worth every penny buying the entire 7 series. You can cut out the commercials and watch in any sequence you like, plus bonus features on some. Cheaper to buy each series separately than the complete box set at £129 at amazon.
  • Options
    MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loving watching this show again. Its such good humour
  • Options
    liamhereliamhere Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just classic tv.....never ages nor will the ladies
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jw2011 wrote: »
    Rue's Ring is a real treasure.

I also got a box set with all 7 seasons which keeps me happy.

As Ma would say, she did put it about a bit, though!

Seriously though, that a great keepsake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rose: Would you like a cup of tea?
    Sophia: I'm not in England I'm having a heart attack. :D
  • Options
    ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TLC is on Virgin, channel 167.