Gary Glitter

1235»

Comments

• Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not aware of this huge hatred of Phil Collins.

You've been living under a ****ing stone then.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/8357227/Phil-Collins-I-quit-music-but-no-one-will-miss-me.html

"The most hated man in rock"

Not Gary Glitter.
    Weird you'd bring him up and compare him to a paedophile.

His reputation isn't a lot better was the point I was making. About as many people admit to liking Phil Collins as Gary Glitter, and Collins didn't have to commit a crime to become such a figure of contempt. That was the point I made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »
    I think it was just badly phrased ;)

I phrase everything very carefully. Pleased to see I've put the cat amongst the pigeons though. I was making the comparison between someone considered unacceptable in the music industry because he's got an unpleasant criminal conviction (Glitter) and someone considered unacceptable because his music is considered embarrassing and he is widely regarded as a tw*t (Collins).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Given Mark Knopfler and co. are excellent songwriters
    and musicians, I was always puzzled by the music
    critics' hostility toward Dire Straits. Maybe it was "Hype Backlash" against the massive success
    of "Brothers in Arms" ?

I've no idea what you mean by "Knopfler and co.", since Knopfler wrote the songs on his own.

Whether Knopfler is an "excellent songwriter" is clearly a matter of opinion. I don't think he is because the songs never get covered by anyone else, which is one of the principal signs of a song's endurance and wide appeal. Their music also doesn't seem to have lasted in popularity in the way songs by The Beatles, Queen, Abba, Elton John etc have. He was clearly a technically good guitarist though.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I've no idea what you mean by "Knopfler and co.", since Knopfler wrote the songs on his own.

Whether Knopfler is an "excellent songwriter" is clearly a matter of opinion. I don't think he is because the songs never get covered by anyone else, which is one of the principal signs of a song's endurance and wide appeal. Their music also doesn't seem to have lasted in popularity in the way songs by The Beatles, Queen, Abba, Elton John etc have. He was clearly a technically good guitarist though.

Mark Knopfler's songs have mainly been covered by Country artists such as Randy Travis, Waylon Jennings, Jimmy Buffet, Chet Atkins, Mary Chapin Carpenter etc. Knopfler is possibly Britain's most successful Country artist. He is also very collaborative in the way he works, a gifted soundtrack writer, session musician and producer. He's more of a musician's musician than most. I'm not sure how he got into this thread about Glitter?