Jenna Coleman to leave at Christmas

Comments

• adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no proof whatsoever in this story, and the Mirror doesn't have the balls to say so. Half baked rumours nicked from uninformed fans on internet forums do not make a story - unless you 'write' for the Mirror.
    I can't understand why anyone would believe this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    AJ007 wrote: »
    I've always suspected that Capaldi was a short term choice due to the first choice (Rory Kinnear, I believe) being unavailable.

Have you seen the casting capaldi video that's been released? Moffat says he was the only choice for the doctor this time around
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Not confirmed and a spoiler free hint she is amazing in deep breath.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Trouble is we all saw jenna coleman is asylum and loved her character AND DRESS. That is what we wanted.
  • alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    No truth in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that series and a half is enough for a companion, but I'd also like her to make guest apperances during following years, like Rose and Martha did. Just because companion left the TARDIS, it doesn' t mean she should disappear from the show. Ideally, traveling on TARDIS should be just introduction to character, just a beginning. :)
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    There's no proof whatsoever in this story, and the Mirror doesn't have the balls to say so. Half baked rumours nicked from uninformed fans on internet forums do not make a story - unless you 'write' for the Mirror.
    I can't understand why anyone would believe this.
    And isn't the Christmas special already written (if not filming)? So surely they will find it difficult to be "having conversations about her exit" and having a plan in place for Christmas.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tennant & Donna have been my favorite Dr and companion in New Who.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please put SPOILER in the subject, for people who do not wish to know please.

Yes, others have said it's unconfirmed, but the OP was convinced it's true.

Not nice.
    This is not a spoiler in any sense of the word.

Even when Jenna does decide to leave, her exit is extremely unlikely to be kept secret. The chance of any fan watching her final episode with no idea she's leaving is nil.

There was a similar bizarre outburst by someone in the thread about Into the Dalek being leaked. If people really think that casting rumours/announcements and episode titles are "spoilers", then they should probably stay away from Internet discussions on Doctor Who. While they're at it, they should probably avoid news outlets and any retailer which has display racks of newspapers and magazines. Plus they should probably avoid any discussion/chat shows on TV and radio. In fact, they should probably go and live in a cave.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid I have never found my 'Clara Love' so I am in the 'hoping its true' camp. A new Doctor and new companion would be good. I think she will be off!
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And isn't the Christmas special already written (if not filming)? So surely they will find it difficult to be "having conversations about her exit" and having a plan in place for Christmas.

According to the Facebook page filming starts first week of September. But I doubt they'd be doing re writes now.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends how she gets on with Capaldi, does she feel she has a part to play on the show & whether a better offer is somewhere else.
    I don't believe she'll leave until after series 9. As for the Mirror, less said about that rag of crap the better.
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    According to the Facebook page filming starts first week of September. But I doubt they'd be doing re writes now.
    *shrug* last minute rewrites are not unheard of, but I'm with you here. If she's only just decided to leave now, then tacking on a departure storyline at christmas would rob them of the opportunity to build up to her exit. Since the days of Donna, the build up/foreshadowing to the companion/doctor's swan song has always been something I've enjoyed.

EDIT: Plus, I like Jenna. She was screwed by the scripts last season, which I think had a little something to do with the fact that Matt was leaving. Looking at the photos of her with Peter, he very much looks like "her" doctor. I expect her to be far better in season 8.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks, so only two weeks or so away from filming, and yes, scripts will already have been written, discussed and tweaked, with filming schedules already planned, as well as SFX studio booked. far too late for script rewrites of this type and magnitude

So unless she is leaving and it has been known about for several (many?) months, a Christmas exit along the lines of the Mirror report is nigh on impossible
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An article in the Mirror does not count as a confirmation.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a run through of notice periods...

Piper - 7 Months (Reported - by The Mirror, no less - BBC later confirmed when Series 2 was airing)
    Tate - 7 Months (Confirmed on BBC Radio 2, by Tate herself)
    Tennant - 14 Months (by Tennant at the NTAs, then specials year)
    Gillan - 9 Months (Confirmed prior to writing / filming)

Chris & Freema were both rumored & then confirmed after they had finished filming, IIRC.

In this age of report after report after leak after leak, it does seem like short notice. But, that means little so we'll see...
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres no smoke without fire with articles like this. She will have done 2 series and 4 specials so the right time to go to keep things fresh. My disappointment is things like this are leaked by the press. It would be much better if her departure was a surprise but that is impossible in this day and age. I can remember being genuinely gutted when tegan 1st left in time flight and then forever in resurrection of the daleks.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two series and 4 specials?

That would be 30 episodes back in the olden days of 2008! I demand another six episodes with Clara Prime!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting.

It probably has a lot to do with Capaldi, tbh.

When the new season premiere leaked, I felt like Capaldi's Doctor was so different from Tennant's and Smith's, and that it wasn't necessarily a good thing. I didn't find him as charismatic or as compelling.

So once the novelty of this new kind of Doctor wears off, so much of what they'll have left is the Doctor/Companion dynamic, and I'm not sure Moffett knows what to do with that relationship besides the typical play on romantic tension, and Capaldi was adamant that not be what they did with him. And I have to agree. It would feel inappropriate.

I thought they'd just shift that appeal over to Clara having legitimate love interests, like with this new character Danny Pink, while the Doctor set about rediscovering himself as this new incarnation, but maybe things just aren't gelling as well as they thought. It could have just been Jenna's decision to leave though, if this news is true.

But it'll be interesting to see where they go with the Companion role next then, and how long Capaldi will last as the Doctor. I think his stint might only end up amounting to around what Eccleston's time was if they don't find a way to make him really work for a more universal demographic and not just the more mature viewers.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The whole article ignores the original series
    "By the time she leaves she will be one of the longest-standing companions ever"

What about Jamie and Sarah Jane to name but two??
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    She is certainly no Karen Gillan.

Thank Goodness...
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I have no idea what I think of Clara as a companion. I'm really relying on Season 8 to help me decide whether I like her or not.

I certainly don't dislike her but there's been nothing to make me connect with her to date. Its all been a bit story-heavy and very little by why of explaining about Clara as a person or what she hopes to get from travelling with the Doctor. I know we had a couple of quick montages to explain about the leaf and her mum and dad etc, but for me that really wasn't enough.

So, for me, I'm treating season 8 almost as if its Clara's first season too. It will be a shame if she turns out to be good and then leaves at Christmas.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im getting to the point where i cant be bothered. its change every year. we get a new doctor and the show settles down then the companion leaves the next year. then the cycle starts again. Its getting boring now. we get to know each character and their story.
  • ArtmuzzArtmuzz Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame. I rather liked Clara Oswald. I'd say if I was to pick two companions from NuWho it would be Clara Oswald and Martha Jones. The rest of them I found bloody annoying especially Rose and Amy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im getting to the point where i cant be bothered. its change every year. we get a new doctor and the show settles down then the companion leaves the next year. then the cycle starts again. Its getting boring now. we get to know each character and their story.

It comes to something when change is seen as boring.