Mega

flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
Forum Member
Kim Dotcom has just launched his replacement for mega upload.

2048bit encrypted cloud storage with 50GB free.

Mega.co.nz

Comments

• Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,130
    Forum Member
    Good luck to him. The way the US shut his old site down was diabolical.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparently tweeted that he was hitting 10gb within 10 minutes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of having 50GB of free storage, but would anyone want to store anything important on there knowing that they could lose it forever like many Megaupload customers did.

I know Kim.com says that this is less likely to happen with this new service, but still...
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Site wont even load..
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Site wont even load..

Same here but it did earlier. Too many hits or taken down already :eek:.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Still awaiting confirmation email.....3 hours now..!
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Same here but it did earlier. Too many hits or taken down already :eek:.
    Site wont even load..
    call100 wrote: »

Seems the site was more of a hit that they expected
    http://www.androidauthority.com/kim-dotcom-mega-big-success-movies-next-148768/
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the site is only a few hours old. bound to be a few teething problems.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    the site is only a few hours old. bound to be a few teething problems.

Still nothing from them in the form of a confirmation email......Sorry, but even 50GB of free space is not really tempting me now....:(
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still nothing from them in the form of a confirmation email......Sorry, but even 50GB of free space is not really tempting me now....:(

Really? For the past few months the media has been hyping the return of Mega in it's new form so of course there is going to be a lot of traffic. It's to be expected.

Give it a couple of days and try again. Do you really need that 50GB right this instant?
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sheesh! They hit 250,000 users in their first two hours, I somehow think there might be a few delays whilst it gets up on its feet... :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Sheesh! They hit 250,000 users in their first two hours, I somehow think there might be a few delays whilst it gets up on its feet... :rolleyes:

And a few weeks before its taken down
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    And a few weeks before its taken down

it/ll be interesting. they have retained lawyers in ever jurisdiction. and they are not operating in the US,
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've changed my mind about cloud storage. I have a Skydrive account and had a Live account for ages so benefited from the free 25Gb allowance. Decided to use it as my backup for photos. However, with a 'standard' broadband connection the upload speed is still ridiculous and so it took me nearly 3 weeks to upload all the photos. I usually had to stop the upload when using the computer as that was reduced to a crawl.

I have many things I could store in the cloud but really can't be bothered with the amounts of time it takes.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've changed my mind about cloud storage. I have a Skydrive account and had a Live account for ages so benefited from the free 25Gb allowance. Decided to use it as my backup for photos. However, with a 'standard' broadband connection the upload speed is still ridiculous and so it took me nearly 3 weeks to upload all the photos. I usually had to stop the upload when using the computer as that was reduced to a crawl.

I have many things I could store in the cloud but really can't be bothered with the amounts of time it takes.

That's only on the initial upload, now that it's up there you're only sending up diffs. In the long run it will work out quick, convient and free offsite backup.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

LOL You can't have been that bothered in the first place if you have changed your mind after a few hours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    it/ll be interesting. they have retained lawyers in ever jurisdiction. and they are not operating in the US,

I don't think they will be taken down for legal reason. My guess is financial, he has no business model. Last time he owned million to hosting companies, this time I think they are probably going to be asking for the money up front. TB of storage and 10's gb of bandwidth don't come cheap and I can't see advertising keeping his site going.

Most of his money comes from lets just say rather shady dealing.
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    I don't think they will be taken down for legal reason. My guess is financial, he has no business model. Last time he owned million to hosting companies, this time I think they are probably going to be asking for the money up front. TB of storage and 10's gb of bandwidth don't come cheap and I can't see advertising keeping his site going.

Most of his money comes from lets just say rather shady dealing.

Most of the money comes from people buying accounts. Same as most online services.

They made a lot of money with megaupload, as far as I know they paid their bills on time. Their ISPs were certainly sorry to see them go.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It works for me, but only if I use the SSL-encrypted version:

https://mega.co.nz
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    read about their privacy agreement before giving them too much praise

http://torrentfreak.com/mega-is-brilliantly-secure-but-not-anonymous-130118/
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like the idea of cloud storage as well, but I don't think i'll be going anywhere near Mega. I've tried Dropbox & Google Drive, but i've settled on Skydrive as i've found it slightly less of a faff to access the files on my S3 (..,before it died..). I've also uploaded my music collection to Google Music as well, but only really as another backup solution.

Seems a bit strange that Mega want to know your creditworthiness as well .. :confused:
    We can use any information we have about you as a customer relating to your creditworthiness and give that information to any other person for credit assessment and debt collection purposes.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alternate wrote: »

No surprises there I'm perfectly happy with the terms. Your data is encrypted client side. The only other info they have is payment info if you become a premium member, IP, username and email.
    Forum Member
    alternate wrote: »

I read their privacy policy. From the article:
    We keep the following personal information:
    - When a user signs up for particular services on our website they may need to give us the details required in our registration form and keep that information up to date;
    - Communication logs, traffic data, site usage and other information related to us supplying the services (including for serving of advertising material on our site);
    - Any personal information included in data uploaded to our system including but not limited to registration information.

We keep records of IP addresses used to access our services.

While this may not be a huge issue for the mainstream, privacy buffs usually prefer more anonymity. Currently dissidents and whistleblowers are not shielded from being exposed by Mega, if the authorities come knocking.

Mega won’t hand personal information out to random strangers of course, but they will cooperate with law enforcement and comply with subpoenas as they should. In their privacy policy they state the following:

If we think it is necessary or we have to by law in any jurisdiction then we are entitled to give your information to the authorities.

We reserve the right to assist any law enforcement agency with investigations, including and limited to by way of disclosure of information to them or their agents. We also reserve the right to comply with any legal processes, including but not limited to subpoenas, search warrents (sic) and court orders.

What is it that you take issue with?

It's important to realise that they do not hold the encryption keys to your data so can't hand it over to anyone. But equally they are not wiki leaks. And they are not running a site for paedos.

Also they are not under US jurisdiction.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    As with all things like this, if you keep nothing illegal on their site, then you really dont have anything to worry about.

However the main point here, is that the encryption key is not kept by them. Thus even if they wanted to give your data to the authorities, they can do. However the authorities wont be able to do anything with it.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, any takedown would have to be with the encryption keys or password. I can't get anything to upload it just says pending.