Favourite Artist/Writer

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
Forum Member
Okay, here's a new topic to tax the brain!

Who is your favourite artist and writer?

I'll start with Alex Ross for his artwork - see Kingdom Come and Project Superpowers for examples of his work - and Warren Ellis for writer.

Any takers??? :)

Comments

• REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carmine Infantino inked by Murphy Anderson, Gil Kane inked by Murphy Anderson, Curt Swan inked by Murphy Anderson and that leads me to Murphy Anderson inked by Murphy Anderson. Jack Kirby with one particular inker I cannot remeber. Over here Frank Bellamy, Ron Embelton, Brian Bolland. Better not mention Von Gotha.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alan Moore writer and George Perez for artist.
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Writer - Alan Moore
    Artist - Jim Lee/Alex Ross
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    Writer - Alan Moore
    Artist - Jim Lee/Alex Ross

I have fond memories of Jim Lee's run on X-Men...

We'll throw in Arthur Suydam (I have his original painting "Shadow of the Bat" hanging in my living room) for his covers on Marvel Zombies and Don Figueroa for his work on Transformers...

I'll also add Simon Furman & Garth Ennis for writers! :)
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Writer - John Wagner, Dan Abnett, Ian Edginton

Artist - Carlos Ezquerra, Frank Quitely, Brett Ewins
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns can currently do no wrong on the writing front. Grant Morrison has matured from his old Vertigo days and his take on Batman has been amazing. Geoff Johns seems to take on any character - Superman, Flash, Green Lantern - and run with them, but Blackest Night so far has been his piece de resistance.
    Current favourite artist has to be Gary Frank on Superman.
  • StuBStuB Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a long time my favourite was Alan Davis, following his runs on Captain Britain and Excalibur. Even now I look out for anything with his name attached.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Writer - Alan Moore and Katsuhiro Otomo
    Artist - Katsuhiro Otomo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Writer - Alan Moore hands down, no contest

Artist - Either Sam Keith, Frank Miller, Jim Mahfood, Carlos Ezquerra, or Frank Quitely
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Writers: Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, B M Bendis, Kurt Busiek

Artists: Steve Ditko, Neal Adams, Jack Kirby, Don Lawrence, Frank Bellamy, Barry Smith, Sydney Jordan.
  • constantineconstantine Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Writers: Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore both can weave outstanding stories that get you hooked.
    Artists: Alex Ross has such great talent but I also like Simon Bisley as I grew up with his art.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Writers: Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore both can weave outstanding stories that get you hooked.
    Artists: Alex Ross has such great talent but I also like Simon Bisley as I grew up with his art.

I remember the BBC doing a documentary about the myth of the Green Man at the time that Mills and Bisley were doing Slaine The Horned God and they were both interviewed on it.
  • constantineconstantine Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I remember the BBC doing a documentary about the myth of the Green Man at the time that Mills and Bisley were doing Slaine The Horned God and they were both interviewed on it.

I missed that, will have to look on youtube, many thanks:D
  • EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Writers: DeFalco, Jim Starlin, Simon Furman

Artists: Ron Lim, Andy Wilman, Dan Reed
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For writers, I'd have to say Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison, Pat Mills, Roy Thomas and inevitably Stan Lee (purely for the depth of his imagination), though Mark Gruenwald, Doug Moench, JM DeMatteis, James Robinson and Keith Giffen would be up there, too. Artists? More difficult, but I've still got a soft spot for both Neal Adams and Paul Gulacy, Britain's own Gerry Haylock, Joe Colquhoun and Mike Western, and of course the ultimate comic artist-Jack Kirby!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Artist has to be Clint Langley - for Slaine if for nothing else
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Favourite writer has to be Alan Moore. Favourite artist is a bit tougher, but I think it would probably be either Alan Davis, George Perez or Carlos Ezquerra. As an actual writer-artist partnership, Moore and Davis are hard to beat.
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat Mills or Alan Moore for writing but hands down favourite artist is Carlos Ezquerra for giving us such greats as Dredd, Strontium Dog and the lesser known but still fabulous Stainless Steel Rat and Fiends of the Eastern Front among many others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat Mills or Alan Moore for writing but hands down favourite artist is Carlos Ezquerra for giving us such greats as Dredd, Strontium Dog and the lesser known but still fabulous Stainless Steel Rat and Fiends of the Eastern Front among many others.

And Angelina diGriz, the hottest psychopath in comics!
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Angelina diGriz, the hottest psychopath in comics!
    You better believe it. I always thought his portrayal of Slippery Jim looked like James Cogburn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You better believe it. I always thought his portrayal of Slippery Jim looked like James Cogburn.

Can't lay my hands on a pic of Slippery Jim right now (though I agree with you, BTW) but here's Angie...

http://britishcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Angelina_DiGriz
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Just finished reading the Stainless Steel Rat GN last night. Yes there is a resemblance between Slippery Jim and a certain James Coburn. But this has already happened before see Major Easy from Battle (the film Cross of Iron would be around the same time) and then Judge Koburn from the Megazine.

I think that Carlos Ezquerra is one of the most underrated artists in the business. His work on 2000AD is probably what drew my into that title (those chunky jagged panel border lines!). For me he is, together with Ron Smith and Brian Bolland, the definitive Dredd artist.

I would also recommend his work with Garth Ennis and the war stories he has done for DC and Dynamite. That most recent one with the Tank range finding is a particular favourite of mine.

I hope that Carlos makes a complete recovery from his setbacks and goes on to out-draw us all. I see that there is a Cadet Anderson on the way, but we really need to find out just what happened to Johnny Alpha.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ezquerra and Ennis are definitely something of a dream team. Adventures in the Rifle Brigade and its sequel, Operation Bollock, were both wonderfully funny!.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Writers; Warren Ellis, Mike Carey, Antony Johnston, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Peter David, Harlan Ellison (yes, he does comics...), JMS (got me back into reading comics in 2001), Simon Furman (80's stuff, not overly impressed with recent stuff I've read, unfortunately)...

I'll probably think of more as soon as I post this...

Artists; John Romita Jr, Chris Bachalo, Sam Kieth, Sean Phillips, Andy Wildman, Geoff Senior... oh, loads!
  • Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artists: Frank Bellamy, Frank Hampson, Don Lawrence, Dave Gibbons, Ken Reid, José Ortiz, Ron Turner, Ron Embleton, Gerry Embleton, Brian Bolland, Kevin O'Neill

Writers: Alan Moore, Frank Hampson, Tom Tully