Am I the only person who doesn't 'have' Twitter/Facebook'?

Comments

• GrizzyDeeGrizzyDee Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Juliana wrote: »
    Oh don't respect me Vol! I did 'try' but got banned. Maybe if I wasn't banned I would have loved it! Although, I did really like MSN, was kind of addicted to the 'beep, beep' of importance :D The here, and now.

I just can't see myself giving hourly updates on my life. For one, I don't think I'm that interesting, and I don't really think anyone would give a **** what I've had for tea etc.

I know people who facetwat every single aspect of their lives, and they actually tweet/face their news before they tell me (their supposed best friend!)
    You weren't banned. Your children didn't like you using it.
  • JulianaJuliana Posts: 4,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GrizzyDee wrote: »
    So you weren't banned then. Your family didn't like you using it (whichever site it is, as you still don't say which). Which is what I said before - you're associating with thte wrong people and that is nothing to do with the site itself.

Oh I was 'banned' :D

I'm not for one minute running down these sites. Merely asking opinions on their appeal.

What's username on Twitter and Facebook? May join and add you as a 'friend' :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GrizzyDee wrote: »
    You weren't banned. Your children didn't like you using it.

Do you know my children? Believe me, I was 'banned' :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wish i knew

they just need your Email address and Password
    although with me the thing i dont get is how they Changed my Password unless they hacked my old eMail account too.

I think someone you know has seen your password and then used it. Sometimes people you think are your friends aren't really friendly at all!

Personally, I trust no one with my personal details.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I joined FB a few years ago, didn't understand or like it and deleted the account.

A few weeks ago a member of my family set up a page only for close family and friends and invited me to join. I was reluctant at first, but was interested to see who was on it and if there were any photos, so of course I had to make a new account to be able to see them.

Now, I have some of my favourite family members on it and am in contact with them regularly. I've put lots of old photos on and that has been worth it, as it has provided a lot of joy for the others. I only have 10 family members and 1 friend at present, so it's very managable and it's quite enjoyable after all.

I very rarely use Twitter, just when something that I'm interested in is mentioned in the news, I suppose.

But to answer the OP's question, I know many people who don't use either, so you are not alone. And FB need not be full of rubbish - it depends what you want out of it and what you choose to look for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    odz1 wrote: »
    Good on you - I have facebook and it full of idiots talking shit- You arent missing much.

Hahaha Odz.

Thanks for confirming what I was already suspecting!

Maybe I should join and make you my friend - no shit talking guaranteed! Just real shit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I joined FB a few years ago, didn't understand or like it and deleted the account.

A few weeks ago a member of my family set up a page only for close family and friends and invited me to join.

I was reluctant at first, but was interested to see who was on it and if there were any photos, so of course I had to make a new account to be able to see them.

Now, I have some of my favourite family members on it and am in contact with them regularly. I've put lots of old photos on and that has been worth it, as it has provided a lot of joy for the others.

I only have 10 family members and 1 friend at present, so it's very managable and it's quite enjoyable after all.

I very rarely use Twitter, just when something is mentioned in the news I suppose.

But to answer the OP's question, I know many people who don't use either, so you are not alone. And FB need not be full of rubbish - it depends what you want out of it and what you choose to look for.

Aww, that's a really lovely story, and joining for a really worthy cause.

Yeah, I've heard of a few people who use it dearly for family reasons. I've even heard of someone who found their Papa on it!

I suppose if you've selective and inclusive of your friends then it benefits you.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Aww, that's a really lovely story, and joining for a really worthy cause.

Yeah, I've heard of a few people who use it dearly for family reasons. I've even heard of someone who found their Papa on it!

I suppose if you've selective and inclusive of your friends then it benefits you.
    Thank you. :)

There are probably several old posts of mine rattling around on DS saying how useless FB is - but I have changed my mind!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Ah yes, one of the few things I agree with David Cameron about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. :)

There are probably several old posts of mine rattling around on DS saying how useless FB is - but I have changed my mind!

You're the perfect subject for my question!

I adore someone who changes their mind and has the balls to admit it!

I often do it. I love hearing different people's opinions. I always have my own, and sometimes they're set in stone, but often hearing others' views makes me consider something different. Love it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, one of the few things I agree with David Cameron about.

Jeysus, I hate you!

I can not abide that horrible man, yet I also agreed with him *gone to burn my soul*
  • missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't use them either. Been there, done that. It doesn't interest me anymore. I found them both full of nosey people who want to mind your business, so I left.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Facebook is great for games - Twitter is great for keeping up with breaking news etc.

I'm sure there are people who feel the need to post or tweet every time a split end appears - most don't - people do post links to interesting stuff though

On the other hand - they don't add much unless you have a lot of friends who use them
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of my circle of family/friends don't have any need for social networking either; certainly no-one in my immediate family. That may be down to our age; with the exception of one in their mid 30s, everyone is 40+.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, am I?

What is the appeal?

Is it a way of publishing how great you are with pics and poo updates?

Tell Me why I must sign up, or tell me I'm sane not partaking?

I have never seen any of my FB friends post a poo update or, indeed, anything about poo at all. And yet there are threads here on DS all the bloody time on the subject. So maybe you would actually be better off there than here.
  • himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't know how to use Twitter or Facebook.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i do have both - but I mostly use FB for keeping in touch. I dont use the games on there - i think they are a bit pointless. As for Twitter, i dont really "get it". Hardly ever go on it. Dont see much point to it.

By the way-i know lots of people who dont even own a pc, let alone have FB or Twitter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with you OP lots of people think I'm odd but I just can't abide either. I even sometimes resent having a mobile phone if I'm honest.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't use them either. Unfortunately everything seems to use them these days. Brand names use them in their ads, many competitions require Twitter/Facebook accounts to enter, some places even require you to log into their site using your Facebook details before you can make comments on their (non-Facebook) blogs.

Funny cos it's true.
  • sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No your not the only one, I have neither, and dont want them either, If I want to see how anyone is I pick up the phone, when visited son and daughter, phone keeps beeping all time have to rush onto facebook just to see whats being said.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one in the your not alone camp :p
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    I'm with you OP lots of people think I'm odd but I just can't abide either. I even sometimes resent having a mobile phone if I'm honest.

And yet you have a twitter account linked to your profile :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    I used to have it but I don't anymore, didn't like that everything is permanant
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I only have Twitter and FB as they're connected to my blog. I like to keep my thousands of followers informed when I make a new post ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facebook and Twitter are only as interesting or inane as your friends and those you choose to follow. Don't shoot the messenger.