Moving home with BT/Sky

Looking for a bit of advice from anyone in the know before I go through the trauma of ringing BT!!

I am currently with BT for phone & Broadband (BB contract expires 14th May).

I am moving at the end of the month and will be switching to Sky for phone/broadband aswell as TV which I already have.

What I need to know is if I want to keep the same number (need to confirm it is possible first) will I need to keep my line rental with BT as opposed to paying Sky.

I was thinking of telling BT to cut me off on the 30th and then ringing Sky once I've moved to set up my phone/broadband but I am guessing if I get my number cut off and wait til I move to re-instate it I will lose that number anyway??

As a side note the house I am moving to are on Virgin for phone/BB so don't use their BT line.
Would I be charged by BT for them livening up the line for me, as I have no interest in using Virgin???

Sorry for the long winded post, any help much appreciated.

Comments

• TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    10monty wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice from anyone in the know before I go through the trauma of ringing BT!!

I am currently with BT for phone & Broadband (BB contract expires 14th May).

I am moving at the end of the month and will be switching to Sky for phone/broadband as well as TV which I already have.

What I need to know is if I want to keep the same number (need to confirm it is possible first) will I need to keep my line rental with BT as opposed to paying Sky.

I was thinking of telling BT to cut me off on the 30th and then ringing Sky once I've moved to set up my phone/broadband but I am guessing if I get my number cut off and wait til I move to re-instate it I will lose that number anyway??

As a side note the house I am moving to are on Virgin for phone/BB so don't use their BT line.
    Would I be charged by BT for them livening up the line for me, as I have no interest in using Virgin???

Sorry for the long winded post, any help much appreciated.

When you move home, you will start a new 12 month contract for the phone line, so if you then decide you want to switch line rental to Sky, then you'd have to then pay either £70 or the remainder of the contract whichever is the higher on top of any line installation costs.

Sky could pay Open Reach, like BT do to install lines, just they like many don't.

Plus it is very very unwise to move line rental away from BT - calls yes, line rental - no. Especially now that Sky are increasing call charges, you'll then be stuck with their high costs to those and prevent yourself from making cheap calls elsewhere.

The wise choice, is BT for line rental and if you want Sky Talk, Sky Talk for your calls and Sky for your broadband.

Don't understand the part re BT/Virgin line, afraid doesn't make sense.

Are you saying they have both a BT line and a Virgin Media cable line?
  • 10monty10monty Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    When you move home, you will start a new 12 month contract for the phone line, so if you then decide you want to switch line rental to Sky, then you'd have to then pay either £70 or the remainder of the contract whichever is the higher on top of any line installation costs.

Sky could pay Open Reach, like BT do to install lines, just they like many don't.

Plus it is very very unwise to move line rental away from BT - calls yes, line rental - no. Especially now that Sky are increasing call charges, you'll then be stuck with their high costs to those and prevent yourself from making cheap calls elsewhere.

The wise choice, is BT for line rental and if you want Sky Talk, Sky Talk for your calls and Sky for your broadband.

Don't understand the part re BT/Virgin line, afraid doesn't make sense.

Are you saying they have both a BT line and a Virgin Media cable line?

All I meant was they are currently with Virgin for telephone and broadband.
    They have a bt line installed that is dead so would need to be livened up.
    I know bt charge £125 for connecting but i didnt know if that would apply because the line is already there.

Thanks for your help
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    10monty wrote: »
    They have a bt line installed that is dead so would need to be livened up.

I know bt charge £125 for connecting but i didnt know if that would apply because the line is already there.
    If it's "dead", it's not 'there' and a reconnection will be needed (normally, £124.99)
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    Though aren't BT still doing the £30 install offer?

Plus Sky had been refunding the BT install, however they may be cutting back or might not for those just moving.