How greedy is your dog?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
Forum Member
I aquired (well, my wife did) a little dog earlier this year. A grey Lhasa Apso for the record. The thing is, he's a greedy wee bastard. Its unbelievable how often he's on the scrounge.

Now I had a Doberman when I was a kid and sure, he liked his grub. In fact he used to literally drool watching me eat. That was it though. The problem with the ankle biter is EVERY time I go into the kitchen he follows me. I can't make a cup of tea without him under my feet and it's doing my head in. I'm almost always tripping over him as he hangs around sniffing for snacks. It certainly isn't affection, he won't follow me to the garden or the bedroom. The kitchen however and there he is - guaranteed. If he hears the fridge opening he's there in a shot. I tripped over him the other day as I opened the oven and it was almost melted hands time.

To make matters worse I went to the post office yesterday and came back to find he'd scranned a muffin which was in my work bag. I was looking forward to that muffin. Is this par for the course for dogs? It's not like I give him grub when he follows me but he's yet to take the hint. He'll be getting dumped 60 miles from home if he keeps this up.

Anyone else have a greedy canine?

Comments

• ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy a babygate.
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I have two Spaniels. One of them would eat for England if allowed. :rolleyes:
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a miniature dachshund and he is so greedy, its unbelievable. He will also follow us to the kitchen and begs for his chew two hours before he is due to get it. He's always watching us when we eat, hoping to get something himself. I guess it doesn't help when we do give him a couple of leftovers :o He can get on your wick though with his constant crying and begging for food, although his little party piece he doeswhen he begs is very cute :p
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Dogs are greedy by nature.

You can leave a cat for a week with a big bowl of food and water (if you really must) and it'll be fine whereas a dog will scoff the lot in one go and then starve.

My dogs are kind of odd.
    We had a cat before the first dog and the cat taught the Labrador a lot of habits.
    She eats sitting down, like cats do, and only eats when she's hungry.
    5 years ago we inherited a Spaniel puppy.
    She's greedier than the labrador but she's still learned most of what she does from the lab' and, as a result, she's not particularly greedy either.

One thing; if you're training a dog it IS probably best to teach them to eat at a certain time.
    Put the food down at, say, 6pm and if they don't eat it before 7pm remove it again.
    They'll soon realise they NEED to eat the food when it's given to them and that, in turn, trains them to need the loo at 11pm.

If you leave a bowl of food for a dog to eat whenever it wants it might decide to scoff it all at 2am and then take a dump on the floor at 6am or summat.

My dogs are kind of odd because they learned to eat from a cat but, in general, you should try to be fairly strict about when a dog eats to help with toilet training.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister trained her dog not to go into the kitchen. He also has just one meal per day - no treats, no tit-bits, no left-overs. The dog doesn't know any different and therefore doesn't pester for food.
  • Color of NightColor of Night Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a staff & he is greedy but he isn't aloud past the door frame of the kitchen if we are in there unless its for his dinner. If anyone is eating he will get in his bed & lay down, if he stares & we say his name he will look away. Every time the dog follows you in shuffle him back out with your feet & make him sit down, when you have done it a few times & he stops coming in to the kitchen then give him a small treat. Hopefully eventually he will sit in the doorway & wait for his treat rather than trying to trip you up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    michael,76 wrote: »
    My sister trained her dog not to go into the kitchen. He also has just one meal per day - no treats, no tit-bits, no left-overs. The dog doesn't know any different and therefore doesn't pester for food.

THIS sounds like a plan!

Although I'm pleased to hear other dog owners have the same problem. I thought maybe our wee pooch was taking the rip but it would indeed seem dogs are innately greedy.

Oh, and I had enough baby gates when I was raising my children thanks! Not going back there again. I'd fall over that more than the dog. :p
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    With certain food he would eat till he burst or was sick:eek:
    Forum Member
    I have a staff & he is greedy but he isn't aloud past the door frame of the kitchen if we are in there unless its for his dinner. If anyone is eating he will get in his bed & lay down, if he stares & we say his name he will look away. Every time the dog follows you in shuffle him back out with your feet & make him sit down, when you have done it a few times & he stops coming in to the kitchen then give him a small treat. Hopefully eventually he will sit in the doorway & wait for his treat rather than trying to trip you up.

I'll have to try that. I do try and be disciplined but the minute my back's turned my wife and two daughters' are spoiling him I swear. Perhaps I should drop THEM in the middle of nowhere and keep the dog! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    We have a chocolate Lab... He sits near us when we're in the kitchen making food, dribbling and crying, even if he's just had his food!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best healthy dog treat is to get some chicken breasts, slice them in half & bake them in the oven slowly to dry out then break up in to small pieces, the dogs love them & its not too fattening for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    michael,76 wrote: »

Our dog only has one meal a day & he knows what time he has it too. Drives me crazy if my hubby is late feeding him as he bugs me to moan at me hubby:D He does the same when its walking time too, he comes & annoys me so I tell my hubby.
  • iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Cadbury have a chocolate lab....

OK, I'll leave.
    Forum Member
    iannai wrote: »
    I wonder if Cadbury have a chocolate lab....

OK, I'll leave.

Well I laughed! :D
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    We have a chocolate Lab... He sits near us when we're in the kitchen making food, dribbling and crying, even if he's just had his food!

Our choc lab is also obsessed with food and can try and scrounge after she has just eaten her meal.

I never giver her anything off of my plate,and get her to sit a few feet away from me, I hate scrounging dogs.

She hears the fridge open even if she is in the garden.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Westie Jack russel cross is a TARDIS dog!!
    He is much bigger on the inside than the outside, He is like an extra dustbin, saves us loads of bin space,
    we have yet to find something he won't eat, he will eat potatoes, carrots,..ALL veg, he LOVES chips, he even eats them frozen if you drop one, drop a hot one and he bats it around the kitchen growling at it until it's cool enough to eat,
    he will eat the cats food, at one time we used to feed them both at the same time, but the cat would eat the dogs food, and the dog would eat the cats!!!
    Whats THAT about? they always prefer the others food!
    :cool:
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog's not really greedy although he does beg if he thinks you have something particularly tasty. We usually struggle to get him to eat.

The cat on the other hand is food obsessed. He'll rake through bins, he figured out how to open the cupboards so we had to lock them, he started gaining weight and we eventually discovered he'd been raiding the bag of dry dog food (which was kept on a cupboard at least 6 feet off the ground!) Food raid :D
    I can't leave anything edible out or he'll have it. We even had to remove the string off a roast from his throat a couple of years ago. :rolleyes:
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have trouble getting our dog to eat at all and her weight really worries me, she is a collie/greyhound cross so she does have the build of a greyhound..we take her to the vets to be weighed monthly and he assures me she is a healthy weight.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baxter is like a human dustbin. Unfortunately this can result in events like this evening when he polished off the remains of some butter chicken whilst I was distracted by a phone call. He's been squirting liquid out of his backside in the garden for most of tonight. I'm already worrying about a peach stone I think he may have got today too. He grabbed the peach out of my hand and I can't find the stone anywhere. They can be poisonous to dogs although one shouldn't be too harmful, unless it gets lodged. I'm going to starve him tomorrow which should be fun.
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our cairn Terrier is a greedy little sod if we let him.
  • NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Dogs are greedy by nature.

You can leave a cat for a week with a big bowl of food and water (if you really must) and it'll be fine whereas a dog will scoff the lot in one go and then starve.

My dogs are kind of odd.
    We had a cat before the first dog and the cat taught the Labrador a lot of habits.
    She eats sitting down, like cats do, and only eats when she's hungry.
    5 years ago we inherited a Spaniel puppy.
    She's greedier than the labrador but she's still learned most of what she does from the lab' and, as a result, she's not particularly greedy either.

One thing; if you're training a dog it IS probably best to teach them to eat at a certain time.
    Put the food down at, say, 6pm and if they don't eat it before 7pm remove it again.
    They'll soon realise they NEED to eat the food when it's given to them and that, in turn, trains them to need the loo at 11pm.

If you leave a bowl of food for a dog to eat whenever it wants it might decide to scoff it all at 2am and then take a dump on the floor at 6am or summat.

My dogs are kind of odd because they learned to eat from a cat but, in general, you should try to be fairly strict about when a dog eats to help with toilet training.

That is so true. I had 4 cats whenI got my lab. Now my lab is greedy BUT that's with treats. I have alwys left 2 bowls of cat biscuits out all day and I started that wih my dog who does the same as the cats and only eats his when hungry - though he still drools when he watches me eat:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty confident that if we left 1 of our dogs with an unlimited supply of food he will eat himself to death. He'll literally eat anything he gets his teeth on - including nectarines and easter eggs.

An absolute nightmare as we pay the price if we leave any food within his reach. (And we checked and triple chekced with the vets, he is a healthy weight and is being given enough food a day)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a black lab and she would eat till she popped given the chance.

She once got her face in the bag of hamster food and had herself a good old feast! We have to crate her while we eat because she sits in front of us dribbling and sniffing around the plate, and if you don't watch her she snatches food and runs off with it...she snatched a slice of pizza out of my hand one night!!

I also once put some bread rolls out on a plate to put burgers on, turned to get a fork out of a drawer, and quick as a flash she'd snatched the top of one and run off with it! Cheeky bugger!

We bought her a buster cube, you can fit a whole meal inside it if they're on dry food, or just some treats. It takes her ages to get the food out so it keeps her busy and stimulates her mind. It also slows down their eating if you find they wolf their food too quickly.
  • Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a beagle and a beagle/lab x and both of them would eat until theres nothing left in the house if they had chance.

However, I thought the beagle was bad, but the beagle lab x puts him to shame when it comes to being greedy! The lab stories on here certainly ring a bell :D
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a labrador - enough said

Also, she can crap for England.
    She enjoys releasing the most foul smells from her ass. If she jumps up on a couch she usually farts, like it was lying around loose and just needed a kick.

Nice.

But I love her.