Talk Talk broadband

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've checked my broadband bill online for September, and it has now went up to £16.87....where it was always £12.98. I know they said their rate was increasing, but still!

But not only that, my broadband speed has dropped. :confused:

After phoning this morning to complain about this, i was asked the same questions over and over again then finally told it was being sent to someone higher who would then phone me on saturday evening to "discuss" it :mad:

I'm really not happy about paying more for a service when my speed is dropping. It's slow enough as it is.

This happened to anyone else lately?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which package are you on and is it LLU?

Also what speeds are you receiving?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My speed is now sitting at 792kbps :(

The highest speed i could get was 1meg....thats the speed i've been getting for 7 years....now it's dropping and my price is going up my £4!
  • prawn crackersprawn crackers Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was receiving a 2MB speed for the last 5 years with Tiscali. then talk Talk took over with their price rise.... and like you a decrease in speed.

So this Friday I am moving ISP's..... to BT :eek:

I can't put in words how frustrated I have become with Talk Talk. My next door neighbour gets a speed of slightly under 8 MB so he is the same distance from the exchange as I am and he is a Talk Talk customer..... Yet Talk Talk thought that I would put up with the price rise and speed reduction.
    Note my monthly charge was for just the Broadband. I received a letter in June advising me of an increase in my montly costs to £14.99.
    I contacted the cancellation department but got "talked" into staying with them and they reduced the charge to £9.99 tying me into an 18 month contract.

My post about it all if your interested = http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1329725

PC

"Anyhow I have logged a fault with Talk Talk and they have phoned me to discuss the problem.....
    Apparently I am 4km away from the exchange (line attenuation of 63.5 dB) and the most I could ever expect would be a 2Mb internet speed.
    This has annoyed me as I was recently told I was being upgraded to 24Mb which I turned down due to cost but as they were working on my line I could get an up to 8Mb service....
    And that is why I accepted the price rise from £7.99 to £9.99 with an 18 month contract.

But now even though I am paying more I have now been de-rated from a 2Mb to a 1MB service!!!!!!
    My download and up speed results.-
    "

Today 20:24 812 kbps (102kB/s) 226 kbps (28.3kB/s)
  • stevensdrsstevensdrs Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is 2848/448 just now. Used to be 1meg with Tiscali but after the price increase the speed has gone up. Having said that it does fluctuate a bit and sometimes it appears slower to load some pages than before.
    I haven't signed the new contract though, having read some of the horror stories about Talk Talk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was receiving a 2MB speed for the last 5 years with Tiscali. then talk Talk took over with their price rise.... and like you a decrease in speed.

So this Friday I am moving ISP's..... to BT :eek:

I can't put in words how frustrated I have become with Talk Talk. My next door neighbour gets a speed of slightly under 8 MB so he is the same distance from the exchange as I am and he is a Talk Talk customer..... Yet Talk Talk thought that I would put up with the price rise and speed reduction.
    Note my monthly charge was for just the Broadband. I received a letter in June advising me of an increase in my montly costs to £14.99.
    I contacted the cancellation department but got "talked" into staying with them and they reduced the charge to £9.99 tying me into an 18 month contract.

My post about it all if your interested = http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1329725

PC

"Anyhow I have logged a fault with Talk Talk and they have phoned me to discuss the problem.....
    Apparently I am 4km away from the exchange (line attenuation of 63.5 dB) and the most I could ever expect would be a 2Mb internet speed.
    This has annoyed me as I was recently told I was being upgraded to 24Mb which I turned down due to cost but as they were working on my line I could get an up to 8Mb service....
    And that is why I accepted the price rise from £7.99 to £9.99 with an 18 month contract.

But now even though I am paying more I have now been de-rated from a 2Mb to a 1MB service!!!!!!
    My download and up speed results.-
    "

Today 20:24 812 kbps (102kB/s) 226 kbps (28.3kB/s)

I phoned up yesterday to complain and they told me they aligned all the packages now, they've done away with unlimited and put everyone onto a 40gb allowance.

I was so angry that they did this without informing me. I got the letter informing of a price increase.... but that was only with those who had calls....I only have broadband.

They too offered me the discounted price because i was a Tiscali customer for so long and they are crediting me back this month's bill of £16.87....they never mentioned it was a new 18 month contract though....

They put me through to the technical dept, and the rude guy argued with me my line only takes a max. speed of 500kbps so i should be happy i'm getting a little more....even though i have always got 1.1mb !!!

Talk Talk confirmed in an email my line speed is 1.94mb.....BT also confirmed my line can hold 1mb or slightly over.

I was considering BT... but their allowance is only 10gb per month, i would use more than that :(

They also told me with these new changes some customers price would increase, some would decrease or some would not change.

I'd love to know why they changed mine when i'm on the lowest speed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick update.

Talk Talk phoned me back today regarding my speed issue...after sitting on the phone for about 20 minutes, with them telling me my speed can't get any higher, and me arguing that it's been higher before... they've done some fiddling about and set my speed at 1.5mbps now :D

That's me happy enough now.

Fingers crossed i've no more issues with them.
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It consistantly goes down for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    It consistantly goes down for me.

Mines went down today from 1.6mb to 1.5mb.

I presume it was Talk Talk doing something yet again because i got disconnected for a few moments, then the speed went down .

( they disconnected me last week while sorting out my speed problem)
  • mark2005mark2005 Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    talktalk use D L M which lowers and highers your DB profile.

The more disconnections you have, the DLM changes you to a higher profile and that means a slower speed.

If your line remains stable, then it lowers your db profile and you will get a speed increase.

Awful system, but what can you do?

A good way to beat this is try to have as few disconnections as possible and try and leave your router on 24/7 for at least 3 days to see if your speed increases.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got disconnected again there....and now it's down to 1.3mb :mad:

The person i spoke to on the phone told me it wouldn't go down anymore as she had set it to 1.5mb!
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could try the Talk Talk Forum?

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/

I wouldn't go through the call centres again for any technical issues, awful experiences with them in the past, but the people on the forum are great. Had a couple of problems in the past and one fairly recently with a drop in speed and connectivity which was sorted out by the techy guys on there, took them a few days to respond this time but haven't had a problem since.

Also had a little whinge on there, not at the techy people but generally, that if our lines are capable of more then they should provide more and not try to charge us for it.

With my distance from the exchange the most I can expect is a 2.5mb download speed, but with a note on the forum of the sudden dip and a whinge they've done some tweaking again and managed to get me up to 2.8 with no drop outs at all.
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The members forum is great.

I am on Talktalk Plus (unlimited download allowance), I complained about slow P2P speeds on the members forum and was given a free static IP address. I have also been in sync at 12meg for the last 29 days without a single drop in connection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The very slow P2P speed was one of my whinges too. I know we're choked during the day on Talk Talk but it was actually pointless trying to download anything overnight either. I'd actually given up as most were literally going to take me over a year to download. I don't know what they did but after the last tweaking I can now download something in minutes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rugby Rose wrote: »
    The very slow P2P speed was one of my whinges too. I know we're choked during the day on Talk Talk but it was actually pointless trying to download anything overnight either. I'd actually given up as most were literally going to take me over a year to download. I don't know what they did but after the last tweaking I can now download something in minutes.

Are you on Talktalk Plus? If so, go on the talktalk members forum, complain about slow p2p speeds on plus and they should give you a static ip for free and it'll sort the speed out for you :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the plus the same as the pro? I'm just on a bog standard package - it was when I saw them advertising the pro packages for higher speeds for extra money that I took the opportunity to have a moan, in addition to the fault I was reporting of sudden drop in speed and frequent dropouts, our basic package is sold on the basis of up to 8mb, so if the line is capable of more then they should provide it at the same rate, not try to charge us more.

They've sorted the speed and P2P out for me anyway on the last tweak, it's working fine now. It may have helped that I pointed out that I'm no longer tied into an 18 month contract and have on a rolling monthly one so I can leave at any time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the plus the same as the pro? I'm just on a bog standard package - it was when I saw them advertising the pro packages for higher speeds for extra money that I took the opportunity to have a moan, in addition to the fault I was reporting of sudden drop in speed and frequent dropouts, our basic package is sold on the basis of up to 8mb, so if the line is capable of more then they should provide it at the same rate, not try to charge us more.

They've sorted the speed and P2P out for me anyway on the last tweak, it's working fine now. It may have helped that I pointed out that I'm no longer tied into an 18 month contract and have on a rolling monthly one so I can leave at any time.

Plus is the new name for Pro. As far as the internet goes, there is less traffic management on Plus compared to other packages. So even if your actual sync speed doesn't suddenly jump up, you will find downloads run faster without the heavy traffic management.

As a comparison between Essentials (basic) and Plus (top package). I have two lines in my house, one with Essentials, one with Plus. Both lines sync at the same speed with Talktalk at around 11-12meg. I did a test download on both connections at the same time, downloading the same torrent file. Plus downloaded at around 700kbps at peak time, and Essentials downloaded at around 300kbps at peak time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the explanation, handy to know. I don't do much downloading at all but it's worth bearing in mind if that changes at any point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the explanation, handy to know. I don't do much downloading at all but it's worth bearing in mind if that changes at any point.

Well Plus isn't for everyone. The basic package should be just fine if you don't download a lot, or only really use the net for browsing websites, streaming video etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    mark2005 wrote: »
    talktalk use D L M which lowers and highers your DB profile.

The more disconnections you have, the DLM changes you to a higher profile and that means a slower speed.

If your line remains stable, then it lowers your db profile and you will get a speed increase.

Awful system, but what can you do?

A good way to beat this is try to have as few disconnections as possible and try and leave your router on 24/7 for at least 3 days to see if your speed increases.

It maybe coinsidence but have left router on and speed has increased. But still annoys me the electric being wasted when not being used.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talk Talk are being covered on Watchdog now.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk Talk are being covered on Watchdog now.

Are they falling apart? I have been with TT for 4 years now with no problems.

Just seen the Watchdog programme and now just going into my TT account there’s a message saying they are having problems with displaying my September phone bill plus accounts maybe down between tonight at 10 till tomorrow morning at 6.

Bit convenient with the price rises and all.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just heard of the price hikes too, I wouldn't be surprised if today/tomorrow's bills are delayed while the price increases are put in place. Valid point from Watchdog, how can they justify price rises again, 2nd this year, when spending £20m sponsoring X Factor.

From what I could make out from Watchdog there are issues in actually leaving and continuing to bill people after they'd left. Their spokesperson said that it was a problem with transferring old Tiscali customers over to the Talk Talk systems.

Let's see how much they put the prices up. I've been a pretty happy customer so far but I won't have the mickey taken out of me, I will have no qualms about moving elsewhere - I shall of course avoid Sky with their privacy issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Price rises again ? They only went up at the start of September:confused:

I got disconnected twice again last night.

I never had as many disconnections when it was Tiscali.....from Talk Talk have taken over it's happening too frequently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it always used to be people complaining about Tiscali disconnecting a lot, now people complain about Talktalk. I must just be lucky wherre i am
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    I remember it always used to be people complaining about Tiscali disconnecting a lot, now people complain about Talktalk. I must just be lucky wherre i am

Not really, just the moaning types this site seems to attract, you know the sort, they would moan if the milkman was stuck in a snow drift and they missed their cup of tea before work.

Fear not, for every moaning, groaning mealy mouthed, whining, cringing, 'life's a bitch', 'I want more' type you get there are many thousands of happy customers of TT.