Lib Dem supporters - Do you still support them?

Comments

• PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This statement is very ironic considering the Lib dems support full proportional representation which would result in LD's having to form coalitions with both Labour or Conservatives depending the electoral arithmetics in every parliament.

Therefore it becomes logical that under PR, Lib Dem supporter will be working with another party whatever the result.

Not relevant at the moment - we don't have PR yet.
  • the power kingthe power king Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i voted no and havent sice 1989 bee Labour ever since 1990 :D goodbye Lib Dens;):D:cool:
  • OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    Not relevant at the moment - we don't have PR yet.

That is correct - we dont have PR at the moment, but previous as Lib Dem supporter before the 2010 election ( I'm assuming?) I presume you were in favour the LD's push for a more proportional electoral system?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    The poll roughly shows that one third of respondents still support the Liberal Democrats whilst two thirds do not.

Unless they act more decisively to water down/amend/block the harshest of Tory policies then the Lib Dems will find themselves deeply unpopular. They are in a strong position because the Tories would be a weak and unstable minority government without them so they ought to flex their muscles more to stop the nasty Tory excesses.

There is a precedent for this in the "Spring Tide" of 1992 when Dick Spring led the Irish Labour Party to their best ever performance with 33 parliamentary seats in the Dail. However, instead of forming a progressive multi-party coalition with the likes of Fine Gael, Democratic Left and others, he led the party into a coalition with the centre-right Fianna Fail which upset very many Labour members and voters.

In the subsequent 1997 general election, Labour were firmly punished by the voters and they were left with 17 parliamentary seats, i.e. their numbers were just about cut in half*. I strongly suspect that a similar fate awaits the Liberal Democrats in 2015 and my money's on Nick Clegg being ousted as leader.

*Note: It will take Labour in Ireland 14 years to recover from that disastrous decision.
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always voted Lib Dem but no longer, I'm disgusted. I cancelled my LD membership a few weeks ago and returned my card. I decided to do cancel it shortly after the Coalition formed when it was quite clear that key Lib Dem principles and values were being sacrificed for power. It only took me this long to actually cancel the membership because I wanted to make sure I included everything I wanted to say in the letter and I'm glad I waited because I could then include the lies regarding the university fees.

Yes, I'm well aware that the Lib Dems didn't win the election but by standing alongside the Tories they are allowing them to fulfil their long held ideologies. What's worse is that the Lib Dems in the Cabinet are regularly wheeled out to propose/support these dreadful policies. And Clegg is now proven to be a liar and is not to be trusted again.

I won't be voting Labour, they got us into this mess and many of those involved/responsible are still there and as such aren't to be trusted either and I will certainly never vote Tory. I am no longer aligned to anyone. All this has just proved they really are all as bad as each other.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Rugby Rose wrote: »
    I've always voted Lib Dem but no longer, I'm disgusted. I cancelled my LD membership a few weeks ago and returned my card. I decided to do cancel it shortly after the Coalition formed when it was quite clear that key Lib Dem principles and values were being sacrificed for power. It only took me this long to actually cancel the membership because I wanted to make sure I included everything I wanted to say in the letter and I'm glad I waited because I could then include the lies regarding the university fees.

Yes, I'm well aware that the Lib Dems didn't win the election but by standing alongside the Tories they are allowing them to fulfil their long held ideologies. What's worse is that the Lib Dems in the Cabinet are regularly wheeled out to propose/support these dreadful policies. And Clegg is now proven to be a liar and is not to be trusted again.

I won't be voting Labour, they got us into this mess and many of those involved/responsible are still there and as such aren't to be trusted either and I will certainly never vote Tory. I am no longer aligned to anyone. All this has just proved they really are all as bad as each other.

Depending upon where you live, I am sure that the other progressive parties in the UK such as the Greens, the SNP in Scotland and Plaid Cymru in Wales would very much welcome your vote. None of them is propping up a beastly Tory regime and I am sure they would all warmly welcome former Lib Dem members, supporters and voters.

If all else fails, at least go to the polling station and spoil the ballot paper by perhaps writing something like, "None of the above because they have all let me down".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    I voted for them but wouldn't again or atleast wont for along time. I'll might vote labour next as I don't think I could bring myself to ever vote tory.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    That third option is just patronising.
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depending upon where you live, I am sure that the other progressive parties in the UK such as the Greens, the SNP in Scotland and Plaid Cymru in Wales would very much welcome your vote. None of them is propping up a beastly Tory regime and I am sure they would all warmly welcome former Lib Dem members, supporters and voters.

If all else fails, at least go to the polling station and spoil the ballot paper by perhaps writing something like, "None of the above because they have all let me down".

I'm in South Staffordshire. I'm aware my values have been closely aligned to Greens in the past so I will look seriously at them next time although I don't think they even stand in this area, unfortunately we're in a very safe Tory seat. In all honestly I trust no one now anyway. I've always strongly believed we must all use our vote, but I think for the foreseeable future I may well be spoiling the ballot with 'None of the Above'.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On this poll why is there not a option for people to say for the moment i still support them:confused:
  • kibblerokkibblerok Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There aren't 81 Lid Dem supporters in this part of the forum.... anyone not a Lib Dem supporter would just vote against.

A more accurate poll would be a "who would you vote for" poll - there you could judge whether their support had fallen from the percentage compared to pre election polls on here.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I've voted for the Lib Dems in the last 3 general elections. I can't see myself voting for them next time. I originally supported their decision to form the coalition with the Tories as I hoped they would act as a moderating force and open up the debate on social and economic policy to real scrutiny. Instead, they've acted like one of the boys that stands behind the bully, repeating his taunts and kicking the victims after the big boy has knocked them to the ground.

Those slimeballs are worse than the bully.
  • BRMBBRMB Posts: 3,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rugby Rose wrote: »

Pretty much the same here. My membership lapsed a few weeks ago and I will not be renewing it.

Although initially upbeat about the coalition, and even somewhat understanding of the dilemma the Lib Dems find themselves in, the justifications being trotted out for their change of heart rankle.

So, another non-aligned voter here.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I've voted for the Lib Dems in the last 3 general elections. I can't see myself voting for them next time. I originally supported their decision to form the coalition with the Tories as I hoped they would act as a moderating force and open up the debate on social and economic policy to real scrutiny. Instead, they've acted like one of the boys that stands behind the bully, repeating his taunts and kicking the victims after the big boy has knocked them to the ground.

Those slimeballs are worse than the bully.

Yea they should have bought your vote by spending the country into oblivion. Really responsible.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The LD leadership basically betrayed the ideological position that they presented to the voters.

Most people don't vote on policies (student fees is an exception of course)

Policies just give people an idea of what a party is, "know us by our policies" you might say.

So the LD have betrayed on ideology and betrayed on key policy. oops!
    Forum Member
    pocatello wrote: »
    Yea they should have bought your vote by spending the country into oblivion. Really responsible.

I'd be irresponsible if I supported a government who is doing nothing to move away from the policies that caused the last recession, and which will lead to the slow decline of this country and the rest of the Western nations.
  • alanr74alanr74 Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted Labour in the past, but since Gordon "no more boom or bust" Brown, destroyed this country...

..I won't be voting for them again. Shame on labour, shame on their supporters.
  • BRMBBRMB Posts: 3,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanr74 wrote: »
    I voted Labour in the past, but since Gordon "no more boom or bust" Brown, destroyed this country...

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your unhappiness with labour in a thread about the Lib Dems :D
    Forum Member

He didn't destroy the country, stop exaggerating! We are still in a far better position than we were in the early 80s. We've been in decline for decades now, certainly since before Brown had any power.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    Yes, I voted for them tactically in a fairly safely held Lib Dem seat as I wanted a Lib/Con Coalition due to Brown being a walking disaster area but my not trusting Cameron and Osborne as far as i could throw them.

Next time I'll do the same but be probably be wanting a Lib/Lab coalition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRMB wrote: »
    Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your unhappiness with labour in a thread about the Lib Dems :D

... a thread full of labourites telling us LDs how nasty and shameful we are :D
  • Analogue110Analogue110 Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rossall wrote: »
    Yes, I voted for them tactically in a fairly safely held Lib Dem seat as I wanted a Lib/Con Coalition due to Brown being a walking disaster area but my not trusting Cameron and Osborne as far as i could throw them.

Next time I'll do the same but be probably be wanting a Lib/Lab coalition.

Well I'll say one thing for Nick Clegg and the Lib-Dems, I saw a student protester burn an effigy of Clegg and this must be the first time in years anyone has been that concerned about what the leader of the Lib-dems thinks.
  • alanr74alanr74 Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »
    ... a thread full of labourites telling us LDs how nasty and shameful we are :D

It's brillaint isn't it!

All you need to do is put the words 'bitter' and 'labour voter' in the same sentence, and you get an entire 5 pages telling you how they are not.

Put a poll up asking if LD supporters are angry, and you find all the bitter labour voters flocking to it, saying they're unhappy LD voters :D
  • jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's brillaint isn't it!

All you need to do is put the words 'bitter' and 'labour voter' in the same sentence, and you get an entire 5 pages telling you how they are not.

Put a poll up asking if LD supporters are angry, and you find all the bitter labour voters flocking to it, saying they're unhappy LD voters :D

alanr74, it must be late, and I'm sure some people have had a 'rather good lunch' :D

Labour voters aren't "flocking" to this thread pretending to be LD voters and saying they're unhappy. What a silly statement to make. Back it up by pointing to one poster that you know is a Labour supporter who has come on here claiming to be an unhappy LD voter.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly, the Lib Dems have actually seen a 1% rise on the latest yougov poll.