Options

How Americanised Are You?

Comments

• Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    That's fine, because Americans certainly don't care what people who eat things like kidney pie,
    That would be steak and kidney pie. At least try to get your facts right. And i'd rather have a decent steak and kidney pie than American junk food any day.
    blood pudding
    and that would be 'black pudding'...
    , and spotted dick think of what they eat. Spotted dick. Sheesh. I certainly wouldn't eat any dick. Spots or no spots.:)

Do you actually know what it is?
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    That would be steak and kidney pie. At least try to get your facts right. And i'd rather have a decent steak and kidney pie than American junk food any day. and that would be 'black pudding'...

Do you actually know what it is?

LOL, do you know what taking the mick is?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    LOL, do you know what taking the mick is?

And to think, it's us Americans that are accused of not getting British humour.
  • Options
    thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from news most of the television programmes I watch tend to be American.

Your the same as me I watch more American programme than uk made ones and sky NEWS
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit, if I see a new TV show that's CSI wherever with supermodels in high heels and full make-up digging around crime scenes, or some sentimental guff - I turn it off before it can start. Their TV is chronic. I like 'Sponge Bob' though.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    kim1994 wrote: »
    Fairy cakes or cup cakes, which is best..............Fight.......:;)

It would be a pointless fight over labels not product or quality. Fairy cakes would be considered cupcakes in the US. "Cupcake" is a general catch all term in America.
    I like watching The Waltons, does this count?

My mum has this affliction. There's no cure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYyIPbPAQ2Y

http://www.youtube.com/user/timschub#p/a/u/1/cp7_u0kcQRo

Apparently I show a few symptoms myself. :o
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I turn it off before it can start. Their TV is chronic.

Surprisingly similar to how most people react to seeing yet another hate filled post with your name by it.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not very Americanised, I think.......I dont shorten words nor write the date as they do, and Im not really a lover of their programmes, though I did like The Rockford Files and Cannon years ago, I thought these were great. I dont watch any csi or American police action programmes etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anachrony wrote: »
    Surprisingly similar to how most people react to seeing yet another hate filled post with your name by it.

Ah but if you turned it off before it started you wouldn't know what it said or be able to quote it in reply.:D
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah but if you turned it off before it started you wouldn't know what it said or be able to quote it in reply.:D

Are you suggesting he/she turns you off? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you suggesting he/she turns you off? :p

LOL. I think he just did.:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit, if I see a new TV show that's CSI wherever with supermodels in high heels and full make-up digging around crime scenes, or some sentimental guff - I turn it off before it can start. Their TV is chronic. I like 'Sponge Bob' though.

While Marg Helgenberger, Sela Ward and Emily Proctor aren't painful to look at or anything, I don't really think any of them qualify as supermodels . . . ;)

And really given that ITV broadcasts how many hours a week of Corrie and Emmerdale, I'm not sure I'd be casting stones about the quality of any country's television. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luke75b wrote: »
    While Marg Helgenberger, Sela Ward and Emily Proctor aren't painful to look at or anything, I don't really think any of them qualify as supermodels . . . ;)

And really given that ITV broadcasts how many hours a week of Corrie and Emmerdale, I'm not sure I'd be casting stones about the quality of any country's television. :p

They don't look like the average dorky scientist either.:D

I dunno I only saw a bit of it as my sister in law likes this mush and we had to sit through it. My then 15 year old was falling about at them wearing ridiculously glam outfits to process a crime scene.:D The credits went on for weeks, too.

This is the same sister in law who used to avidly watch Dallas and Dynasty in the 80s - which again, bored me rigid. I once had to sit through an entire episode of one of those 2 (never told em apart) and nearly expired of the tedium.:D My only other exposure to rubbish TV is my neice's propensity to sit through Glee which again makes my teenage boys just fall about with laughter it's so bad.:) I tend to go out of the room and make a very loooooong 'cup of tea'.

To be fair my father in law made us watch an entire episode of Emmerdale once and that was equally drab.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't look like the average dorky scientist either.:D

I dunno I only saw a bit of it as my sister in law likes this mush and we had to sit through it. My then 15 year old was falling about at them wearing ridiculously glam outfits to process a crime scene.:D The credits went on for weeks, too.

This is the same sister in law who used to avidly watch Dallas and Dynasty in the 80s - which again, bored me rigid. I once had to sit through an entire episode of one of those 2 (never told em apart) and nearly expired of the tedium.:D My only other exposure to rubbish TV is my neice's propensity to sit through Glee which again makes my teenage boys just fall about with laughter it's so bad.:) I tend to go out of the room and make a very loooooong 'cup of tea'.

To be fair my father in law made us watch an entire episode of Emmerdale once and that was equally drab.

I'll take your glee and raise you Last of the summer wine. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll take your glee and raise you Last of the summer wine. :p

Hmm. Let's call it a draw.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm. Let's call it a draw.:D

:p

Well i don't know if i can settle for a draw when we're comparing one year of perfectly diverse "teenagers" murdering assorted songs and selling music off the back of it as though their lives depend upon it. This is of course up against 30 something years of old men going down a hill in a bath and being hit by harridans with brushes.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    That's fine, because Americans certainly don't care what people who eat things like kidney pie, blood pudding, and spotted dick think of what they eat. Spotted dick. Sheesh. I certainly wouldn't eat any dick. Spots or no spots.:)

Black pudding is actually very nice as is Stake and Kidney.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

Well i don't know if i can settle for a draw when we're comparing one year of perfectly diverse "teenagers" murdering assorted songs and selling music off the back of it as though their lives depend upon it. This is of course up against 30 something years of old men going down a hill in a bath and being hit by harridans with brushes.

But the latter existed for as long as it did to please the old dears.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and how does this justify it and make it ok? :p;)

the former exists to make those involved money....i mean, to please the teenagers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I AM one of those harridans with brushes.

How very dare you, sir?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The very first series or two was actually good. It became a cariacture of itself by series # 3005.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I AM one of those harridans with brushes.

How very dare you, sir?

lol i can't think of you in that way hoggy. Don't tell me you have wrinkled stockings too. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol i can't think of you in that way hoggy. Don't tell me you have wrinkled stockings too. :p

No. Those are my actual legs.:o
  • Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch more quality American/Canadian tv than UK tv these days,but i don't think that means im americanized nor is it a good or bad thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    American rubber or English rubber? :p

:D The funny thing is, I have some glow-in-the-dark condoms 'made in the U.S.A.'

There's been no comments questioning what an 'oyster box" is. They're not that common in the U.K.

Have any Americans had 'mountain oysters' served in an oyster box?