Goldendoodles

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    If you only want a particular type of comment I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place. This will probably be another comment you don't like, but you can ignore it and maybe someone else would be kind enough to answer.

Why are crossbreeds are given a 'name' as if they are a new breed? Why are they not just called (in this case) golden retriever/poodle crosses?

I once had an absolutely gorgeous cat who was a Bengal/Burmese cross. And that is what she was called, and the breeder sold her for £70 rather than the pedigree price of £500. Oh... maybe that's the answer? (I love crossbreeds btw.)

OP - a constructive suggestion: why not go and ask the man in your village who has one, he should be able to give you the full story on owning one.

Its not what I do or don't like to be honest, but I have been surprised by the vociferousness of the comments when my question was pretty clear. Advice on goldendoodles from those who'd had experience with them.

What I have got, for the most part, is lots of advice from people who don't like them because:

They have a silly name
    They are a cross breed
    They are expensive for what they are.
    Breeders do it for money/don't do health checks (proven incorrect in the latter case).

I just wanted to know from someone who had owned one what they were like as a pet really. That's all. Not a lecture on the rights or wrongs on crossbreeding and wasting my money (my money after all!).

I did chat to the man in the village. He was very nice and said he loved the dog and that she wasn't quite a year old. They got her from another part of the country. Said she was very clever and easy to train. Also that she didn't shed much but needed lots of exercise and grooming every day.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you think it's rough here you should try one of the animal welfare sites or serious breeders sites ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I think it would be a really good idea not to encourage the fashion and advise don't do it Jon but it has to be your decision in the end. Just be very aware in the dog rescue world we see so many of them because they don't breed true to type so get too big, hairy etc or are hard to train because they inherit the wilder sides of both breeds.

This is the thing though. I'd never heard of these dogs so I was hardly aware that by liking this type of dog I would be "encouraging a fashion".

I just liked the look of a dog and was asking people who'd had them what they were like as pets.

The fact they are a cross breed is okay with me. I don't mind that. I don't mind getting a rescue dog for that matter. The fact they are (apparently) a designer dog has passed me by and doesn't interest me one iota. We are also considering schnauzers as my husband had one growing up.

We just want a dog to love, take care of and be part of our family. That's it. I saw a dog, talked to the owner about it and came on her to ask what they are like as pets.

And I get the biggest grief I think I've got on this site for years. I'm like WOAH!! :eek:
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I guess we tend to assume everyone by now knows about the problems so it would be a surprise to get jumped on if you didn't know about them, I'm sorry if anything I said sounded like jumping and we are all fairly OK in this part of the forum really - promise ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Yes I guess we tend to assume everyone by now knows about the problems so it would be a surprise to get jumped on if you didn't know about them, I'm sorry if anything I said sounded like jumping and we are all fairly OK in this part of the forum really - promise ;)

Its okay - in hindsight amusing. I was a lamb to the slaughter! I simply had no idea :D

I should have asked about cross breeds - I'd have gotten away with that I think.

Or maybe not :eek:;):)

No harm done. x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... actually, quite like the look of Spanish Water Dogs :)

Very similar in looks but pedigree
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've worked with a few goldendoodles and they were great dogs. They were all huge! Lots of coat to groom but it's worth it, it's such a shame to see them shaved to the bone. They can be high energy, highly intelligent and love active family life. They can pong a bit though as they have both the Goldie and the poodle love of water :rolleyes:

I've also worked with one SWD, he was quite high maintenance but followed cues every time. He was very male and wouldn't back down from confrontation. Their coats should be clipped only once a year, never trimmed in between. They should look natural.

You'll probably have to go on a waiting list for a SWD puppy, very few are born each year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've worked with a few goldendoodles and they were great dogs. They were all huge! Lots of coat to groom but it's worth it, it's such a shame to see them shaved to the bone. They can be high energy, highly intelligent and love active family life. They can pong a bit though as they have both the Goldie and the poodle love of water :rolleyes:

I've also worked with one SWD, he was quite high maintenance but followed cues every time. He was very male and wouldn't back down from confrontation. Their coats should be clipped only once a year, never trimmed in between. They should look natural.

You'll probably have to go on a waiting list for a SWD puppy, very few are born each year.

Thanks so much for your reply! Nice to hear something positive :p:)

Whatever we do get would probably get a bitch when we eventually get one. Yes, have been looking at various breeders online for the SWD... lovely looking dog and a better size (smaller) and seems good in a family situation.

When you said waiting list, do you mean over a year? This is ok and expected really. My mum had to wait a year for her British Blue cat! Plus it really make you think about getting a pet rather that getting one on the spur of the moment.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jon8769 wrote: »
    When you said waiting list, do you mean over a year? This is ok and expected really. My mum had to wait a year for her British Blue cat! Plus it really make you think about getting a pet rather that getting one on the spur of the moment.

Thanks again.

Maybe, yes. Generally because breeders only breed to keep a pup to show. Also it helps them see who the dedicated owners will be, they won't make it easy and really it should feel like you're being interviewed! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe, yes. Generally because breeders only breed to keep a pup to show. Also it helps them see who the dedicated owners will be, they won't make it easy and really it should feel like you're being interviewed! :)

Yes, I'd be worried if didn't want to know all about us!