Options

Would an apple custard crumble work?

mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
Forum Member
✭✭
Or pie for that matter?!

We were given lots of apples yesterday and would like to do something a bit different to stewed apple etc.

I was think of making up some custard, and putting it at the bottom of the dish with, sliced apples (probably blanch them first), sprinkled with sugar then the crumble (or pie) top.

Any other apple suggestions welcome, we have nearly 9lb of apples :eek:

Comments

• Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toffee apple crumble - stick some (decent) dulce de leche on the top.
    Make your own apple sauce for pork roasts - it freezes okay.
    Use apples in cooking - with pork or it does work with chicken also.
    In salads
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I saw a nice easy apple plate pie the other day. You could have the custard on the side
    http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/631905
  • Options
    moogiechompymoogiechompy Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh you've brought back memories, my nan used to make an apple and custard pie - essentially a deep dish apple pie but only 3/4 full of apples when cooked, after it came out the oven she made a hole in the middle and would pour in warm custard until the gap was filled (a bit like pork pie jelly!), and then stuck it in the fridge until the custard set, really yummy sliced up with even more hot custard :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Yes its working. http://www.auntbessies.co.uk/product# Apple & Custard Crumble the custard is in it, yummy.

Also Bramley Apple & Custard Pie as well. Aunt bessies had two products of those. Its new.

Not see anywhere for recipes on website for homemade custard inside apple crumble i have no idea!!.
  • Options
    mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went with the crumble and by heck it was good, it took away the sharpness from the apples as sometimes I find that sugar isn't enough!

When I was sorting the apples I also found about 2lb of plums! Think I'll just stew them though!

Thank you for the suggestions, the toffee apple one sounds divine!!!