The Chandler's are free!!

12346»

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    They were sailing near the Seychelles.

...and then they sailed to the north west nearer the African coast which they were explicitly advised not to do. I am glad that they are free now and that they can be reunited with their family but they ought perhaps to have listened to the good advice that was given to them.

It's like those hikers who went right up to the Iranian border or those people who, of their own (insane) free will decide to cross over from China into North Korea. Taking a precautionary approach should apply in unsafe areas of the world http://ezinearticles.com/?Worlds-Most-Dangerous-Countries-for-Tourists&id=1035438, http://www.forbes.com/2003/01/22/cx_cv_0123featslide_2.html?thisSpeed=10000.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung! wrote: »
    If this couple had been your parents, you would have been begging for money to pay the ransom.

That's very true! But I wouldn't be very happy if my parents were the next people to get kidnapped and held to ransom by the same scumbags just because it's worked before.
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's very true! But I wouldn't be very happy if my parents were the next people to get kidnapped and held to ransom by the same scumbags just because it's worked before.

Pay it. Don't pay it. They'll keep trying regardless.
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Recent article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1329675/British-yacht-couple-Paul-Rachel-Chandlers-grief-learn-family-death-captivity.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Poor paul, his dad died in July :(

I also think he is mad for saying he wants to go back out to sea soon, you think this thing would scare him for life.
  • Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe after that ordeal that he would still like to continue sailing - an experience like that would put me off for life.

Just watching my local news which is saying how a local Somali man from Leytonstone, East London acted as the main mediator and negotiator and helped with the release of the Chandlers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    I can't believe after that ordeal that he would still like to continue sailing - an experience like that would put me off for life.

Just watching my local news which is saying how a local Somali man from Leytonstone, East London acted as the main mediator and negotiator and helped with the release of the Chandlers.

Yes, a lot of Somali ex-pats, and i think Somali locals, rallied behind the Chandlers and helped raise money (those evil Muslims!! :cool:).

I suppose it's akin to getting back on a horse after you've fallen off. They obviously have a love of sailing, and they're not going to let the pirates destroy it for them, they're not going to let them control their lives beyond the ordeal, and actually i think that's very admirable, it takes guts.

I do wonder if the UK government didn't funnel some money through. The official policy is 'we don't negotiate with terrorists' (untrue - think of NI and the Taliban), but unofficially?
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that piece of scum Max Clifford just appeared on the news going on about how much money they can make out of their story.
    If they do make any cash I'd hope they have the humility to pay back the people who raised the ransom to get them out of a situation caused by their own stupidity.
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    Skolastyka wrote: »
    Yes, a lot of Somali ex-pats, and i think Somali locals, rallied behind the Chandlers and helped raise money (those evil Muslims!! :cool:).

I suppose it's akin to getting back on a horse after you've fallen off. They obviously have a love of sailing, and they're not going to let the pirates destroy it for them, they're not going to let them control their lives beyond the ordeal, and actually i think that's very admirable, it takes guts.

I do wonder if the UK government didn't funnel some money through. The official policy is 'we don't negotiate with terrorists' (untrue - think of NI and the Taliban), but unofficially?

In March of this year £5.8 million was paid by the UK government to Somalia for 'peace initiatives,' and it was, and has been, rumoured than some was to be unofficially chanelled towards their release. However, both Douglas Alexander and David Milliband have come out and stated that this wasn't the case. And TBH, if it was the case the Chandlers would have been released 6 months ago.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad to hear that Pauls dad didn't live to see them freed.:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbella wrote: »
    In March of this year £5.8 million was paid by the UK government to Somalia for 'peace initiatives,' and it was, and has been, rumoured than some was to be unofficially chanelled towards their release. However, both Douglas Alexander and David Milliband have come out and stated that this wasn't the case. And TBH, if it was the case the Chandlers would have been released 6 months ago.

It was stated earlier that two payments were made, one in June, and one recently, and this secured their release.
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that piece of scum Max Clifford just appeared on the news going on about how much money they can make out of their story.
    If they do make any cash I'd hope they have the humility to pay back the people who raised the ransom to get them out of a situation caused by their own stupidity.
    He always has to dip his fat oar in, the parasite. In this case I have no objection at all to the Chandlers selling their story to a newspaper. They deserve it after their ordeal but please, not through Max Clifford.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    kevo88 wrote: »
    BBC are well ripping into Sky about them breaking the injunction.

And so they should.

I wonder if Sky and the other media outlets who broke the injunction can be prosecuted for this?

It seems the answer is yes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15801828
  • topptopp Posts: 2,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely that wouldn't happen ? It incentivises the kidnappers to do it again, just as much as if it were done in public :confused:

I hope it's true that they are free but a ransom should not have been paid under any circumstances.

Nothing showing on BBC online yet.
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    I agree, I'm relieved that they've been freed but alarmed that a ransom was paid, it's sets a precedent and that could be disasterous.
    The correspondent says £800,000 was paid, in part by a village in Somalia, the mayor of Adado has been helping.
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Yes, and even moreso now that a ransom's been paid. I dread to think what's going to happen in the future. :cry:

Ransoms are always paid. I saw it in the movies, so it must be true. Pirates dont work for free, and there is no social security in Somalia, how else are they going to feed their kids?
    cultureman wrote: »
    Does anyone else agree that given the treatment they have reportedly received, they are looking remarkably well?

If I saw them walking down the high street, I would barely give them a second glance.

I dont think these kidnappers treat the captives badly. Im not saying the experience is in any way good. But it's never in the interest of kidnappers to harm the captives.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh! Old thread. I saw the two of them recently on moaning at a commons committee about the government not doing enough at the time. At least they never headed straight back with a 'it's not going to change my life' attitude.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you be any more excited?
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about freeing that apostrophe from the thread title? :p