Options

Sky Sports HD Virgin Media Question

realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

My grandmother, who is a big football fan, has recently bought a 40" LCD TV.

She has the XL pack including Sky Sports in standard definition.

She receives the other HD channels as part of her package but she has to pay (I think) £7 extra per month for Sky Sports in HD.

My question is: I've read posts on this and other problems with people saying that the picture quality of Sky Sports in HD isn't that good, and that they've been reducing the quality of it in recent times.

In your view, is the Sky Sports HD subscription worth the money? Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    Hi,

My grandmother, who is a big football fan, has recently bought a 40" LCD TV.

She has the XL pack including Sky Sports in standard definition.

She receives the other HD channels as part of her package but she has to pay (I think) £7 extra per month for Sky Sports in HD.

My question is: I've read posts on this and other problems with people saying that the picture quality of Sky Sports in HD isn't that good, and that they've been reducing the quality of it in recent times.

In your view, is the Sky Sports HD subscription worth the money? Thanks guys.

I do not have Virgin HD channels, so I cannot comment, but the answer to your question is most definitely yes, even if the picture is not great then it is still better than SD, so other Posters on these Forums tell me

Depending on what package you have now, you might be able to upgrade to the VIP30/50/100 Package and get the Sky HD channels for free
    plus an extra Set Top Box if you wanted one
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Would I be right in thinking you subscribe to Sky Sports on a monthly basis? She could sign up, keep it for a month and if all is good just carry on. If not, just cancel. I'd imagine this is going to be quite subjective anyway.
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    SC03OTT wrote: »
    Would I be right in thinking you subscribe to Sky Sports on a monthly basis? She could sign up, keep it for a month and if all is good just carry on. If not, just cancel. I'd imagine this is going to be quite subjective anyway.

Yes, when you add Sky Sports or any other channel(s) to your package you must keep it for a month - a total of 30 days, but you can still cancel during the 30 days
    and it will come into effect after the 30 days has ended
  • Options
    mikey1947mikey1947 Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Sky Sports HD quality is very good. Noticable difference over SD broadcasts. She shouldn't be disappointed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies guys. I think the answer is to subscribe for a month and take it from there.
    One other thing: Should her settings be set to 720 or 1080 wide? It's a 40 inch LCD TV if that's relevant.
  • Options
    Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,333
    Forum Member
    You should set it at 1080 wide because that is what all the HD channels in the UK broadcast at. If you set it at 720 it will downscale the picture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    martine93 wrote: »
    You should set it at 1080 wide because that is what all the HD channels in the UK broadcast at. If you set it at 720 it will downscale the picture.

Thanks.
  • Options
    greeninfernogreeninferno Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    martine93 wrote: »

on some tv's 720p may look better than 1080i.

you should try both and see which gives the better picture
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys - I ordered Sky Sports HD when I was around her house earlier tonight and I must say the picture quality was significantly better.

I can't say I noticed a huge amount of difference between 720 and 1080 but I set it to 1080 because that's how it's broadcast.

Thanks for all your help.