Options

Driving Lesson worries

SmiirkySmiirky Posts: 1,940
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all. I'm currently having driving lessons, i'm not a very confident person at all and I just had to cut my lesson short today by half an hour because I got so anxious and started crying because I stalled on a hill and panicked.

I do like driving, but I am just so scared. Was anyone else like this, or am I over reacting?

:(

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Try and stick with it if you can. I hated driving to start with because I would always panic and then a mental block would form. My driving instructor just reminded me that I shouldn't be doing things perfectly at that stage and that other road users would have to make allowances if I did indeed stall- and that's what the 'L' plates were for.

Take a deep breath if you panic and try and think things through logically and I'm sure you'll be fine further through your lessons.

P.S. I passed first time (so it can be done)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only had 3 so far, and today I was doing right hand turns on hills, I was quite confident up until that point, and then it all just seemed to go wrong. I thought it better to end it early than carry on with an unfocused mind, you know? I just feel like such a tit, my instructor says i'm doing really well but I just don't FEEL like I am. :(
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I almost had a nervous breakdown with my driving lessons. It's been pretty much the worst experience of my life so far. However I did finally pass on my 6th attempt and once I did I had no issues with driving.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Rather than end the lesson early- can you not pull over somewhere for a breather? This is what I did when I got flustered and it allowed my driving instructor to talk through the move and demonstrate without me worrying about the traffic I was holding up at the time. You probably are doing quite well, you seem to have high expectations of yourself but, you need to remember you are learning. Your driving instructor would not take you somewhere/ask you to do something if he thought you weren't ready for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's how i'm feeling at the moment. I've booked another for Sunday, I really want to do this, I just hope my lack of confidence doesn't stop me :(
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just wondering how many lessons you have had and how are you getting on with your instructor ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C4rv, I've had 3 lessons, that comes to 5 1/2 hours, and my instructor is lovely, she was really understanding.

RoseThorn, we did pull over for about 10 minutes, but I just couldn't focus properly, the thing is, she said I'm doing well, but I just can't get the confidence I need because whenever I do, I mess up, and lose it again.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to trust your instructor.

We have all stalled the engine whilst on driving lessons. I have been driving for years and I did it the other day myself. I had my music on, wasn't concentrating, and stalled the engine. I felt like a right plonker with everyone honking their horns at me .... but I bet most people have done it since passed their tests.

Just stick with it. It will all be worth it in the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to give up, it's not in my nature..lol. I guess everyone just has, bad days? I had things going on in my mind anyway that may have distracted me. But, I have no intention of giving up. :)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 lessons is nothing though if you are having a problem focusing 2 hours at a time maybe you want to do your lessons one hour at a time, there is no rush.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, i'm having an hour on sunday..I just didn't know if I was over reacting or not, there's just so so much to take in, it gets a little overwhelming sometimes. :(
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Kinda related....

You say you've had 5 half-hour lessons?

I think you might be better going for 1 hour lessons instead.

Trouble is that with a half-hour lesson the instructor has to get right into it and force you to start doing stuff like 3-point turns, hill starts, reversing around corners and all that malarkey.

If you have a 1 hour lesson you'll spend the first 10 minutes just cruising around and while the benefit of this might not be immediately apparent it will help relax you, familiarise you with the car and allow you to learn about how to handle traffic.

Most importantly, it will relax you and the whole thing will become less of an ordeal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a 2 hour lesson a couple of weeks ago, another 2 hour one last week, and an hour and a half today. Todays was meant to be 2 hours but I asked her to cut it short because I got a little overwhelmed. I'm going to see what 1 hour lessons are like.
  • Options
    Noisy OysterNoisy Oyster Posts: 1,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One hour lessons might be enough for you to cope with - at least to start with - because there's so much to learn when you've never driven before.

When I started having lessons years ago on my third lesson the instructor got me mixed up with someone else who'd had a lot more and took me on a really busy 60 mph limit road. I totally panicked, couldn't stop shaking afterwards and didn't dare get back in a car for years.

My second instructor was SO different to the first one. He was so kind and patient and NEVER mistook me for someone else. I'm not a very confident person and I'm dreadfully dyspraxic too but I passed my test and now drive happily around my local area. Your instructor sounds lovely. My advice would be to take your time, try and relax as much as you can and don't be too hard on yourself. Eventually, it all falls into place. We all stall occasionally - if it's a man driving it's the car's fault and if it's a woman it's hers :) Good luck, you'll be fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, she said to me when I was getting upset that she didn't really know what to say to me, because I'm doing so well and just had a momentary lapse in concentration. I don't know why I'm so hard on myself to be honest.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    with everyone honking their horns at me

The old "restarting the engine remotely with the horn" method. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Experienced Road users are harsh and sometimes horrible with learners, that's a notorious fact, I've encountered a few in the short time I've been learning. I think they forget they were in our shoes once.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I was the same! The best thing I found was I did loads of lessons in one week and it helped me so much! I did 10 hours in one week and then had a couple of days break for it and then I was really confident when I got in the car.
    Once I passed my test I went back to square one again with panicking in the car but after a couple of weeks it's fine. I'm glad I didn't just quit when it was scary and when I panicked. Just keep with it and just concentrate on what your doing and not what people are thinking (which is what I always used to do especially at roundabouts)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad I'm not alone in feeling like this! Its just SO much information to take in at once, I can't handle it all sometimes lol
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh God I HATED my driving lessons. I failed my test twice with nerves. The only thing that got me through it the second time was a squirt of rescue remedy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just take it slow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Smiirky wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm currently having driving lessons, i'm not a very confident person at all and I just had to cut my lesson short today by half an hour because I got so anxious and started crying because I stalled on a hill and panicked.

I do like driving, but I am just so scared. Was anyone else like this, or am I over reacting?

That sounds like me, but I panicked when going on a roundabout. Went on the roundabout without giving way, panicked, mind went blank, sped round the roundabout, forgot which lane to go in, didn't indicate & came off at wrong exit. Woww did I get a lecture after that. :o Times like that I don't think I'll ever be a good driver. Don't worry about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I find what's helping me at the moment is being in a dual control car, and my instructor saying to me that she won't let anything happen, and even if it could, it'll get sorted out. Just think about how many other people use your car (assuming it's a driving school) and everything they've done to it! Makes me feel a lot better.

Practice makes perfect. Good luck :)
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiirky wrote: »

how is your instructor I found there are two major types of instructors one for calm slow learners, and the second type to tame boy racers. You may require the first. I've had many different instructors because I kept moving about location to location job wise for a while so I had to. You may even want to find an easier car to drive. I found the Toyota yaris the most difficult to drive, the Vauxhall Corsa the easiest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes my car is duel controlled too, didn't stop me panicking though. Rolling down a hill backwards when you're fluffing around is a horrendous experience. lol.