Options

DENTIST: Front tooth cap

realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
Forum Member
✭✭✭
About four months ago I chipped one of my front teeth and had it capped on the NHS. I have now fallen out with that dentist over an unrelated matter (shoddy, rushed work on another of my teeth) and I pay to go privately.

Part of the cap on the front tooth has chipped off tonight leaving a sharp edge and it looks bad cosmetically. I'll have to get an appointment with my private dentist to have this fixed after the weekend.

How much should I be prepared to pay?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll depend on a lot of things. When I got mine done I had the option to go private and it was quoated at about £300ish I think but I went NHS. I'm not sure if it'll be the same amount but you'd think it'd be similar.
  • Options
    purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a large filling (cap) on my front tooth (about £60 private) as opposed to a crown (about £300 private). Luckily I have enough tooth left to have it capped, not as nice looking though
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies guys - much appreciated.
  • Options
    Rapid 17Rapid 17 Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Try and find another NHS dentist who will take you on. A new crown to replace the damaged one will cost £209.00 on the NHS.

Geoff.
  • Options
    hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chihiro94 wrote: »
    It'll depend on a lot of things. When I got mine done I had the option to go private and it was quoated at about £300ish I think but I went NHS. I'm not sure if it'll be the same amount but you'd think it'd be similar.

I think you`ll find it`s about £100+ NHS
  • Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hooter wrote: »
    I think you`ll find it`s about £100+ NHS

Under 18 in full time education at the time. :)
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mean to hi-jack the thread :o But I have chipped one of my teeth at the front, and my dentist has now filled my tooth twice. But the fillings keep falling out I find, and has since fallen out again. The last time he told me that if it happened a 3rd time he would cap it. But what really is a cap? And does it hurt haha?
  • Options
    Rapid 17Rapid 17 Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Further to my previous reply, see the NHS dental charges here http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/nhs-dental-charges.aspx

Geoff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    I don't mean to hi-jack the thread :o But I have chipped one of my teeth at the front, and my dentist has now filled my tooth twice. But the fillings keep falling out I find, and has since fallen out again. The last time he told me that if it happened a 3rd time he would cap it. But what really is a cap? And does it hurt haha?

I think a little clarity is needed on terminology here. The word 'cap' is used to mean two different things; a white filling that builds up a tooth, or a crown (more later). It seems to me that the general public generally mean a white filling, but a dentist who says 'cap' is usually talking about a crown.

A crown is a false tooth, normally made of metal, porcelain, or most commonly porcelain over a metal base. They can be used where a tooth is very broken down, or when a filling won't stay in place. They can look pretty realistic, but the downside is that you have to cut away quite a lot of the natural tooth so that a crown can be fitted (the tooth ends up looking like a peg). Also on average 1 in 5 teeth with a crown on die off and so may need root canal treatment.

As to whether it hurts, well it should be carried out under local anaesthetic and be no more painful than a normal filling. You would generally have a temporary crown for the two weeks it takes the lab to make the permanent one.

Hope this helps,
    Ed
  • Options
    asdf1982asdf1982 Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got caps privately (I call them veneers I suspect thats what you mean) and they were guaranteed for 5 years so anything that happens to them chips/falling off etc dentist has to fix them for free. Having said that nothing has happened in 3 years.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edgayton wrote: »
    I think a little clarity is needed on terminology here. The word 'cap' is used to mean two different things; a white filling that builds up a tooth, or a crown (more later). It seems to me that the general public generally mean a white filling, but a dentist who says 'cap' is usually talking about a crown.

A crown is a false tooth, normally made of metal, porcelain, or most commonly porcelain over a metal base. They can be used where a tooth is very broken down, or when a filling won't stay in place. They can look pretty realistic, but the downside is that you have to cut away quite a lot of the natural tooth so that a crown can be fitted (the tooth ends up looking like a peg). Also on average 1 in 5 teeth with a crown on die off and so may need root canal treatment.

As to whether it hurts, well it should be carried out under local anaesthetic and be no more painful than a normal filling. You would generally have a temporary crown for the two weeks it takes the lab to make the permanent one.

Hope this helps,
    Ed

Thanks that helped a lot :) I think because my 2 front teeth have become quite thin, that the filling does come out easier (despite the dentist saying they shouldn't come out) So I guess a crown is what I need