Options

Is Gary the worst judge/mentor ever on x factor?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imo yes, he is. That's just my own opinion though and I understand others may have a wildly different view on things.

I just find him boring, hypocritical and sometimes slightly nasty. I think he is a decent guy off-screen but I just don't like his "judge persona." It's like he switches personalities when he sits in that seat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louis is one of the worst. He's only in it for the money:D

Yes, I'm sure Gary and the others are all in it to help the aspiring artists of tomorrow out of the goodness of their own hearts.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bjkaave wrote: »
    Yes, I'm sure Gary and the others are all in it to help the aspiring artists of tomorrow out of the goodness of their own hearts.:rolleyes:

No, they also get paid. Difference being, Gary ( especially ) deserves his, Louis on the other hand hasn't the slightest interest in his acts, plain for all to see. He's there for the money and the laugh. Simple:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

There are four aspects to the role, one is to work throught he audition process and select the contestants.

Second, to mentor the contestants.

Three, to critique the performances.

Four, vote someone off from the bottom two.

The audition process is the fascinating, how much freedom do they really have, how much input comes from production or SC.
    I really wonder just how much interference is involved and how much a judge can make the decisions.

Considering the job description Louis, Tulisa and Cheryl are all far far worse than Gary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No he is not the worst mentor ever, Louis Walsh is as far as im concerned, Gary has only done it 2 years, Louis has done it 9 years and only won once
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also think this year Tulisa was a poor mentor, simply because she openly admitted that when it came to Ella and Lucy she just let them get on with it , she did not mentor them
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    No, they also get paid. Difference being, Gary ( especially ) deserves his, Louis on the other hand hasn't the slightest interest in his acts, plain for all to see. He's there for the money and the laugh. Simple:D

Who are you to say he deserves his and the others don't? Previous Louis mentored acts have said that Louis was fine. So he's not a musician himself - I've not heard any of them complain about the moral support he gives.

If you think Gary isn't in it for the money ... then think again. Recent revelations would indicate he thinks a WHOLE LOT about money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PAL65 wrote: »
    No.

There are four aspects to the role, one is to work throught he audition process and select the contestants.

Second, to mentor the contestants.

Three, to critique the performances.

Four, vote someone off from the bottom two.

The audition process is the fascinating, how much freedom do they really have, how much input comes from production or SC.
    I really wonder just how much interference is involved and how much a judge can make the decisions.

If you saw the recent interview Frankie gave in ireland a few weeks back, he clearly said as well that the judges do NOT select the contestants songs, the songs are selected by producers and the mentors have to do their best to get them to sing it well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daisybelle wrote: »
    No.

If you saw the recent interview Frankie gave in ireland a few weeks back, he clearly said as well that the judges do NOT select the contestants songs, the songs are selected by producers and the mentors have to do their best to get them to sing it well.

No I had not seen that, I have wondered for ages what they do in reality and am wondering even more now just how 'produced' it all is, makes a mockery of the concept of mentor and judge sadly doesn't it.
  • Options
    tiggerspptiggerspp Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    Is Gary the worst judge ever?

Nope, that would be Kelly 'Girlfriend' Rowland by quite some margin!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No I had not seen that, I have wondered for ages what they do in reality and am wondering even more now just how 'produced' it all is, makes a mockery of the concept of mentor and judge sadly doesn't it.

Yup it does, it proves in reality that when one judge is attacking another over song choice that its nothing more than scripted controversy.

The way Frankie explained it was, if the contestant doesnt not want to sing the chosen song, they have to go head to head with the producers and most of them don't have the courage to do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yup it does, it proves in reality that when one judge is attacking another over song choice that its nothing more than scripted controversy.

The way Frankie explained it was, if the contestant doesnt not want to sing the chosen song, they have to go head to head with the producers and most of them don't have the courage to do that.

Oh dear its even worse than I thought, I could not be a judge or mentor under those conditions, so the panel are basically puppets playing to direction, thats terrible but you know it explains an awful lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh dear its even worse than I thought, I could not be a judge or mentor under those conditions, so the panel are basically puppets playing to direction, thats terrible but you know it explains an awful lot.

It was one of the most insightful interviews I ever watched to be honest. Frankie has never lied about taking a snort of coke and has openly said more than once that he deserved to loose his place, but the stuff he revealed was pretty shocking
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the end of every series I am always wondering exactly what happens on the show and how its run qand who makes decisions. Nothing ever seems to come out, where did you find the Frankie interview. I presumed they keep a lid on it due to stuff contestants have to sign prior to live shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the end of every series I am always wondering exactly what happens on the show and how its run qand who makes decisions. Nothing ever seems to come out, where did you find the Frankie interview. I presumed they keep a lid on it due to stuff contestants have to sign prior to live shows.

actually it was posted on here a good bit back and i watched it

Frankie revealed that the show made him feel special, all the other contestant were basically under house arrest, not permitted to go anywhere unless some official movie premier etc, However producers would approach and tell him they got him VIP passes to exclusive nightclubs, they would arrange transport and everything and staff would got with him, they did this every weekend.

On the weekend he snorted coke it was the same thing, exclusive nightclub pass, he took his brother because he was there to watch the show. His brother got handed the coke in the toilets. Frankie was paranoid when his brother told them. So instead of returning to the house they got a taxi and went a good distance away to a tiny hotel, they were not followed, there was no press, no cameras, and they snorted in the toilet which had no windows. They got a taxi back to the studio the next day and were immediately pulled into the producers office.
    He was told he was getting fired for taking drugs, like frankie said, how did they know? nobody seen him, the only way they could have known was, the guy in the toilet was a plant for x factor and he was guilty by association. He was told if he went quietly they would let him do the tour, if he made a fuss he would not get to do the tour.

He was never once drug tested.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    actually it was posted on here a good bit back and i watched it

Frankie revealed that the show made him feel special, all the other contestant were basically under house arrest, not permitted to go anywhere unless some official movie premier etc, However producers would approach and tell him they got him VIP passes to exclusive nightclubs, they would arrange transport and everything and staff would got with him, they did this every weekend.

On the weekend he snorted coke it was the same thing, exclusive nightclub pass, he took his brother because he was there to watch the show. His brother got handed the coke in the toilets. Frankie was paranoid when his brother told them. So instead of returning to the house they got a taxi and went a good distance away to a tiny hotel, they were not followed, there was no press, no cameras, and they snorted in the toilet which had no windows. They got a taxi back to the studio the next day and were immediately pulled into the producers office.
    He was told he was getting fired for taking drugs, like frankie said, how did they know? nobody seen him, the only way they could have known was, the guy in the toilet was a plant for x factor and he was guilty by association. He was told if he went quietly they would let him do the tour, if he made a fuss he would not get to do the tour.

He was never once drug tested.

wow:eek:...
    i never liked frankie on the show, but he's seemed like a refreshingly bluntly honest person about many things ever since, and it's sort of changed my opinion of him a bit. he seems sorry for being taken in so easily and acting like a dick.
    that is really just wow though...no wonder they've hushed it up.
    i swear the x factor/scowell literally OWNS the british press. he's got to have bought over shares or gives donations to them or something. they're in his back pocket.:mad:
  • Options
    scootzerscootzer Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Gary Barlow... worst EVER judge!!!??? Have a word with yourself!

I assumed the XFactor manipulation was so obvious that even the most naive of society could see it! Apparently not!!!

Technically he has been the best judge EVER... he knows what he's talking about it as he's performed, written and produced to the highest levels. No-other judge (not even St Cowell) can claim to be so well qualified for the role.

Whenever he's been allowed to give an honest critique it has been insightful, helpful or absolutely honest.

Yes, he's crap at playing the pantomime villain and is unconvincing when being made to defend the joke acts (Frankie) that he's been instructed to mentor.

By all means, dislike his personality, style, face, whatever, but you can't criticise his ability to honestly judge performers!