Options

womens instatute

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
Forum Member
Im trying to get out more and meet more people as apart from going out with my husband and kids im becoming a bit of a hermit, im 40, does anyone know if i would be out of place or is that an old fashioned idea i have?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know anyone who is a member, but they seem to do lots http://www.thewi.org.uk/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its a good idea. I'm going to look for one when we move house as we are relocating and I think its a great way to meet other like minded women. I'm 30, from what I've seen women of all ages are members.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nice idea, but i expect it helps if you go to church,

i expect WI is still an off shoot of the C of E
  • Options
    Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WI is a non religious organisation, any one of any age,race or religion can join.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't go but my friend runs the local one. Ages range from 30ish to about 80 I think. You can go along to 2 meetings for free before deciding if you want to join.

It depends a lot on where you live. In some parts of the country where new WI's have been set up they seem to have a very young, vibrant membership. Others have got stale and stuck in their ways.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone, think i will find out how to join up
  • Options
    LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I don't go but my friend runs the local one. Ages range from 30ish to about 80 I think. You can go along to 2 meetings for free before deciding if you want to join.

It depends a lot on where you live. In some parts of the country where new WI's have been set up they seem to have a very young, vibrant membership. Others have got stale and stuck in their ways.

The one near us is run by yummy mummy wannabes who live for Emma Bridgwater and yearn for a country life. Awful!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one near us is run by yummy mummy wannabes who live for Emma Bridgwater and yearn for a country life. Awful!

Ah ha, Kirstie Allsop wannabes? Cath Kidston tat galore and the more the merrier! Yuk!

Did you see the Kirstie series where she was entering country shows with her cakes and flower arrangements? That was a hoot .... the rules are adhered to 100% but they don't seem to consider artistic flair or originality. Needless to say Kirstie won just about everything she entered.;)
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Whine wrote: »
    WI is a non religious organisation, any one of any age,race or religion can join.

I see - I had assumed that the assocation with Jersualem implied at least a loose Christian/C of E affinity.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    it`s pretty chic, young and fresh here and apparently it`s happening everywhere, no church links at all:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/New-look-WI-plans-to-blog-belly-dance-and-tackle-DIY-20072012.htm
    And although knitting will still feature, the ramped up WI is likely to see members having a go at everything from self defence and dancing the Charleston to picnic punting and cocktail making. Traditionally male pursuits like basic car maintenance and DIY skills are also on the agenda
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's still around, but there used to be an organisation called the National Housewives' Register. They were a bit more intellectual than the WI, lots of talks and interesting visits, rather than jam. I was a member for several years when the children were young, it was a good way to meet people.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    I don't know if it's still around, but there used to be an organisation called the National Housewives' Register.

Now called the National Women's Register (though that still sounds like something a court puts you on...)
  • Options
    Call_me_DaveCall_me_Dave Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    I read the thread title as 'woman in a statue'.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Now called the National Women's Register (though that still sounds like something a court puts you on...)

:D
    Yup, once a woman, always a woman. People should be warned!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Very good idea IMO!
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That sounds horrendous.

If not for my various health problems I'd join something like the WI. I think it would be a great way to meet people. But it really would depend on what the local one is like, and if it was full of yummy mummies or overly "PC" hipster types I'd run away screaming. I suppose it's the luck of the draw whether your local WI is going to be worth joining or not.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Whine wrote: »

Men too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds horrendous.

If not for my various health problems I'd join something like the WI. I think it would be a great way to meet people. But it really would depend on what the local one is like, and if it was full of yummy mummies or overly "PC" hipster types I'd run away screaming. I suppose it's the luck of the draw whether your local WI is going to be worth joining or not.

The one I went to for 2 "free-goes" had no yummy mummies but there were several Parish Council women who like to organise everyone. There were 2 women in their thirties who I think were there just to get away from their kids as they nearly fell asleep.

It was great actually because a woman turned up to try it and she'd come straight from doing her horses. She was covered in hay/straw, had about 20 layers of clothes on and big muddy boots. I know her but nobody else did and their faces were a picture when she came in. I beckoned her over to sit with me.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Don't they bake cakes all day and slag men off?

I wish I could join but my anatomy won't let me. :(
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see - I had assumed that the assocation with Jersualem implied at least a loose Christian/C of E affinity.

Nope. It's linked to the WI through it being used for the women's suffrage movement in the early 1900's. It was a political song (using lyrics from a William Blake poem) for a while before being picked up as a hymn.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it really would depend on what the local one is like, and if it was full of yummy mummies or overly "PC" hipster types I'd run away screaming. I suppose it's the luck of the draw whether your local WI is going to be worth joining or not.

The ones near us are full of older ladies mostly. They have some quaint competitions between members. We had to laugh when we read in the local paper that they had run a competition for the most clean gentleman's shoe, and that three ladies had submitted one and been marked 1st, 2nd and 3rd :D
  • Options
    ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Men too?

Nope not men...I tried to join about 5 years ago.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ppaupy wrote: »
    Nope not men...I tried to join about 5 years ago.

Would have been a good place to meet women I'd have thought.
  • Options
    ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Would have been a good place to meet women I'd have thought.

Great if you are straight...:D
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ones near us are full of older ladies mostly. They have some quaint competitions between members. We had to laugh when we read in the local paper that they had run a competition for the most clean gentleman's shoe, and that three ladies had submitted one and been marked 1st, 2nd and 3rd :D

I'd be comfortable around older ladies - I grew up with a large cluster of great aunts and uncles. :p

I think the WI is cute. I don't mean that in a patronising way but sometimes something quaint like that can be a nice escape from the fast-paced, high-tech world we live. I imagine WI are a comfort for a lot of people.