Options

Sandstrom freesat hd recorder.

cornishcornish Posts: 290
Forum Member
Hi all i am looking for a cheap freesat hd recorder,and have seen this sandstrom.The unit has the freesat logo on it ,but it is not listed on the free sat web site.Does anyone have any experience of these.thanks.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/sandstrom-shdfsat12-freesat-hd-recorder-500gb-15557208-pdt.html

http://www.sandstromstyle.com/product/sandstrom-shdfsat12-freesat-hd-recorder-500gb

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting :D

The spec says internet connectivity - NO but it has an ethernet port and next to usb says iplayer :confused:
  • Options
    GiovanGiovan Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting :D

Pretty sure that Freesat+ HD boxes are supposed to have an ethernet port. This one doesn't :confused:

It says ethernet on the currys site.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Giovan wrote: »
    It says ethernet on the currys site.

Confused by the spec - it says internet no :confused: See edit.

Doesn't appear on the official Freesat site or joinfreesat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The rear view on currys does show a ethernet socket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cornish wrote: »
    The rear view on currys does show a ethernet socket.

It's also shown on the makers website if you spin the image round using the arrows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there any reviews of these anywhere. They look pretty decent for £139 new on ebay with a 500GB drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Giovan wrote: »
    Are there any reviews of these anywhere. They look pretty decent for £139 new on ebay with a 500GB drive.

Not found any yet, probably too new. Could be the same innards as one of the other cheaper Freesat+ pvrs.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not found any yet, probably too new. Could be the same innards as one of the other cheaper Freesat+ pvrs.
    I expect so but probably easy to identify as there are comparatively few manufacturers of Freesat equipment. The Sandstrom brand is owned by Dixons (Currys/PCWorld) which has a big presence in the Nordic countries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would get one if i could find out if it's quiet or has no fan.but can't find anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    I expect so but probably easy to identify as there are comparatively few manufacturers of Freesat equipment. The Sandstrom brand is owned by Dixons (Currys/PCWorld) which has a big presence in the Nordic countries.

Spotted by Barry at My Humax, compare the rear panel with this one.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5322769.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would get one if i could find out if it's quiet or has no fan.but can't find anything.

Looks like it's a Bush 320GB model as sold by Argos with a 500GB hdd. Plenty of reviews for this model.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Design looks more attractive to me than the Bush. And the E-Bay ads state it has iPlayer and ITV Player like the Bush.
  • Options
    pingu123456pingu123456 Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    going by the last photo on the Currys site, it does appear to have an external power supply so that would reduce the need for internal fans. Should in theory make it quieter than some others.

Pingu
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Design looks more attractive to me than the Bush. And the E-Bay ads state it has iPlayer and ITV Player like the Bush.

But in this case beauty is only skin deep :D

Other than the looks pretty certain to be the Bush innards and therefore not widely regarded as being very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Having read the bush reviews (oh dear),i think i will give the sandstrom a miss.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I know I`ve plugged this before but I`d go for the Foxsat managers special anytime.

Still showing at £149 today. (22.01.2013)

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/prodCat.asp?cat=factory&type=sat
  • Options
    MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beberex wrote: »
    I know I`ve plugged this before but I`d go for the Foxsat managers special anytime.

Still showing at £149 today. (22.01.2013)

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/prodCat.asp?cat=factory&type=sat

I'll second that! Even more so if you add Raydon's custom firmware bundle which greatly improves the functionality of an already great box. Just don't expect the fastest EPG or 4OD & Demand 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hi thanks for the link,but i won't be taking it up.I have in the past owned a foxsat and hated it,the slow epg and remote drove me nuts.Now i know lots of you love it but its just not for me and ended up putting it on ebay.