Man lay dead in his flat for 2 years before his skeleton was discovered.

124»

Comments

• Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    <snip>

I bet they wouldn't have been quick to give the last two years rent back to his family, if he'd have had any. All that rent paid unnecessarily and he gets a welfare funeral. :rolleyes:

What are you on about, give the rent back?
    Dead or alive the property was occupied.
    I don't understand the rolleyes either, the local council tax payers paid for the welfare funeral.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's lucky the bedroom tax wasn't brought in when he died or he would have been liable for the extra room. :)
  • dengie dudedengie dude Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When music composers die do they then start decomposing
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    chris1978 wrote: »
    One of my fears is rotting away alone and no one finding me; even though I obviously wouldn't know anything about it as I would be dead.

I would rather rot above ground than in a box 6 ft under.

They would have a PM and would be looking for signs of injury and or poisoning.
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chris1978 wrote: »
    One of my fears is rotting away alone and no one finding me; even though I obviously wouldn't know anything about it as I would be dead.

Me too. It's terrible. RIP. :(
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Close to 50.
    All your bills paid by direct debit.
    No, or very few, local friends and family.
    I can certainly relate to that.

Although I'm not a heavy drinker and don't live alone ... yet.

Someone only bothered to check because he was in arrears with rent, what happens if you own your own home and the mortgage is paid up?

I wonder how long would you lay there undiscovered?

Not that you're likely to care much by that stage.

I told my mum about this thread last night and she believed people tend to pay more attention to elderly loners than middle-aged loners. Examples:

There were two elderly and shy sisters, Daisy and Marigold, who shared a cottage, near Mum's home but quite isolated, until Marigold's death. Up to then, the sisters avoided people because they were too shy to talk to anyone. A local grocery shop knew them well enough not to chit-chat with them. Marigold was a tad more outgoing than Daisy so unsurprisingly, Daisy became a total recluse since her sister's death.

Villagers (the grocer was the first to notice) eventually realised they hadn't seen Daisy around lately and visited her cottage, and found her dead. She passed away in her bed two days before. There was evidence that she had a chest cold, which probably kept her to bed for a couple of days before her death.

On the other hand, there was a loner, Peter, who lived alone in his run-down farm house since his father passed away. No one noticed his absence until they realised he hadn't visited his local pub for weeks. They investigated his home and found him dead in his kitchen. He had a heart attack three or four weeks earlier. He was 43.

I think there's truth to what she believed. The absence of younger loners isn't as noticeable as elderly loners. Probably because of an assumption that younger loners have more opportunities to move around.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you on about, give the rent back?
    Dead or alive the property was occupied.
    I don't understand the rolleyes either, the local council tax payers paid for the welfare funeral.

With the rent they've had from him he could have had a decent funeral.

I'm surprised we haven't had someone complaining on behalf of a tenent that could have had his flat in the meantime. How dare he hang on to the flat after he died, there's is a housing shortage.