Options

Gogglebox on Channel 4 - Has TV jumped the shark?

2»

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's cited as such because people are just parroting what the promotional blurb touted it as.

Rilly? And you know this as fact, how exactly?
    My opinion isn't based on what I think of the show now. I simply said that it was always intended to be gratuitous entertainment.

I’m repeating myself but, all TV is. It doesn’t mean that’s all it can do - It can exist on many levels simultaneously.
    Just because their PR department claim that it was a social experiment doesn't make it so.

And just because you say it wasn’t doesn’t make that true either.
    It was hardly likely to be an experiment if the show had already been done in Holland before.

Different populations - Different reactions. From the reporting on overseas BBs over the years it’s clear the reactions of the inmates are often very different depending on the country so try as you might to negate the worth of franchising the programme I’m afraid it’s a fail on that stance from you as well.
    Endemol are a TV production company whose business it is to specialize in profitable TV entertainment shows which they sell to television channels all over the world. They're not a scientific institution.

And drug companies are in the business of making money by selling their wares - Are their endeavours worthless because their products make people better whilst lining the manufacturers pockets?

Things have worth in different ways and outside of the narrow parameters you are determined to impose on them. Like it or not, the original premise of BB had value both socially and as entertainment.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Music has jumped the Shark for me. Thats why Top of the Pops can't be arsed being on anymore. Apart from Christmas when people have had too much Sherry to care.

How can that make sense?
    How can music itself 'jump the shark' if it's something which can be taken up by anyone who has their own individual ideas about what they want to do?
    It's not one individual person or company deciding what direction music itself takes.
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gkmacca wrote: »
    The phrase 'jumped the shark' has definitely jumped the shark.
    So true. It has absolutely no relation to this thread whatsoever.

Does this show look a bit crap? Yes.

But that's not what jumping the shark means.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CH4 and the BBC do this quite a lot nowadays, a pseudo public service programme. In reality it's gawping at freaks.

They then call it "factual" just to complete the parody.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, was Big Brother some high minded social experiment?
    Same channel that brought you many series of Eurotrash.
    Noting strange at all IMO.

My point about BB was that they were a missing a show that consisted of watching people sit around doing very little, not that BB was high art.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    delete