Options

Passport interviews, does everyone get one?

BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My friends husband is in his forties and has never had a full passport (doesn't want to fly!).

Someone told her if he applies for one he'll have to have an interview, is this correct? He was born in Britain and has always lived here.

Comments

• Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinCat wrote: »
    My friends husband is in his forties and has never had a full passport (doesn't want to fly!).

Someone told her if he applies for one he'll have to have an interview, is this correct? He was born in Britain and has always lived here.

If it is your first adult passport application then you will get asked to go for an interview.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All first time adult passport applications now require and interview.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport/overview
  • Options
    Sarah.1987Sarah.1987 Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What sort of things do they ask? I'm in the process of getting my first one too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah.1987 wrote: »
    What sort of things do they ask? I'm in the process of getting my first one too.

Just basic family questions like parents birthdays, wedding aniversary etc, going by the other threads on here.
  • Options
    BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

Thanks, just checked for him and there's an office in Hull that does them. He was worrying in case he had to take a day off work andgo to London.
  • Options
    Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Great,looking forward to my first interview :(
    Just basic family questions like parents birthdays, wedding aniversary etc, going by the other threads on here.

Why do they ask them type of questions? What they gotta do with MY personal passport?
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do they ask them type of questions? What they gotta do with MY personal passport?

Because somebody committing identity theft might not be too familiar with their fake family background?

Of course, I suspect anybody planning such fraud now makes sure they've done their research so they can answer the questions - I read a while after they had started the interviews that they had detected a grand total of zero dodgy applicants.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well how does it work if you have a child passport and then upgrade it to an adult one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    Well how does it work if you have a child passport and then upgrade it to an adult one.

The same. All adult first time passports require an interview even if you have had a child one.
  • Options
    ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    The same. All adult first time passports require an interview even if you have had a child one.

Not currently true. There is a tentative proposal to move to that (and, indeed, to a random sample at renewal), but the volumes would be immense and the system simply won't scale.

See https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport/overview
    If you’ve had a child passport before, follow the process for renewing your passport to get your first adult passport.
  • Options
    Sarah.1987Sarah.1987 Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents and I aren't that close at all. Can't remember their wedding anniversary or their birthdays. This should be fun. I'm a terrorist!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ibatten wrote: »
    Not currently true. There is a tentative proposal to move to that (and, indeed, to a random sample at renewal), but the volumes would be immense and the system simply won't scale.

See https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport/overview

I only ask because a family member is getting their first adult passport after a child one and nothing was said about an interview.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents and I aren't that close at all. Can't remember their wedding anniversary or their birthdays. This should be fun. I'm a terrorist![/QUOTE]

Yeah best not say that, they record everything you know.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter just upgraded from Child passport to Adult end of May. No questions, no interview, nothing. Posted application on Monday, received on Thursday!
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There was a girl in my work place, applied for here first passport, and she is 48 yr old, getting married later on this year

They asked her some awkward questions, like, so your mums name is boyle, which was wrong and she had to correct them, they were trying to catch her out

when it came to her signing the form, she was told to sign here name as she did before on her application, in fact her application hadn't been signed for

They even asked her, how she got to the passport office, and how does she get to wotk
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had one several years ago but I remember it being basic questions like my brother's name and birthday, stuff on my parents, who my bank account was with and what branch, simple stuff really.
    striing wrote: »
    Wow - does that mean everyone who gets a passport over the age of 16 has to have an interview? No wonder passports are so expensive if they have to cover that kind of cost.

The official reason for the cost was to pay for biometric passports and the ID card system, which got scrapped. The cost hasn't done down to reflect that though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can ask about bills that are paid by you at your home, all stuff that can be accessed, ie phone supplier etc and things like the profession of the persons whos signed your passport application.
  • Options
    lymlym Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You only get asked to an interview if you apply for your first passport as an adult, if you had a child passport you don't need one. If you were included on a parents passport as a child then you will need the interview as an adult. They have been doing the interviews for a few years now.

I had to go for one a few months ago, it was really easy. They just ask you questions like your name, date of birth, address, parents names, who countersigned your passport, how many bank accounts you have & who are they with, how many siblings you have, are you youngest or oldest from your siblings. I didn't get asked parents date of birth or wedding anniversary but the questions vary from person to person and they don't expect you to remember it all, if you can't remember just say so :) You won't fail because you can't answer a question.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    When i had mine my countersigner was a family friend. One of the questions they asked me was how old she was! I didnt know. Does everyone who is 20 know exactly how old their parents friends are? I also didnt know the date my parents got married, or even what season it was!

Im lucky i got my passport when i did. I just had to go to an office in the town about 20 mins away and answer a few questions and show my birth certificate and proof of address. When my sister did hers a few years later she had to travel an hour and a half, go through security checks like at an airport and show even more proof. Then she had her interview in a more formal setting.