Options

Has this happened to you, ladies? (warning: period question!)

2»

Comments

• Options
    suki csuki c Posts: 6,088
    Forum Member
    As a 56 year old who stopped all that malarkey a good 2 years back [BLISS!] I had exactly the same thing start happening in my late forties. I think it isn't that common to carry on into mid fifties [I was nearly 54] so hopefully some of you will be fortunate enough to finish sooner!

Contrary to all the scare stories about the menopause, I've had virtually no symptoms of night sweats, flushes, etc or all the other things I was told would happen. In the end it just fizzled out....after a couple of years of it being every 3 weeks [and heavy! :eek:] things began taking longer and longer, and became lighter and lighter....until one day, freedom!! I can't tell you how great it is :D

Me too - I was in my mid fifties and, apart from a few hot flushes, I hardly noticed a thing :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Ladies, sorry to go a bit OT here, but I have a small ovarian cyst but am getting very severe abdominal/pelvic pain on that side, particularly in the mornings. It tends to wear off during the day, but I feel a bit achy in that region. Have you experienced this? I was manic as I lost my mum to ovarian cancer....I questioned the radiographer as to whether he was adamant it was a cyst and he was very sure. They don't want to see me again - so how will I know if it gets bigger? The pain seems to get worse before my period which have become a little delayed each month ovulation is on that side. I'm 40 by the way....I guess I need to go back to the doctors as the pain is very disconcerting, also getting upset stomachs each month (which I have always been prone to at that time of the month)....any gems of wisdom appreciated!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Homeward I assume you've had a TV ultrasound and hysteoscopy? I think the bottom line on these things is you need to go back if you're not sure as no tests are 100% reliable (not saying you should panic though). I get horrible ovarian pain which makes me feel like I'm about to vomit but they said my ovaries are okay (but equally it's not a guarantee).

Slightly random but I also used to have diarrhoea (I presume this is what you were more delicately referring to :o:D ) every month and terrible stomach pains but it's pretty much stopped since I stopped eating fruit. I don't know if it would be the same for you but it's revolutionised my life and I wish I'd done it years ago. (I've not changed anything else which is how I know it's that.)

Just another thing, make sure you have decent pain medication, and there are all sorts of drugs for the stomachy things you can get. I have anti sickness/nausea drugs now which help a lot. I still get mild nausea but I haven't felt the need to stick my head over the loo (which I have done for years even though nothing ever came out). Okay too graphic. Moving on... .

Thanks, that is reassuring although I ill take a trip to the docs as a minimum to get on their radar (I've just moved countries too, so I guess that makes sense anyway). I had a TV ultrasound, and the radiographer went into a lot of detail about how it was a cyst, clear fluid, nothing suspicious etc and he had my notes my family history. I would hope if there were any doubt, they would have followed up (especially as I was paying) but you never know.... Good advice on the tummy stuff too and pain relief, I will look into that. I also think hitting 40 hasn't helped - everything seems to have started creaking, aching and feeling different :o I hope I am just a huge hypochondriac :D
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but i have a question. I posted on here earlier on in the thread to say that, just one week after finishing my last period I started to bleed again. It started very heavy (which is unlike me anyway) and it hasn't stopped. It is no longer heavy, and I generally don't wear any protection like a tampon, but every time I wee and wipe, there is blood on the tissue.

Its now been 11 days. Should I be concerned ?
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but i have a question. I posted on here earlier on in the thread to say that, just one week after finishing my last period I started to bleed again. It started very heavy (which is unlike me anyway) and it hasn't stopped. It is no longer heavy, and I generally don't wear any protection like a tampon, but every time I wee and wipe, there is blood on the tissue.

Its now been 11 days. Should I be concerned ?

Depends on you're age tbh - but either way have a check up or smear test. It could be your age, change in emotions, diet etc. Don't panic but see your GP/ nurse.

As we age periods do start to become erratic - it could be a one off - either make notes, length of period, light, heavy etc - and see a GP. It's probably hormone related.:)