Syndol tablets unavailable

Comments

• JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AshFan wrote: »
    Syndol is back now, they came back into my Boots store on thursday.

Great!!! Could do with one now, head is pounding.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes! Available at Boots!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Glad to hear this as Boots Tension Headche Tablets are no more................This is my reply from Boots Customer Services.
    We are constantly reviewing the products that we sell, and this product hasn't been selling as well as expected for some time now. Unfortunately I have to confirm that we have made the difficult decision to discontinue this product, to make way for new ranges. If you would like some help finding an alternative product please speak to one of our people in store. They will be more than happy to help you.
    Of Course it won't sell well if you don't stock it!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    After the long wait to resolve the licencing issues which has kept these off the shelves they are back in large quantities! All Boots have shelves full of them, they've received all the back orders owing to them, the first arrived 3 weeks ago!!! The Boots own brand Tension Headache tablets are not back yet however will be soon, these have the same ingredients in the same quantities as Syndol but slightly cheaper to buy when in stock.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have stocked up in the shelleyj89 household!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Just thought i'd let you all know that I saw SYNDOL in my local Independent Chemist today!!!!.(NI) They have had it a few weeks apparently. I bought a pack as I have had headache / neck pain for few days ( I think it must be my pillows) £5.99 for 30.

Leaflet inside Revised April 12. Ingredients appear the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Syndol is off the shelves again.

I emailed the manufacturer and they said:
    Distribution of Syndol is currently on hold. We are working with the MHRA to secure a resolution but unlikely to resume production in the near future
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant see how anyone can take anything with caffeine in when they have a headache or migraine that just makes mine 100 times worse :(
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant see how anyone can take anything with caffeine in when they have a headache or migraine that just makes mine 100 times worse :(

bizarrely caffeine accelerates the metabolism of the analgesia so they work well together for some people.
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    Syndol is off the shelves again.

I emailed the manufacturer and they said:

Still seems to be nothing in sight.

Have exactly the same problem with Medised, for kids.

I suspect, they have been effectively withdrawn, by wilful inaction, at the MHRA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilPost wrote: »
    Still seems to be nothing in sight.

Have exactly the same problem with Medised, for kids.

I suspect, they have been effectively withdrawn, by wilful inaction, at the MHRA.
    It happened last year and they came back so I live in hope!

I think they went off in c Feb 2012 and came back in May and June 2012.

They've quite popular so I think they'll try to bring them back, if they can.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Received this from the manufacturer:

Please be advised that there is a pause in supply of Syndol Caplets. Reckitt Benckiser, in consultation with the MHRA, has suspended distribution as a precautionary measure due to possible quality issues identified in an inspection. We are working very hard to resolve these issues & to rectify supply as soon as possible but at the moment, we are not able to confirm a definite timing for when this will be resolved.

As soon as we have an update available, we will ensure our consumers are updated promptly
    Forum Member
    Received this from the manufacturer:

Please be advised that there is a pause in supply of Syndol Caplets. Reckitt Benckiser, in consultation with the MHRA, has suspended distribution as a precautionary measure due to possible quality issues identified in an inspection. We are working very hard to resolve these issues & to rectify supply as soon as possible but at the moment, we are not able to confirm a definite timing for when this will be resolved.

As soon as we have an update available, we will ensure our consumers are updated promptly

Keep us updated please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep us updated please.
    Will do!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen this:
    I have just spoken with a representative from Reckitt Benckiser (RB) who currently have the license for Syndol. They have issued an official statement which says that they are not going to renew their license from Sanofi who make syndol.

This might seem a bit confusing but it seems that whilst Sanofi make Syndol, it is Reckitt Benckiser that have marketed and distributed Syndol within the Uk.

What RB are saying is that they are in effect washing their hands of the product and all the manufacturing and distribution will revert to Sanofi.

It does shift the questions to Sanofi but it doesn't indicate the end of production. When i hear more I will of course let you know.
    Kind regards
    Dave
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10151786939687813&id=345280012812
    Forum Member

Sigh, turned out to be weasel words previously from RB in the end....

Hopefully Sanofi will sort it out.

Thx for the update.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigh, turned out to be weasel words previously from RB in the end....

Hopefully Sanofi will sort it out.

Thx for the update.
    No problem!

I ordered some from a company that exports them from South Africa. They're the same but in a round shape (and more expensive).
    http://www.redvines.co.uk/
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    There is a cheaper potential UK alternative in the form of Migraleve tablets (see http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/migraleve-8-pink-4-yellow-tablets_1_12366.html) and the missing caffeine that's found in Syndol can be obtained from a standard cup of ordinary coffee or one 50mg Pro Plus caffeine tablet. The caffeine serves as a pain adjuvant and makes the overall pain relief effect greater.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a cheaper potential UK alternative in the form of Migraleve tablets (see http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/migraleve-8-pink-4-yellow-tablets_1_12366.html) and the missing caffeine that's found in Syndol can be obtained from a standard cup of ordinary coffee or one 50mg Pro Plus caffeine tablet. The caffeine serves as a pain adjuvant and makes the overall pain relief effect greater.
    Thanks, I'll give that a go when I run out. :)
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,591
    Forum Member
    No problem!

I ordered some from a company that exports them from South Africa. They're the same but in a round shape (and more expensive).
    http://www.redvines.co.uk/

wow, did you actually pay sixty quid for them?!

I saw them on Amazon for £40 and thought that was extortionate.

I'm gutted that they've gone for what looks like forever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member

Migraleve is not quite the same as syndol. It lacks the muscle relaxant that was what made syndol so popular. If you're looking for the caffeine to be included then solphadeine plus is the nearest match, although still lacking the muscle relaxant. You can get it unbranded as well which is much cheaper.

I work with all these medications so I know them quite well! Happy to help if anyone needs anything :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wow, did you actually pay sixty quid for them?!

I saw them on Amazon for £40 and thought that was extortionate.

I'm gutted that they've gone for what looks like forever.
    It's for 100.

I don't think they are gone forever. Well, I don't know but they're very popular so I hope not!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Migraleve is not quite the same as syndol. It lacks the muscle relaxant that was what made syndol so popular. If you're looking for the caffeine to be included then solphadeine plus is the nearest match, although still lacking the muscle relaxant. You can get it unbranded as well which is much cheaper.

I work with all these medications so I know them quite well! Happy to help if anyone needs anything :)
    Thanks, alice!

Is there anything you could take for the muscle relaxant part? Like Pro Plus, as suggested above?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member

As far as I can tell, Migraleve, like Syndol, does contain an antihistamine albeit a different one because it uses buclizine hydrochloride in place of doxylamine succinate. The only difference I can see is the lack of caffeine which can easily be rectified.

There do appear to be quite a few options in respect of migraine relief http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/migraine_c_417.html but whether they are effective is another matter entirely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Thanks, alice!

Is there anything you could take for the muscle relaxant part? Like Pro Plus, as suggested above?

There's nothing over the counter unfortunately. Syndol was unique (apart from the Boots own brand) in that aspect. The caffeine allowed the body to absorb the medicine faster so is unlikely to affect the muscles.
    Another way to help to relax muscles is to apply heat to the area. It's less convenient than having a tablet, but it's usually very effective. Combine it with paracetamol and codeine and it should make a big difference.

I'm not sure if there's anything available on prescription to work as a muscle relaxant. I'll try to remember to find out tomorrow!