Options

Combination oven/microwave catching fire :(

sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I put in a small tub of butter to melt and left it to long and it exploded everywhere. I cleaned everything I can see, but its gone into the little holes at the top and when I put the actual oven part on it smokes everywhere and then flames come out of that part.:eek:

Should I just keep turning it on a little at a time to burn the butter off and turn it off before it gets hot enough for flames ?

Or any other ideas on how to do it?

Comments

• Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you got fat/oils inside the machinery so really unless you fancy dismantling the microwave and cleaning it then i'd say its a lost cause and the oils burning will probably cause damage to the circuit boards etc so really its a lost cause unless you wish to take the risk but if you do i'd put some money aside for the day it does just decide to roll over
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plug it in outside and turn it off and on until it burns away the oil. Obviously when its not raining of wet. At your own risk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't even risk it, sorry. I would chuck it and buy a new one, Better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    I wouldn't even risk it, sorry. I would chuck it and buy a new one, Better safe than sorry.
    ^^ Absolutely this. We got rid of our last microwave when it started smoking. If there'd been any flames involved like the OP's scenario, I would have had it out the house pronto. TBH, I'm gobsmacked the question is even being asked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please don't risk it!
  • Options
    Marc_DuckworthMarc_Duckworth Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a short circuit, not the fat burning off. It wont get any better and theres a chance of spontaneous combustion due to surges etc. switch it off immediately and get a new one (I work with microwaves in my job)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not the actual microwave part that is catching fire, its when I put the oven on. its the heating elements of the oven that had the flames, So yes it was the butter starting it but obviously unlike a cooker I cant let it just burn off in one go . That is why I was asking if a bit at a time on a lower heat would burn it off.

Oh well was worth a try. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    Plug it in outside and turn it off and on until it burns away the oil. Obviously when its not raining of wet. At your own risk.

Whatever you do, DO NOT follow this. It's a foolish risk to run. You'll have to chalk it up to experience and buy a new one.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just bin it..cutting the plug off before you dispose of it as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I put the oven on the lowest setting until it smoked then stopped it.
    Did that a few times. Then did the same with the grill bit and now all the fat has burnt off. Now no more smoke.

Microwave bit was OK the whole time as nothing went to that bit. So although you might think I'm nuts I still have something to cook on. It would have been different had I not known what was doing it.. or if it were just a microwave.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I put the oven on the lowest setting until it smoked then stopped it.
    Did that a few times. Then did the same with the grill bit and now all the fat has burnt off. Now no more smoke.

Microwave bit was OK the whole time as nothing went to that bit. So although you might think I'm nuts I still have something to cook on. It would have been different had I not known what was doing it.. or if it were just a microwave.

well if you want it that way just don't leave it unattended and have a fire extinguisher handy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    well if you want it that way just don't leave it unattended and have a fire extinguisher handy

Well as someone who has been cooking for 45 years and got fats and oils on oven walls before and smoked the kitchen out. I knew that fats burn off eventually.
    As I said if it were the microwave part of the oven I would think differently. But it was just the heating elements of the oven and grill bit and they are nowhere near the microwave part.