How does Lorraine Kelly get so much time off work?

Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I see Lorraine Kelly has the school holidays off yet again, even though her daughter must be university age by now. I'm not complaining as the show is far better when anyone but her presents is but how does someone who is such an appalling presenter get such special treatment? I'd feel similar about Philip "Mr ITV" Schofield but when Lorraine has a show named after her and hardly ever presents it, it seems more ridiculous.

Comments

• NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Specially seeing as half term is not until next week. Does that mean she'll be off again then?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not this old chestnut again give it a rest same threads started every end of term, she obviously works term time, she had a deal with her employers, it's nothing to do with you what hours she choses to work. End of
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Specially seeing as half term is not until next week. Does that mean she'll be off again then?

It is half term in some areas this week
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Not this old chestnut again give it a rest same threads started every end of term, she obviously works term time, she had a deal with her employers, it's nothing to do with you what hours she choses to work. End of

I'm sorrry, is it upto you to approve what can be talked about?

I just find it totally baffling how such a bad presenter has managed to get one of the cosiest deals in history. I've known of very few people in front of the camera who have as much time of as her. I was interested to see what others' opinions are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorrry, is it upto you to approve what can be talked about?

I just find it totally baffling how such a bad presenter has managed to get one of the cosiest deals in history. I've known of very few people in front of the camera who have as much time of as her. I was interested to see what others' opinions are.

I work with people who work term time it's not unusual it just baffles me as to why it's anyone's business what hours just she choses to work, would you like her to discuss your hours on her show when she comes back? would you like her to say how what an appalling employee you are because in the end she is just doing a job the same as anyone else, because it is on tv doesn't mean she has to justify her employment contract to you in the same way you don't have to tell her if she asked you. It's just a job like any other.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you have a show named after you and are barely on it, people are going to think it a bit daft.
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you have a show named after you and are barely on it, people are going to think it a bit daft.

She presents Daybreak and Lorraine just as much as Phil & Holly present This Morning and, ironically, more days than Bill & Susanna present BBC Breakfast.

Main presenters of such shows tend to work term time, its how it has always been. But Lorraines show is named after her so its more noticeable. Dont forget, they used to just take Lorraines show off air when she wasn't on and would just have GMTV right through to 9.25am. When Daybreak started (or maybe in the later GMTV days) they started to leave it on and get stand ins.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's hardly 'barely on it' though is it?

Between September and Christmas it'll be one week off.

Susanna Reid is only doing 2 days a week on Breakfast at the moment.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Maybe she does stuff off-camera the rest of the year?
  • Anne_CameronAnne_Cameron Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her daughter is now at University, so she doesn't need school holidays now. Anyway, Scottish holidays and term times are different to those in England.

Come to think of it, where is Bill Turnbull on BBC Breakfast?
  • LucaLuca Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't say anything. They might spot she's not there and cancel her leave.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Chris Evans and Ken Bruce on radio 2 are both missing!.. how come they all have to be off together?... and we have to be subjected to stand-ins across the board!... Companies i have worked for make you stagger the holidays as key people can't all be off together!... :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    And Chris Evans and Ken Bruce on radio 2 are both missing!.. how come they all have to be off together?... and we have to be subjected to stand-ins across the board!... Companies i have worked for make you stagger the holidays as key people can't all be off together!... :(

Exactly. Just be grateful OP. :D
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    mklass wrote: »

Yeah 'key' people, if Chris Evans and Ken Bruce take a holiday at the same time, they have to shut the station down.
    Clearly this isn't a situation where work will pile up in their absence.

There's a good doc on BBC 4, I shouldn't be engaging with this old tut.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive often wondered this. The show gets much better when she isnt there. Id love eammon holmes and ruth langford to do daybreak 6am-9.25am
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her daughter is now at University, so she doesn't need school holidays now. Anyway, Scottish holidays and term times are different to those in England.

Come to think of it, where is Bill Turnbull on BBC Breakfast?

How many times, she (and all the other main presenters) don't have school holidays off because they need them to be with their kids, they have them off because viewers are lower during these times, and peoples patterns are disrupted, therefore if a star presenter is going to have a lot of time off it is best to do it then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    How many times, she (and all the other main presenters) don't have school holidays off because they need them to be with their kids, they have them off because viewers are lower during these times, and peoples patterns are disrupted, therefore if a star presenter is going to have a lot of time off it is best to do it then.

But that begs the question is Kelly a star performer? She certainly isn't very popular on these boards.
  • Kazz_xKazz_x Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »

I am most certainly not a Lorraine fan but the schools where I work in Scotland went back today. There are other around where I live who go back next week. As another poster said, its so different all across country... but I honestly don't mind, let her take lots of holidays... maybe make it permanent.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    But that begs the question is Kelly a star performer? She certainly isn't very popular on these boards.

Yeah and digital spy and it's keyboard warriors represent the public at large:rolleyes:
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    I see Lorraine Kelly has the school holidays off yet again, even though her daughter must be university age by now. I'm not complaining as the show is far better when anyone but her presents is but how does someone who is such an appalling presenter get such special treatment? I'd feel similar about Philip "Mr ITV" Schofield but when Lorraine has a show named after her and hardly ever presents it, it seems more ridiculous.

The more time she has off can only be beneficial to the show,:)
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    It's hardly 'barely on it' though is it?

Between September and Christmas it'll be one week off.

Susanna Reid is only doing 2 days a week on Breakfast at the moment.

Ms Reid is pure hottie, Kelly is nottie.
  • C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a teacher ... so I work term time.

Who is Lorraine Kelly?
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C Horse wrote: »
    Who is Lorraine Kelly?

She is a so called celebrity TV presenter who brown noses every possible celebrity or non-celebrity she can get on to "her" TV programme. She has a habit of saying everything is fantastic, briiliant, excellent, and has this inane giggle that does peoples' heads in.

Sadly, though she goes home for school holidays, she comes back on TV again. And even more sadly, she has columns on two newspapers where she continues her brown nosing with her big friend Ross King, who thinks everyone in the UK needs to know what's happening to every star in Los Angeles when we really don't give a sh*t.
  • best boybest boy Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ms Reid is pure hottie, Kelly is nottie.

Re. Reid, I noticed they interview Alex Ferguson this morning and gave to job to that equine-faced 'sports presenter'. Surely Reid didn't fancy tossing her hair, crossing her legs and acting like a schoolgirl?
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    She is a so called celebrity TV presenter who brown noses every possible celebrity or non-celebrity she can get on to "her" TV programme. She has a habit of saying everything is fantastic, briiliant, excellent, and has this inane giggle that does peoples' heads in.

Sadly, though she goes home for school holidays, she comes back on TV again. And even more sadly, she has columns on two newspapers where she continues her brown nosing with her big friend Ross King, who thinks everyone in the UK needs to know what's happening to every star in Los Angeles when we really don't give a sh*t.

brilliant post. she's got away with it for so long now