Options

Guest bands/singers

alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why?
They are always the weakest performances in the results show.
Always.

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's exceptions with the guest artists included, but tonight Earth Wind & Fire for me, were a shadow of what they were thirty years ago.
    I guess you have to admire the fact that some of the founder members are still the main part of the group, but the voices have long gone.

This situation remind you of anyone?
  • Options
    primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    i think the guest singer should have to sing with the band. that would expose a few pretty dodgy performances. any decent singer could do it. and it would showcase the band a bit more.
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I think the OP would be happier if One Direction had performed tonight given that he thought EW&F were "awful." I will take legends over two bit new 'bands' any day of the week.
  • Options
    CamisCamis Posts: 13,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each to their own - personally I enjoy watching the pros dance to whoever the guest performer is.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the OP would be happier if One Direction had performed tonight given that he thought EW&F were "awful." I will take legends over two bit new 'bands' any day of the week.

I don't care who. I'm not interested in past glories or present popularity, . I just want what I am listening to to be the best possible. EW&F weren't the best possible on the night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think some of the audience and viewers get "caught up in the moment."

Seeing the judges all animatedly swaying in time to the music was just pathetic. I think that was orchestrated by the floor manager, it's "that short of show."

Yes we remembered the tunes, I've them on old LPs and recent mp3s, but the voices were shot and they struggled to reach the high notes, one strangled high note was pathetic, but was greeted with rapturous applause.
    Some of those lauding this woeful performance, might like to find the many original ones on YouTube and compare those of last night to appreciate how "tight" the voices used to be.
    The situation is only as you'd expect after thirty-odd years.
    It was more like a "Disco karaoke night at Elstree."

I'd rather have seen Dave Arch's band and singers, performing a song of their choice, you know, just for a change!
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Why don't they just use that time to put another pro dance in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Sunday it's "Madness."

Actually I think it's "madness" every week to have a guest artists who has little connection with ballroom, who are there more as an attraction for viewers not particularly interested in dance.
    But the show has become progressively more about ratings chasing every year.

Here's a novel idea, as I've said, let the band and singers choose something they like and if you like, have some pros dance to it.

"What are the chances of that happening?"
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (At the risk of annoying anyone from the attic by going on and on and on... I did spy a couple of mariachi players in the Friday Feeling vid. I wonder if the group dance will be a kind of Day of the Dead procession? Anyway, I'm hoping for lots of guitar and brass and those lovely swirling harmonies)
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Why?
    They are always the weakest performances in the results show.
    Always.

:( Usually true but

Aloe Blacc was fantastic
    Caro Emerald was too
    And Dionne Warwick moved me, despite her decline
  • Options
    FairyFellerFairyFeller Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Anybody know who's on tonight/'tomorrow'?
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Anybody know who's on tonight/'tomorrow'?

Madness
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've dragged this back, as I really wish they'd choose guest artists this year who play/sing music which is actually suitable for ballroom dancing. I get rather tired of all these pop performers, who just use the show to promote their own type of music, chosen to appeal to an X-Factor type audience, in a pathetic attempt to increase the ratings..

Here's an example of some young performers (part of a much larger jazz orchestra) much appreciated in Spain who have no problem engaging an audience of any age. But I can't see them ever being invited. I guess the restrained applause they received from a more discerning audience, wouldn't suit the ratings obsessed producers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhpCXXV7ggQ
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really think some of the audience and viewers get "caught up in the moment."

Seeing the judges all animatedly swaying in time to the music was just pathetic. I think that was orchestrated by the floor manager, it's "that short of show."

Yes we remembered the tunes, I've them on old LPs and recent mp3s, but the voices were shot and they struggled to reach the high notes, one strangled high note was pathetic, but was greeted with rapturous applause.
    Some of those lauding this woeful performance, might like to find the many original ones on YouTube and compare those of last night to appreciate how "tight" the voices used to be.
    The situation is only as you'd expect after thirty-odd years.
    It was more like a "Disco karaoke night at Elstree."

I'd rather have seen Dave Arch's band and singers, performing a song of their choice, you know, just for a change!

absolutely agree! lets get the amazing band and singers out from under the stage and put them centre stage for once!
  • Options
    VintageWhineVintageWhine Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    absolutely agree! lets get the amazing band and singers out from under the stage and put them centre stage for once!

Words right out of mouth - DITTO!

Do realise, though, that there's usually a new record release associated with the guest artists - so they get them cheap.
  • Options
    mad_madge_morrimad_madge_morri Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't mind who they have: If they are good I listen to them, if they aren't it is a chance to go to the loo/put the kettle on/let the dogs out into the garden. What really irritates me, is when the 2 dancers come on half way through the performance, all those women in the audience screaming and hollering. Have they never seen a lift before?