Man United Supporters Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can check out Pogba's goal he just scored against Napoli :0 brilliant strike and Pirlos freekick wasn't half bad either.
  • Conor McHaleConor McHale Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    I think it was him trying out something new and then he had to stick to it to put up with Glen Johnson's injuries. Johnson is our best right back (and our best left back) and we don't have good enough cover for him so I think Brendan tries to minimise the damage done by Johnson's absense.

Johnson, Mignolet and Lucas are our three hardest-to-replace players I think. Even Gerrard can be covered now and we've shown we can cope without Suárez. But Johnson is the one that we definitely can't do without.

I had forgotten about Johnson being injured actually, so I take that bit back. Martin Kelly seems alright cover for Johnson at right back but I'm not completely convinced by either Enrique or Cissokho at left back.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll completely depend upon who's available.

If we're still in the Champions League, then it'll narrow our options, in theory.

I honestly don't think that money will be an issue. I'm convinced that it's there to spend.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 or 3 sales, either.

I too think that there is money to be spent, there was last summer, but we just had a massive cock-up.

The top four is still hugely up for grabs, and so s the title, and January could be a key month, which goes a long way in seeing who makes it, and who doesn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    If you can check out Pogba's goal he just scored against Napoli :0 brilliant strike and Pirlos freekick wasn't half bad either.

Pirlo in very good free-kick shock!

Brings back memories of when we had a couple of handy free-kick takers ourselves!
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    I had forgotten about Johnson being injured actually, so I take that bit back. Martin Kelly seems alright cover for Johnson at right back but I'm not completely convinced by either Enrique or Cissokho at left back.

Martin Kelly's our best cover at right back but he's also always injured. Andre Wisdom's good at defensive work but he's clearly a centre back. Kelly's a centre back too but I think he's better at RB than Wisdom. Last season I think we even had Johnson at LB while Enrique was fit and we just stuck Wisdom or Carragher or whoever else at RB.

Last season we'd play Stewart Downing at LB. This season we've played Raheem Sterling and Hendo at RWB. None of those are suited to those positions. With Henderson he's just played where there's a hole (kind of like how Gerrard used to be). Luckily we have Toure to cover Glen Johnson now but still it's clear that he's a centre back.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In the whole history of the Premier League, has there been two less inspiring substitutions than Giggs and Bendtner?

My brother said this at the time. We were doubled over laughing at the ineptitude of both at the same time :D
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »

Old habits die hard eh?! :D
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pah!! He'll probably end up moving in the next year or too.

Trouble is,whoever buys him is stuck with his agent too,a 2 for 1 offer you'd rather refuse.

Probably end up an expensive journey man winning a few trophies along the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering, after seeing both Ronaldo and Pirlo score fantastic free-kick's, just who would people prefer standing over one?

I think that I would favour Pirlo, but it is a very close call indeed.
  • Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why everyone raved about Arsenal before this game. They will fade away like in previous years there not a threat to us.

Great first half performance however the second half was awful. We set up too negatively invited the pressure onto us Moyes still needs to learn you can't play like he did at Everton.
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    I'd love to know what Moyes has said to Rooney because he's looking well on it this season compared to the last couple.

Wayne Rooney scored 34 goals two seasons ago. And another 30 plus goals four seasons ago. He was off his game last year, but how some people could write him off as surplus to the cause before the start of this season I'll never know... (yes, I know what's coming :D)

Great result today. I particulary like the dogged way we ground out the result. Arsenal seemed to be fighting back before I had to stop watching but it seems they were still toothless.

Can we win it...? Well, no-one else seems to want to.... ;)
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pah!! He'll probably end up moving in the next year or too.

Trouble is,whoever buys him is stuck with his agent too,a 2 for 1 offer you'd rather refuse.

Probably end up an expensive journey man winning a few trophies along the way.

We have every right to be angry at Pogba, and there are clearly loyalty issues there, but from a footballing point of view the boy's a delight to watch.

Talking of ex-players, just how much better can Ronnie get? 23 hattricks for Real now. Off the top of my head, I'd say that's at least twenty more than Ryan Giggs has managed in his whole career!
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it didn't take long for the United thread to turn back into the soap opera again :/

People moan about "inane drivel" being posted, obviously referring to batdude; said moaning is IMO even worse to read and so the cycle continues.

Good win for Utd. I thought we could win the league before the match and I'm even more confident now. Tough game away at Cardiff after the international break though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have every right to be angry at Pogba, and there are clearly loyalty issues there, but from a footballing point of view the boy's a delight to watch.

Talking of ex-players, just how much better can Ronnie get? 23 hattricks for Real now. Off the top of my head, I'd say that's at least twenty more than Ryan Giggs has managed in his whole career!

Ronaldo is just playing, I would say unbelievably well, but then I lived through Messi's 70 goal season, (and that just puts everything else into perspective), so I will say extraordinary.

I think that in the year 2013, he fully deserves the Ballon D'or, his achievements are outstanding!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    We don't know if Sanogo is any good or not as he's been injured more or less since he came. Bendtners contract is up in the summer although hopefully someone will be stupid enough to take him in January. I'd love Benzema but I wonder if he'd leave Real to come to us? Then again Ozil did.

I think Kagawa will leave you lot in January, he looks completely lost which is a shame as I think he's a great player. Jones was immense in midfield in the 1st half, we improved once he went back to defence.

I agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Jones with that performance, made midfield his position hoping forward, and relegated Fellaini to a subs role?

Or will we see more of him at centre-back?

I thought that he was top notch today in the centre of the park.

It is certainly something for Moyes to think about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wayne Rooney scored 34 goals two seasons ago. And another 30 plus goals four seasons ago. He was off his game last year, but how some people could write him off as surplus to the cause before the start of this season I'll never know... (yes, I know what's coming :D)

Great result today. I particulary like the dogged way we ground out the result. Arsenal seemed to be fighting back before I had to stop watching but it seems they were still toothless.

Can we win it...? Well, no-one else seems to want to.... ;)

I was worried we would concede in the last few minutes (and we nearly did, had Bendtner got a touch on the cross) like we did against Southampton. I think a draw would have been acceptable for both sides but for Utd, the inability to grind out a win being apparent again, the two dropped points and the gap being unchanged might have dealt a big psychological blow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Jones with that performance, made midfield his position hoping forward, and relegated Fellaini to a subs role?

Agreed, looks a beast of a player.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was worried we would concede in the last few minutes (and we nearly did, had Bendtner got a touch on the cross) like we did against Southampton. I think a draw would have been acceptable for both sides but for Utd, the inability to grind out a win being apparent again, the two dropped points and the gap being unchanged might have dealt a big psychological blow.

Nearly conceeding with the word Bendtner in the same sentence?! :eek::eek:
    Nah, no worries there, he is as much of a threat in that area as Macheda is!
    They had about two dangerous crossed the whole game, which we just about got away with, other than that, we coped with what they tried to do very well indeed.

A draw would not have been acceptable for us, why would you think it would have been?? :confused::confused:

We needed the win today, and we got it, it closed the gap on the sides above us, and made sure that we moved away from where we were previously.
    Anything other than the win that we got, would just not have helped us in any way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    Agreed, looks a beast of a player.

I wouldn't go into Sir Bobby's levels of hype just yet (he said that he was just like Duncan), but he was just a beast out there today, be it in centre-midfield or at centre-back, he played very well indeed today.

I look forward to a very happy future with him around. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly conceeding with the word Bendtner in the same sentence?! :eek::eek:
    Nah, no worries there, he is as much of a threat in that area as Macheda is!
    They had about two dangerous crossed the whole game, which we just about got away with, other than that, we coped with what they tried to do very well indeed.

A draw would not have been acceptable for us, why would you think it would have been?? :confused::confused:

We needed the win today, and we got it, it closed the gap on the sides above us, and made sure that we moved away from where we were previously.
    Anything other than the win that we got, would just not have helped us in any way.

The general consensus I felt was that a draw would have been acceptable. Not ideal (obviously winning every single game is ideal) but in the context of Arsenal's form and our relative lack of over the entire course of the season, I think a draw would have been acceptable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Evans and Vidic seemed OK together (although they didn't have much to do at all in the first half), so I wouldn't be against the idea of keeping the partnership and Jones in midfield. However, if Jones is going to feature in the first choice centre back partnership of the future (once Rio and Vidic are finally unseated), then we do need to give him more games there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Huuuuuuuuugggggggeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! WWWWIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!! Looooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvviiiinnnngggiiiiiittttttt!!!!!!!!!!! llllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!
    :D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huuuuuuuuugggggggeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! WWWWIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!! Looooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvviiiinnnngggiiiiiittttttt!!!!!!!!!!! llllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!
    :D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p

You been on the Cider again Lucidia :D
This discussion has been closed.