Options

New study finds that individuals with Asperger’s Syndrome don’t lack empathy – in fac

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    I always though 'mind blindness' and difficulty with emotions was the defining part of autism. What is then?

My comment was more concerned with the misunderstanding of Tourettes which is very common.

Truth is, nobody knows what is 'is' with Aspergers. Learning and understanding the condition is an ongoing process. The issue being emotion makes it incredibly difficult to determine, because how do we describe emotion? How do we read whether someone feels something and to what extent?
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't complaining about someone with autism being 'self centred' a bit like complaining that someone with Tourett's is foul mouthed?

Was that to me about what I am saying about my brother?..
    I'm just disputing what the links says in view of my own experience. others will think differently. :)
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    My comment was more concerned with the misunderstanding of Tourettes which is very common.

Truth is, nobody knows what is 'is' with Aspergers. Learning and understanding the condition is an ongoing process. The issue being emotion makes it incredibly difficult to determine, because how do we describe emotion? How do we read whether someone feels something and to what extent?

It must be difficult getting a diagnosis.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must be difficult getting a diagnosis.:(

It's incredibly difficult, because we're dealing with parts of the human psyche that simply cannot be measured. How can we measure empathy and how do we determine if it's directed in the right or wrong place? First you have to ascertain what's 'normal' and being as we're all so very different, it's nigh on impossible.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    It's the nature of spectrum disorders isn't it...it varies between individuals.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    New study finds that individuals with Asperger’s Syndrome don’t lack empathy – in fact if anything they empathize too much

http://seventhvoice.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/new-study-finds-that-individuals-with-aspergers-syndrome-dont-lack-empathy-in-fact-if-anything-they-empathize-too-much/

I personally feel this is rubbish from my own experience with my brother and my nephew.

My own brother tells me he feels absolutely nothing when we lost a few close family members, his only regret is that he has less people to visit as time goes on. Not that he misses them but has no where to go :confused:

I know my experience is not everyone's but what do others think?

There is sensory overload. But I'm not sure there is empathy overload.

But then it depends how someone's Asperger's affects them.
  • Options
    CigaretteSmokerCigaretteSmoker Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    I've always wondered if Asperger's manifests itself differently in different societies.

As far as I understand, in a nutshell Asperger's sufferers typically are socially awkward and have a poor understanding of facial expressions and other basic forms of socializing.

However, in countries such as Japan, cultural norms are very different to Western countries, and typically the high levels of confidence and bravado that are considered positive characteristics in countries like the UK are thought of as negative characteristics in Japan.

As a result, many Japanese people are by British and Western standards socially awkward, because their society typically encourages this behaviour as being more acceptable than swaggering confidence.

Logically speaking, does this imply that a Japanese person with Asperger's Syndrome would fit into society better than a British person with Asperger's Syndrome?
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've always wondered if Asperger's manifests itself differently in different societies.

As far as I understand, in a nutshell Asperger's sufferers typically are socially awkward and have a poor understanding of facial expressions and other basic forms of socializing.

However, in countries such as Japan, cultural norms are very different to Western countries, and typically the high levels of confidence and bravado that are considered positive characteristics in countries like the UK are thought of as negative characteristics in Japan.

As a result, many Japanese people are by British and Western standards socially awkward, because their society typically encourages this behaviour as being more acceptable than swaggering confidence.

Logically speaking, does this imply that a Japanese person with Asperger's Syndrome would fit into society better than a British person with Asperger's Syndrome?

I've always thought that a British person with Asperger's is more likely to fit into Japanese society, than into British society.

And a Japanese person with Asperger's would have difficultly fitting into British society but only in as much as a British person with Asperger's would have.