Options

The Sound of Musicals - C4 Tonight at 9pm and next 3 Tuesdays

1235»

Comments

• Options
    La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no doubt the guy from Burnley was a very talented singer with a great voice. But it happens alot in castings/auditions that you just may not be right for the part, inspite of your talent. They are looking for somebody else.

This was a really great series, but all too brief. I hope we get a follow up series, not enough about Theatre on TV. :cool:
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    Interesting episode last night, especially on the finances of running a show - was costing £250,000 a week to keep TOP HAT going!

Decisions to keep the show going would keep people in work but could cost the producers an arm and a leg if their ticket sales income fell below the break even.

And then they all find out it's closing through the rumour mill / the media.

A ruthless business with the guy testing for Thriller, especially the bit with the photography where they replaced him. Was that a spontaneous decision by the marketing manager or a decision made beforehand?
    But with 18 shows opening last year - and 17 closing, it has to be ruthless.

Amazed by the costs too, with Top Hat, and it not having a home any more.
  • Options
    MajorkeyMajorkey Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    No, you`re in a significant MAJORITY. As a lifelong Abba fan I am totally clueless as to who the audience for this shit is. True fans will hate the badly sung karaoke versions of classic songs and those who have no interest in the band other than frugging along to Dancing Queen at the local golf club disco are hardly likely to stump up good money to see this. So who the **** is filling the theatres night after night and buying that godawful film version?

I don't know the pro/con percentages (I hope there are more cons like us but the cameras can only focus on the people in the queues outside) but I'd like to shake your hand for this. As a musician I have a problem with the jukebox musical concept in general since they invariably string unrelated 3 minute pop songs together with desperately thin slivers of plot (?) between. It's akin to gluing random bits of a jigsaw puzzle together, putting a frame around the ragged mess and declaring it the finished article. Making matters worse, the writers rely almost exclusively on song titles (not lyrics) as plot mileposts, making the connections even more tenuous. Whatever link they've concocted between Fat Bottomed Girls, One Vision and We Will Rock You (the song) I just don't want to know.

If I shell out 50-100 quid to attend the theatre my work is done and I expect to let others do the work of entertaining. I certainly don't want to hear a stranger next to me singing off-key and elbowing me with her spontaneous choreography.

I suppose the final irony is that plenty of acts have attempted narratives involving songs with an actual link in the form of rock operas or concept albums. For every rare success like The Who's Tommy or Pink Floyd's The Wall, there are dozens of spectacular failures, most of which quickly wind up on 'worst albums ever' lists due to pretentious rock/pop stars getting ideas above their station.
  • Options
    MajorkeyMajorkey Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    I got a right old laugh out of the choreographer who said 'These are cliche moves so we have to sell them as cliche moves'!

1) That's a clever (but not really) way of admitting you have no new ideas to bring to the table.

2) The audience isn't half as subtle as you think, especially for a musical.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    I see that the musical which kicked Top Hat out is being pulled after four months.

Oh dear. Lloyd Webber flops again after kicking out an award winning show.

At least folk around the country have had the chance to see the touring production of Top Hat.