Why do (some) Christians not have a sense of humour?

muntamunta Posts: 18,285
Forum Member
✭✭
It seems that the most complained thing in 2013 (to date) was Rowan Atkinson on Comic Relief, playing the Arch Bishop, and saying that praying doesn't work.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25413389

And some Christians think that is offensive? Really? No, what is offensive is people in poverty going cold and hungry. Or children being forced to work in order to feed themselves and their brothers and sisters. Or people becoming refugees from one of the many wars going on in the world.

These offensive things are exactly what Comic Relief hope to raise money for and yet some Christians find it more important that their own feelings should not be hurt from a joke.

These people seriously need to rethink their priorities and ideally crawl back under the rock they came from.

Comments

• SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Some people from every section of society have no sense of humour and/or are easily offended. It's not just Christians.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why.Apparently saying 'christ on a bike' doesn't go down too well either.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    I'm not sure why.Apparently saying 'christ on a bike' doesn't go down too well either.

Mohammed on a Moped sounds better.

PBUH etc
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If jokes are made about all religions I don't have a problem what seems to happen though is just one religion is targeted these days. I have a sense of humour about my religion when the joke is kind and funny. I am very able to laugh at myself but when the joke is cruel or nasty or would never be made about any other religion I get uncomfortable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    It seems that the most complained thing in 2013 (to date) was Rowan Atkinson on Comic Relief, playing the Arch Bishop, and saying that praying doesn't work.

And some Christians think that is offensive? Really? No, what is offensive is people in poverty going cold and hungry. Or children being forced to work in order to feed themselves and their brothers and sisters. Or people becoming refugees from one of the many wars going on in the world.

These offensive things are exactly what Comic Relief hope to raise money for and yet some Christians find it more important that their own feelings should not be hurt from a joke.

These people seriously need to rethink their priorities and ideally crawl back under the rock they came from.

why couldn't Rowan have just done that really funny stuff where he pretends to be mentally disabled?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now I might be a strange Christian but I don't have a problem with that one. I do a have problem when it accompanied by foul mouthed swearing however and that tends sadly to be what happens.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people from every section of society have no sense of humour and/or are easily offended. It's not just Christians.
    Yes, I agree. It's probably in this case not so much a lack of humour but a sense of entitlement to respect with those individuals. That they think their specific sensibilities should not be subject to mockery.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I am not a Christian. But, I have met many Christians who enjoyed jokes and would even tell jokes about their own religion. I even found a Christian forum once that had a section for 'Christian jokes'.

Personally I do not believe that Christians as a group typically lack humour.
  • _kitty_kitty Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    bugloss wrote: »
    why couldn't Rowan have just done that really funny stuff where he pretends to be mentally disabled?

Careful, I find that offensive
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed about the lack of humour. Atheists also seem to lack humour when it comes to debating religion, I've noticed.

just going back to Rowan Atkinson, I wonder if he'd consider doing an Islamic version of prayer not working, and whether he'd get any complaints of offensiveness about that ? Just a though
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of groups contain individuals who are offended when their basic principles are mocked.
    Is that surprising?
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    Plenty of groups contain individuals who are offended when their basic principles are mocked.
    Is that surprising?
    It's not surprising at all. We wouldn't be able to say anything if we tried to not offend anyone! Life would be incredibly dull.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Agreed about the lack of humour. Atheists also seem to lack humour when it comes to debating religion, I've noticed.

just going back to Rowan Atkinson, I wonder if he'd consider doing an Islamic version of prayer not working, and whether he'd get any complaints of offensiveness about that ? Just a thought.
    As do the people who criticise atheists for discussing religion and non-believers for discussing the paranormal.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

I dunno - quite enjoy Life of Brian but then that is a satire on organised religion rather than beliefs (as such)
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would find it offensive but I don't think it is something worth complaining about. Despite his religious satire Rowan Atkinson is actually one of my favourite comedians. I love some of his 80's sketches. For anyone who is offended by his jokes there are people who will find it funny. Such is the variety of life.

As for Sense of humour... well it's like I said, not everyone has the same sense of humour. This goes for Christians and Secular alike.

Taking the Lords name in vein. Why should a Christian be offended by that? ;)
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    As do the people who criticise atheists for discussing religion and non-believers when discussing the paranormal.

Yes, this is more common in fact.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _kitty wrote: »
    It's not surprising at all. We wouldn't be able to say anything if we tried to not offend anyone! Life would be incredibly dull.

So where should we draw the line? When we start actively trying to offend people?
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We'll shiver me timbers , there was me thinking that some people were lacking in the giggles department but noooo. Apparently it's just "Christians".

Ya live n learn.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

just going back to Rowan Atkinson, I wonder if he'd consider doing an Islamic version of prayer not working, and whether he'd get any complaints of offensiveness about that ? Just a though

I would think that being raised an Anglican he has a right to make jokes about Anglicans. Just like Omid Djalili makes jokes about Muslims. Each making jokes about the others (historical) religion though may be a bit off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, this is more common in fact.
    I wouldn't say that but I would say there is some effort a few religious people and those who claim to be neutral (yet tend to support the religious) to prevent or disrupt discussion by complaining about those discussions and criticising people who participate with sarky asides etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one was mocking or being offensive.

I find this post mocking and offensive.

Well I found the title mocking so I didn't join in the thread I have no idea who decided it was so mocking and offensive to be closed but I would guess something went on within the thread to upset someone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would think that being raised an Anglican he has a right to make jokes about Anglicans. Just like Omid Djalili makes jokes about Muslims. Each making jokes about the others (historical) religion though may be a bit off.
    It's the usual 'Christians are being discriminated against by cowards who wouldn't dare take on Islam' stuff.

Despite the fact that Islam and Muslims are criticised all the time.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As do the people who criticise atheists for discussing religion and non-believers for discussing the paranormal.

I wouldn't know. Can't stand those interminably long and tedious atheist/religious believer threads.

Agreed about the paranormal sceptic contributors though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the usual 'Christians are being discriminated against by cowards who wouldn't dare take on Islam' stuff.

it's perfectly fine to make jokes about Muslims. Once
    Forum Member
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    So where should we draw the line? When we start actively trying to offend people?
    Yep, maybe but we shouldn't censor people's opinions.