Options

so falling over is not a fault

redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
Forum Member
✭✭
I really like Suzanne as a skater, but surely if you fall over, then that's it. As in if they were in a competition other than this, they would forfeit points.

It just doesn't seem fair on the other skaters who performed without errors

Comments

• Options
    *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,152
    Forum Member
    Not on DOI. I will never forget Jason voting for Kerry Katona when she didn't do the required basic element. :mad:
  • Options
    TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it seems in DOI if your a judges favourite then it's one rule and you can get away with what you like make mistakes etc and not be penalised, if unfortunately you are not one of their favourites then every single mistake will be picked up on and scrutinised and held against you.

Always been the way of it and always found it unfair.
  • Options
    willowswillows Posts: 6,169
    Forum Member
    depends on the celeb ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She would have been marked down a full point (4 points in total) if the judges were scoring her tonight, which might have lost her about 2 to 3 places down the leaderboard, placing her only above Gareth, but might still have been saved by a large public vote.
  • Options
    DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what you mean? She wasn't in the skate off, the judges didn't decide. The public voted her through and quite rightly as even with the fall she was spectacular.

The right result. I'd have preferred Bonnie to stay over Sam but he did nail that skate off
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redcherry wrote: »
    I really like Suzanne as a skater, but surely if you fall over, then that's it. As in if they were in a competition other than this, they would forfeit points.

The judges didn't score the routine with the fall in it, only the public got to vote on that one.

Even with deductions for a fall, she was still better than the others.
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member

She wasn't scored on that routine, so your thread is a total fail. Good job.
  • Options
    redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    She wasn't scored on that routine, so your thread is a total fail. Good job.

Thanks. Keep up the good work. As I said, in all other competitions she would have lost points due to the fall. I realise the public vote saved her (and I'm glad tbh) but I just feel for the other skaters who performed well on the night without errors.
  • Options
    DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Keep up the good work. As I said, in all other competitions she would have lost points due to the fall. I realise the public vote saved her (and I'm glad tbh) but I just feel for the other skaters who performed well on the night without errors.

A fall doesn't invalidate a performance. She was still amazing and better than Beth and Sam and probably even Bonnie.

It is a fault but she was still brilliant and I suspect many think the same
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member

If you are doing a routine that scores 10. if done properly. and lose a point for a fall. you still get 9. That always beats a routine thats only got an 8 worth of content in it. In real skating you would lose the mark available for that part of the routine - which is why people with a fall win medals too. If you start with a routine thats worth 110 in the judges handbook, and fail on the 10 you still get 100. Thats not at all unusual - in the real world you don't come top of any exam by doing the simpler questions flawlessly, or get nothing for making a small error in the hard ones.

Thats the way it has to be - or people could win by not doing much, as everyone doing difficult things had one small fall, or the best could lose because the ice was rough, or in this case, because their partner's hands were too sticky.
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member

I remember, as a child, staying up to watch Robin Cousins win Olympic gold. He made an obvious mistake in his routine - I don't think he fell over but he certainly didn't complete a move - but he still had done enough to win. The skaters who take risks to make routines thrilling are often awarded more than those who play it safe, even if mistakes are made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    She would have been marked down a full point (4 points in total) if the judges were scoring her tonight, which might have lost her about 2 to 3 places down the leaderboard, placing her only above Gareth, but might still have been saved by a large public vote.

if she had lost 4 marks she would still have beaten Beth by 4 or 5, and Bonnie by a few marks on their normal marking scales. That was probably the most difficult routine seen so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MarellaK wrote: »
    I remember, as a child, staying up to watch Robin Cousins win Olympic gold. He made an obvious mistake in his routine - I don't think he fell over but he certainly didn't complete a move - but he still had done enough to win. The skaters who take risks to make routines thrilling are often awarded more than those who play it safe, even if mistakes are made.

You can watch the marks add up these days on some coverage. Marks are added for difficulty as moves are skated, and the judges then adjust them depending on whether the move was properly completed. Its an incentive for people to do more, more difficult, things and get 100 out of 110 rather than 80 out of 80.
  • Options
    Three Left FeetThree Left Feet Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If memory serves, the mens' figure skating in the 2010 OGs served up a bit of a controversy. The guy who won skated a flawless free programme, but didn't try any quad jumps. The guy who came second did a quad but made sufficiently many mistakes to drag him down. I think the rules have changed now to give a much bigger reward for landing a quad, even if slightly imperfectly, to force all contenders into putting quads in their routine to be in with a chance of winning.