Impact Wrestling on Spike TV

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    Raw started to beat Nitro for a number of reasons. Not just long talking segments.

But when you watch it now you can clearly see Nitro was the better show.

Used to love it when they overran and continued the action unlike wwe.
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    seibu wrote: »
    Yeah I liked that they acknowledged that the characters on the show actually watch the show. I thought for a horrible moment they were going to pretend otherwise!

With respect to COPS, does it have higher ratings than TNA then? Also, hasn't that been the show on before TNA on Spike for ages?

Yeah, it does have higher ratings I believe. I think they're new/er episodes.

Supposedly during the Glasgow tapings, they showed the footage of the security camera to the arena and Christy Hemme was at ring side getting ready to announce the next match.
    But when you watch it now you can clearly see Nitro was the better show.

Used to love it when they overran and continued the action unlike wwe.

It depends on what era of Nitro you're talking about. Nitro had some great shows but it also had some rubbish. Especially when it largely became the beat down and spray paint show every week.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do they allow Angle to compete in the ring when he has a severe problem in his arm and fingers.

No one expects him to sign another contract when his current one ends in August, even though he likely wouldn't pass a WWE medical, and it's unclear if WWE would want him*. I would guess there will be controversy over him doing Lockdown, presumably TNA will want him to lose cleanly which he may not want to do.

He really shouldn't be wrestling.

* Bryan Alvarez wrote this in 2006 when he left WWE the first time-
    World Wrestling Entertainment fired Kurt Angle because he had drug issues. I don’t think some people understand the gravity of that statement. This was not WWE seeing that Angle was in pretty bad shape and refusing go to rehab. This was a situation where he was not going to handle the problems and they were afraid that he was going to die, perhaps very soon, under their watch. As I wrote several weeks back when he was first fired, a number of people in WWE stated the exact same thing, that he was the worst anyone had ever seen, worse than Shawn Michaels at his peak and worse than Brian Pillman (who died due to his issues). Angle’s behavior in the final weeks prior to his firing was said to be incredibly worrisome, from dozens and dozens of text messages sent to creative every day to major paranoia to massive mood swings backstage. WWE at one point had to hire handlers to get him to buildings since he was unable to do so on his own. There were people who looked the other way for awhile since as bad as he was outside the ring he was fine once the bell rang. But then, during an ECW show, he dropped RVD on his head and nearly hurt him seriously. There were times when he had to be taken through airports in a wheelchair. And two separate WWE sources stated very explicitly that their belief was that he had serious mental health issues. Everything finally came to a head in that Friday afternoon meeting four weeks ago, and WWE fired him
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    No one expects him to sign another contract when his current one ends in August, even though he likely wouldn't pass a WWE medical, and it's unclear if WWE would want him*. I would guess there will be controversy over him doing Lockdown, presumably TNA will want him to lose cleanly which he may not want to do.

He really shouldn't be wrestling.

* Bryan Alvarez wrote this in 2006 when he left WWE the first time-

And yet he's wrestled for 8 years in TNA with no such problems. Odd...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »

Assuming you don't count being arrested 5 times for driving under the influence a problem. :p
    Forum Member
    Considering what happened with Eddie Guerrero, it's understandable WWE were very reluctant to have any guy on the roster who they thought had a chance of dying on the roster.

Yes, he's still wrestling now, but he's banged up badly. By his own accounts, he has a numbness in left hand. The fact that he's wrestling in TNA under a lighter schedule has helped his longevity.
  • CylinderCylinder Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the PPV they are showing tonight on Challenge 10pm?
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lol so true

crazy how many people live and die by what dirtsheet writers say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cylinder wrote: »
    What is the PPV they are showing tonight on Challenge 10pm?

One Night Only: Old School.

Full of 'Classic' matches
  • CylinderCylinder Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks , I've just looked it up.
    It's not one of the UK recordings.

One Night Only: #OldSchool PPV
    Recorded 30th December 2013, in Poughkeepsie, NY

It was show on US TV last Friday night.
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    lol so true

It's not oh look the dirtsheet writers were wrong. That's what people in WWE felt at the time. They reported WWE's viewpoint at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not oh look the dirtsheet writers were wrong. That's what people in WWE felt at the time. They reported WWE's viewpoint at the time.

but hes done fine as he not? still putting on good matches. he has reduced schedule in TNA

maybe he will retire when TNA go bankrupt? that should be imminent according to wade keller and meltzer.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why do they bother with these #onenightonlyppvs? .. They seem totally pointless 2 me! :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cylinder wrote: »
    Thanks , I've just looked it up.
    It's not one of the UK recordings.

One Night Only: #OldSchool PPV
    Recorded 30th December 2013, in Poughkeepsie, NY

It was show on US TV last Friday night.

I'm sure they announced that the Wembley tapings would be the last week of Feb and first week of March. Not sure about any of the other dates though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most interesting thing about Angle is whether he really will be willing to job cleanly to an NXT reject in what maybe his last match.

I guess he might call in sick that day. ;-)
    Forum Member
    but hes done fine as he not? still putting on good matches. he has reduced schedule in TNA

maybe he will retire when TNA go bankrupt? that should be imminent according to wade keller and meltzer.

Ehh? So you're back trolling again are you?

WWE wanted Angle gone as they were scared he would die under contract to them. Several newsletters reported it. The fact that he hasnt died still doesnt change the fact that WWE felt that way about Angles state at that period of time.

Currently, Angle is not fine. He's physically knackered but he's a crazy driven former amateur wrestler who doesn't usually want to show weakness. The fact that he admitted recently in a UK interview to having a numbness in his left hand suggests he's crazy as most people would walk away from wrestling if your causing yourself permanent damage.

TNA aren't in great shape financially. Thus hence all the various cuts and downsizing and would have folded years ago if it weren't for panda energy's money.

But we've been through this 4 billion times.

Anyway about your trolling....
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying the 'old school' One Night Only PPV so far. Nothing too demanding but good fun.
    Bad Influence are such superb entertainers - and I loved their move dropping Velvet onto Tapa.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Enjoying the 'old school' One Night Only PPV so far. Nothing too demanding but good fun.
    Bad Influence are such superb entertainers - and I loved their move dropping Velvet onto Tapa.

Yep! ... It was great viewing ... Abyss vs Hardy was fantastic! ;-)

(But I don't understand why they have #onenightonlyppvs cause they've not storyline orientated!) :confused:
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Yep! ... It was great viewing ... Abyss vs Hardy was fantastic! ;-)

(But I don't understand why they have #onenightonlyppvs cause they've not storyline orientated!) :confused:

January's was you could have fitted it right in between the previous impact and the first week of the Genesis impacts.

Love the use of tacks in Monsters ball matches so wince inducing heh.
  • seibuseibu Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    January's was you could have fitted it right in between the previous impact and the first week of the Genesis impacts.

Yeah, I don't like ONOs to be honest. For me, I love PPVs outside the Impact Zone and I love storyline PPVs. So if you're going to film a PPV outside the Impact Zone, please make it a storyline one! It doesn't have to be live necessarily.

Apparently Sacrifice is being restored as a live storyline PPV this year (in the Impact Zone, sadly), so hopefully they're moving towards having more storyline PPVs again and less ONOs.

Ideally I'd like to see the back of the Impact Zone entirely. If that's not possible, I can tolerate some Impacts in the IZ, but I really don't like PPVs from there. They don't seem special enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ehh? So you're back trolling again are you?

WWE wanted Angle gone as they were scared he would die under contract to them. Several newsletters reported it. The fact that he hasnt died still doesnt change the fact that WWE felt that way about Angles state at that period of time.

Currently, Angle is not fine. He's physically knackered but he's a crazy driven former amateur wrestler who doesn't usually want to show weakness. The fact that he admitted recently in a UK interview to having a numbness in his left hand suggests he's crazy as most people would walk away from wrestling if your causing yourself permanent damage.

TNA aren't in great shape financially. Thus hence all the various cuts and downsizing and would have folded years ago if it weren't for panda energy's money.

But we've been through this 4 billion times.

Anyway about your trolling....

throwing the T word out because you go along with dirt sheet writers who continue to be proven wrong...poor.

as for this impact, pretty boring. stupid final segment.

only positives were mosntors ball and mvp brilliant promo.
    Forum Member
    throwing the T word out because you go along with dirt sheet writers who continue to be proven wrong...poor.

as for this impact, pretty boring. stupid final segment.

only positives were mosntors ball and mvp brilliant promo.

Read what I posted again. Its not difficult to understand. Thus hence it would appear you're trolling. Unless.....
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read what I posted again. Its not difficult to understand. Thus hence it would appear you're trolling. Unless.....

He's not trolling. Nobody is suggesting Angle isn't banged up - what they are saying is that the Kurt Angle who has wrestled in TNA for nearly a decade does not square with the WWE Kurt Angle who supposedly was so close to death he needed a babysitter.

It is perfectly plausible that TNA's reduced schedule and less political/pressurised environment was all Angle needed to get back on the right track.

You also ignored whedon's other point that TNA has apparently been in dire financial straits for the best part of 10 years, and were seconds away from being sold a few months ago, if the dirtsheet writers were to be believed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks ags, as always put it better than i could.
    Forum Member
    He's not trolling. Nobody is suggesting Angle isn't banged up - what they are saying is that the Kurt Angle who has wrestled in TNA for nearly a decade does not square with the WWE Kurt Angle who supposedly was so close to death he needed a babysitter.

It is perfectly plausible that TNA's reduced schedule and less political/pressurised environment was all Angle needed to get back on the right track.

You also ignored whedon's other point that TNA has apparently been in dire financial straits for the best part of 10 years, and were seconds away from being sold a few months ago, if the dirtsheet writers were to be believed.

Whedon's comment was

I replied regarding the above comment. The various newsletters reported what WWE's viewpoint about this was. Thus hence the newsletters were not inaccurate. They reported what WWE felt. That was my point throughout.

Regarding TNA's finances, TNA would have folded years ago if Panda Energy hadn't come in. TNA overspent chasing the dream and Panda Energy activately tried to sell the company.

Here's the situation from 10th February Wrestling Observer
    The proposed Toby Keith-Jeff Jarrett promotion, which is a long way from happening, stemmed almost exactly as you’d think. TNA was for sale and Jarrett through his connections with the Nashville music industry and Keith in particular, tried to put together a bid to buy the company. The deal was very close at one point. Bob Carter came to Keith to finalize the deal and the two sides were close on a price, although they were not quite there. The belief is they were going to hash it out, but Carter only had one request in selling, which was that Dixie Carter would remain with her title, have some power in the company and remain a television character. Keith said he wasn’t going to buy the company with any creative limitations, so the deal actually fell apart because Bob Carter in the end was going to protect his daughter. Someone in TNA who was aware of how it went down noted to us that, “That’s why we all are still here,” noting if it was about business, TNA would have never survived after the last golden carrots (prime time TV and Hulk Hogan) failed to increase popularity or take the company from losing money. At that point, the feeling was from Keith and Jarrett that they didn’t need to buy the company, as they could start their own company from scratch. The deal falling through would have been shortly before Jarrett quit TNA in December. The other thing noted is when this story got out inside of TNA, those who had tried to believe the Janice Carter memo and thought the idea was that the Carters wouldn’t sell, and the talks were for just a minority investor, realized they’d been had.

Also Jeff Jarrett wrote on twitter that he would make breaking his silence with a video announcement today.