Options

Why is Sam unpopular this series?

Comments

• Options
    -Felicity--Felicity- Posts: 4,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason, he just seems very unlikeable this series? And as others have said, his partnership with Vicky doesn't seem to work as well as the one he had with Brianne, which is weird considering their off-ice relationship.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Phil wrote: »
    I think he just comes across a bit like he's not a nice person - he could be the nicest guy in the world really but it doesn't show.

Wasn't he in the skate off in his series at one point too?

I think people forget about the skate off & it was at quite a late stage too so suggests his vote was never really that robust. Even in the semi finals there was only just over 1% between him & Laura in the public vote.

As you say he may well be very nice in 'real life' but he doesn't come across well on the show. When you do a reality show you have to play the game to an extent.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    He won his series and obviously got the votes and the good comments. What has changed - do you think it is because of his skating partner? Though Brianne has always annoyed me a little I must say.

I don't see anything wrong with Sam myself and quite like him but it seems that others don't as he isn't getting the votes and I wondered what had happened to turn the public off him in a couple of years.

He never had a big vote lead until his final winning margin. The vote was distracted that series by Denise Welch. Johnson Beharry. and unfunny Dave. It had a daytime TV female, a national hero and a comedy act pulling it in. That meant Sam couldn't build support or momentum till those people had gone. He also had opposition with an even worse problem - Laura started in the first skate off, and had little name recognition. She also had to compete with Chloe for votes - and Chloe might have beaten her if T and D hadn't run out of good ideas for her routines.

This series Ray is better, at everything but some lifts, and Kyran is a stronger skater. Hayley was a popular winner and is a better dancer - though she had no real competion so we need to see what her vote is like against some. Suzanne can do far more, and also was a popular winner- gainst strong opposition. Beth has more story. and more recent support and a decent fanbase. Sam suffers against that lot.

He's also being given dull routines. His best, like several others, may have been his skate off dance which was the best from his year, or what he put together himself. He won with two dances that suited him and were good routines - Footloose and Riverdance. Riverdance suggested a popular routine that matched his talents. You wonder what would have happened if he had been given this series' nearest equivalent - Beth's scottish dance routine - which was a strong routine - instead of what he did get that week.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the problem is as simple as this - I quite like Sam, but not as much as Ray. If and when I vote, it will be for Ray - not because I don't like Sam, but because Ray is better. Isn't Sam's problem simply that he appeals to the same viewers as Ray, but Ray is superior?
  • Options
    ladydancer1ladydancer1 Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always liked Sam but this year he's not coming across well. I prefer his previous partner, for some reason he does'nt seem to connect well with his current partner even 'tho they're together off the ice. I'd have thought it would have worked well but it does'nt.
    I agree with those who say he's not getting routines that suit him and his dance off's are so much better than the ones he's given. It's a shame really because he can skate but he never looks like he's enjoying his routines.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him, but prefer other skaters
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think this is a difficult one.

Sam's a young, pretty good, fairly attractive male skater. He puts across his routines decently enough and dances well, if not brilliantly. However, those who voted for him in his series now have far more choice. Even if you keep the criteria the same, Sam voters can now vote for Ray who ticks all boxes, most of them far more emphatically. Anyone who voted for him simply because he was the best skater now have more options open too. Many people who voted for Sam did so because he was the best option available at the time. That's not the case now.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member

Sam's a young, pretty good, fairly attractive male skater. He puts across his routines decently enough and dances well, if not brilliantly. However, those who voted for him in his series now have far more choice. Even if you keep the criteria the same, Sam voters can now vote for Ray who ticks all boxes, most of them far more emphatically. Anyone who voted for him simply because he was the best skater now have more options open too. Many people who voted for Sam did so because he was the best option available at the time. That's not the case now.
    Yes, it's as simple as that.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed.

The question of "likeability" is a funny one. I don't think it's related just to how nice a person is, but also whether or not they are shy and get anxious on tv, or ever look too indignant about a poor score etc.

The nature of this series is that the contestants as a bunch have higher individual likeability than the contestants in past series. Sometimes it's not until a celeb does a show like DOI that people notice that they can be a bit chippy, or an attitude problem that was hidden by good PR. There's normally one or two per series who expected to be brilliant, but turn out to be very average and sulk because the judges don't shower them with praise.

The point being that there's normally a few of them in each series, and that makes everyone else look better. There are none of them this year, so you need to be even more likeable to appear likeable.
  • Options
    SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    I really liked Sam and Brianne, but for some reason I can't take to his new partner. Tbh I think they are all wasting their time, imho Ray is leaving them all standing...and will win.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I like Sam but I like Beth and Hayley better so when I'm voting its going to be for one of the girls rather than him. For me, his series was my least favourite so I dont really remember much about his routines other than riverdance
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Except Ray's nowhere near as attractive. I think the problem is no one remembers who Sam is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Except Ray's nowhere near as attractive.

That's debatable!
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except Ray's nowhere near as attractive. I think the problem is no one remembers who Sam is.

Really? Well, I guess they do say beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amytigger wrote: »
    That's debatable!
    kaycee wrote: »
    Really? Well, I guess they do say beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

I think Ray's hideous to look at. Sam's features are all normal looking at least.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Ray's hideous to look at. Sam's features are all normal looking at least.

Well I hope Ray's family don't read this thread :kitty:
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BiB is the pertinent factor.

Ray has many followers. Not saying all or even most of Ray's supporters are doing so because of the attraction issue but I bet that many of those who vote partly because of that, voted for both Ray and Sam in their respective series and are voting just for Ray now.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to forget Sam's performance no matter how good. Sorry.
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Simple. He's not in EastEnders any more.
  • Options
    ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the only reason that Sam went through tonight was because they made a big thing about him being in the Skate Off a lot recently and so the public voted for him in the hope that this wouldn't happen. This, as well as being in the winning team helped save him. Come next week, I think he'll be back in the Skate Off again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    ABCZYX wrote: »
    I think the only reason that Sam went through tonight was because they made a big thing about him being in the Skate Off a lot recently and so the public voted for him in the hope that this wouldn't happen. This, as well as being in the winning team helped save him. Come next week, I think he'll be back in the Skate Off again.

He didn't need to get that many votes to survive this week- just more than Kyran I think.

Agree that he'll probably be straight back to the skate off next week.
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    ABCZYX wrote: »

I thought he went through because he put in a great performance. The routine was fun and well executed and it helped that it was a popular song.
  • Options
    maureensmaureens Posts: 13,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amber505 wrote: »
    He didn't need to get that many votes to survive this week- just more than Kyran I think.

Agree that he'll probably be straight back to the skate off next week.

He will be in the skate off definately as i dont think the public really have taken to him(im not a fan of him or his partner TBH) Unless the producers and judges can think of a "twist" to save him and try and get Beth in the bottom again with Kyran..
  • Options
    TVFreakoTVFreako Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    I find it strange people are questioning whether he is popular or not.

You are clearly and evidently more likely to draw negative heat from the fans if you are unsuccessful than successful on DOI.

There are some who have walked in the same shoes as Sam in the same place but at a different time and there are some who are more known for their voice than the comedy, who didn't so much skate off as appear to be heckled off. All due to the fact, for the most part, they were one of the unfortunate few who weren't able to 'get it'. Who weren't able to master what is a very tricky skill even at it's most basic level.

What could Sam possibly do to draw the same heat we saw for Todd or for Joe?
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he went through because he put in a great performance. The routine was fun and well executed and it helped that it was a popular song.

I thought it was his best performance so far. Hopefully that, plus the boost of getting voted through will help him shine next week.

I'd actually like Ray to win and Sam runner up :)