Extended Warranty? Please tell me that you are joking!

alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
Forum Member
✭✭
Mrs A visited our local Argos this morning to purchase a hand blender and was asked if she would like an extended warranty.

The thing only cost £6.99! :mad:

Comments

• swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More importantly, did she accept the extended warranty?
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did she buy it? Is that why you're so mad?
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I don't know why anyone would want to blend their hands.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Whenever I get offered an EW I ask "why is this model particularly unreliable then?"

They soon move on.
  • alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No,she didn't accept it. Yes,she did buy it. And no,I am not mad at all. Don't know how much said EW would be, but I'm pretty sure that the maths wouldn't make any sense!

If it had been £699, I wouldn't have taken out an EW. Don't believe in them.
  • makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alycidon wrote: »
    No,she didn't accept it. Yes,she did buy it. And no,I am not mad at all. Don't know how much said EW would be, but I'm pretty sure that the maths wouldn't make any sense!

If it had been £699, I wouldn't have taken out an EW. Don't believe in them.

Good for you...

If you would have broken it and then gone back and they wouldn't swap it then you would still moan. No pleasing some people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    On an aside, it can be worth taking EWs on expensive items if you get a discount in return... you get a cooling off period so you can get your discount and then cancel the EW... Quids in :)
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I often get offered this, it usually ends up being a third of the price of the actual item, totally ludicrous, and I would never bother with it.

If something goes wrong outside of the guarantee, I usually don't want to have another one of the same anyway, so I'd just get something else.
  • alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for you...

If you would have broken it and then gone back and they wouldn't swap it then you would still moan. No pleasing some people.

I don't break things. :)
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I was asked if I wanted an extended warranty on an ink jet cartridge I bought in Comet.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,515
    Forum Member
    I think the OP needs to get a grip :D

The staff are trained to always try and sell an extended warranty, it's no different to them saying "have a nice day".
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should have said no, if it breaks down I'll buy a sex slave to give me cheap thrills next time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was asked if I wanted an extended warranty on an ink jet cartridge I bought in Comet.

No you didn't.
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    richersounds , offer a 5yr extended warranty on everything they stock for a very fair 10% of the item price

buy a cheap tv for £100 for example and add a tenner for 5yrs piece of mind .

even if you bought a pocket radio for say £20 ,,,, for the sake of an extra £2 your covered

cant really argue with that .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    People will happily pay for an extended warranty but would never set foot in a betting shop.

They're both gambling!
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trayhop123 wrote: »
    richersounds , offer a 5yr extended warranty on everything they stock for a very fair 10% of the item price

buy a cheap tv for £100 for example and add a tenner for 5yrs piece of mind .

even if you bought a pocket radio for say £20 ,,,, for the sake of an extra £2 your covered

cant really argue with that .

Yes, Richer Sounds is the only place I would consider getting an EW from. Their prices are reasonable even if you add the 10% on for the EW. If you don't claim in the 5 years you can even get the 10% back again if you remember to claim it.

However, the minimum cost is £9.99 so the second example above doesn't work I'm afraid.

http://www.richersounds.com/information/warranties
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for you...

If it's broken they have to swap it, it's the law, the 1979 sale of goods act or something.
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    Yes, Richer Sounds is the only place I would consider getting an EW from. Their prices are reasonable even if you add the 10% on for the EW. If you don't claim in the 5 years you can even get the 10% back again if you remember to claim it.

However, the minimum cost is £9.99 so the second example above doesn't work I'm afraid.

http://www.richersounds.com/information/warranties

oh right i didn't know about the minimum ,,,,,,,, it wasn't always the case , things must have changed .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's broken they have to swap it, it's the law, the 1979 sale of goods act or something.

I said if THEY had broken it.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Extended warranties are the biggest con going
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,527
    Forum Member
    I said if THEY had broken it.

Accidental or deliberate damage isn't covered by basic warranties or sale of goods legislation, it's an insurance issue (but in the case of the O/P probably not worth bothering claiming for anyway. I wouldn't for something costing less than a tenner even if the policy covered it and there's excesses of course....).
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    standard policy?

but for an item under 10-20 pound?
  • kjpkjp Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy a warranty on a £6.99 blender, but I would for a more expensive electrical item. I bought the three year warranty for my tablet from PC world and I've had two new tablets in the last 18 months. Well worth it.
  • starter24starter24 Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Sod's law will nearly always dictate that you will never need the extended warranty, but if you don't have it, your item you purchased will go kaput after the standard warranty has expired! :(
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    standard policy?

but for an item under 10-20 pound?
    Dunno about policy but when I worked there many years ago it would automatically flag up on the till when you scanned pretty much any electrical item and wouldn't let you continue without pressing yes or no. This even applied to stuff like a £10 set of christmas tree lights or a £5 kettle.