Local council assistance for OAP's

emnatemnat Posts: 1,734
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would anyone happen to know if the council would assist with costs for a new boiler for someone in their 70's who only receives a state pension but lives in a private residence?

It's for my mother she does not have a boiler as it was taken away due to it being dangerous.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emnat wrote: »
    Would anyone happen to know if the council would assist with costs for a new boiler for someone in their 70's who only receives a state pension but lives in a private residence?

It's for my mother she does not have a boiler as it was taken away due to it being dangerous.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I originally asked if the property was rented but realised that you had already answered that in your OP. I don't believe there is any financial support to purchase new boilers but it might be worthwhile to make sure that the OAP is getting all her benefit entitlements. Does she have any support in the home?
  • emnatemnat Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taglet wrote: »
    I originally asked if the property was rented but realised that you had already answered that in your OP. I don't believe there is any financial support to purchase new boilers but it might be worthwhile to make sure that the OAP is getting all her benefit entitlements. Does she have any support in the home?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

What do you mean support in the home?

She lives alone if that's what you mean.
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for taking the time to respond.

What do you mean support in the home?

She lives alone if that's what you mean.

I meant helping with shopping, food prep, medication and dressing etc. I was trying to get an idea if there were any additional benefits she might claim.
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There may be local schemes - it will depend on your council. Why not get in touch with your local Age UK? They will almost certainly know.
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would suggest contacting Age UK (use to be Help the Aged)

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/

As they are very good at giving advice like this, and if they do not know they will probably be able to advise who to ask

Good luck

(Incidentally I am surprised the people who took the boiler away could not help on this, especially if they were a big national company)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taglet wrote: »
    I meant helping with shopping, food prep, medication and dressing etc. I was trying to get an idea if there were any additional benefits she might claim.

She's in good health and does shopping etc herself. I don't think she would be entitled to any additional benefits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There may be local schemes - it will depend on your council. Why not get in touch with your local Age UK? They will almost certainly know.

Thank you had not thought of them. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would suggest contacting Age UK (use to be Help the Aged)

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/

As they are very good at giving advice like this, and if they do not know they will probably be able to advise who to ask

Good luck

(Incidentally I am surprised the people who took the boiler away could not help on this, especially if they were a big national company)

Thank you I will contact them. Not sure what was said when the boiler was taken away she often gets confused about things.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My MIL aged 90 has just had a boiler fitted for free - she owns her own house and has age pension plus private pension and receives small amount of pension credit.
    It was fitted by Eon (her gas supplier) and the information was on her gas bill on the internet and you can also find the info on their web site. It is still there as my OH saw it yesterday when he was entering the meter reading.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's various schemes..

http://www.getfreeboiler.co.uk/

Have a look and see if she's eligible under this scheme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    My MIL aged 90 has just had a boiler fitted for free - she owns her own house and has age pension plus private pension and receives small amount of pension credit.
    It was fitted by Eon (her gas supplier) and the information was on her gas bill on the internet and you can also find the info on their web site. It is still there as my OH saw it yesterday when he was entering the meter reading.

Oh thank you, I shall contact her gas supplier!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    There's various schemes..

http://www.getfreeboiler.co.uk/

Have a look and see if she's eligible under this scheme.

I'll check this out as well, thank you!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh thank you, I shall contact her gas supplier!

She applied for it in November and it was fitted at beginning of January. It took 2 days but they were very thoughtful - covered carpets with cloths etc and made sure she was warm enough, even offered to bring a portable fire for her.
    Hope you get it sorted as my MIL is very pleased with the boiler and they also sorted out her radiators.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit - double post
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've called a couple of people and you are not eligible if you only receive a pension you have to receive a pension credit too. I'm not sure why this is the case as surely if you receive a pension credit you are receiving more than (however small it is) a flat rate state pension.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She applied for it in November and it was fitted at beginning of January. It took 2 days but they were very thoughtful - covered carpets with cloths etc and made sure she was warm enough, even offered to bring a portable fire for her.
    Hope you get it sorted as my MIL is very pleased with the boiler and they also sorted out her radiators.

That's wonderful, its nice to know that these big companies are giving a little something back. :)
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's wonderful, its nice to know that these big companies are giving a little something back. :)

You think these companies are doing it out the kindness of their hearts ?

The government has set 'green' targets for the energy companies which they will get fined for if they don't meet.

Just as a final note, you'll be glad to hear that as always, its the tax payer footing the bill for these 'green' improvements as the energy companies can claim tax back for the installations.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-cavity-loft-insulation
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    I've called a couple of people and you are not eligible if you only receive a pension you have to receive a pension credit too. I'm not sure why this is the case as surely if you receive a pension credit you are receiving more than (however small it is) a flat rate state pension.

I think this is because pension credit is means tested on income and savings. Above a certain income/savings threshold you can't claim pension credit. So this condition limits the offer to people having less than a certain amount of income and/or a certain amount of savings. (I don't know the exact amounts.)

The lady mentioned in the OP might not qualify for pension credit, or she may never have applied for it - apparently a lot of people who could claim don't do so. It does involve filling in a claim which Age UK would help her with, but she would have to tell them what her income and savings are, and she may not want to do that. Or they could tell her what the thresholds are and she could just say if she has more than that.
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pension credit is a means-tested top-up benefit for pensioners who don't receive the full state pension. As another poster has said, lots of people who are eligible don't receive it because they haven't applied so it might be worth checking out.