Options

Amazon Pilot The After

SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Good news folks, it's been picked up for a ten episode season. There is no air date but the order means those who watched it and wanted more will be very happy, and we won't have to worry about the mysteries not being solved for now.

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That is good news, definitely one I wanted picked up.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same, I even did the survey for it on their website. It was so good it would have been criminal to leave everyone hanging.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was a bit meh on this one as it started as some of characters seems a tad clichéd but by the end I wanted more. Looking forwards to this one.
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    As long as the irish guy gets eaten in the first five minutes of the first episode.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    As long as the irish guy gets eaten in the first five minutes of the first episode.

Regards

Mark

The actor playing him was in Banshee recently. Very good he was, did a better accent as well :D
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Just watched the pilot. Some of the acting was a bit ropey (hardly unusual for a pilot), but that last scene means I'll be watching the series when it becomes available.
  • Options
    GibraltarianGibraltarian Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    So glad this has made it to full series.

So intrigued as to why Sharon Lawrence has been massively aged for this!
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just want to ask (what may seem a dumb question) where do you do the survey after watching?
    Does it pop-up?
    I've only just discovered these Amazon pilots, just watched this one, did it not ask as it's already been given the go ahead?
    Just about to watch a couple of the others :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just want to ask (what may seem a dumb question) where do you do the survey after watching?
    Does it pop-up?
    I've only just discovered these Amazon pilots, just watched this one, did it not ask as it's already been given the go ahead?
    Just about to watch a couple of the others :)

The After has been commissioned as a series.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't watch the pilot but will check the whole season in full

I have found with Chris Carter, he is very much a one show wonder. The X files is his masterpiece, but Millenium, The lone guman and Harsh Realm that he did inbetween were not very good.

Will he finally have another hit on his hands?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haven't watch the pilot but will check the whole season in full

Will he finally have another hit on his hands?

I doubt it with 'The After'.

Being on Amazon won't help, and although I like it, it doesn't have that epic factor. I'm sure it will be good, but not 'water cooler' good.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
    Forum Member
    I watched the After. It was ok but nothing special. It felt like a script puled out of Chris Carter's bottom drawer.
  • Options
    Hampton WickHampton Wick Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully they'll remake the pilot with better dialogue and direction - it was a good idea but implemented in a very ropey manner.
  • Options
    Mr MoriartyMr Moriarty Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seemed OK - the mystery, atmosphere and tension was well done but the script was not just acceptable or mundane - I found it to be quite terrible actually - and it did not help that the cast delivered it so terribly. Really hope they work on the scripting/acting thing before making the series proper.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seemed OK - the mystery, atmosphere and tension was well done but the script was not just acceptable or mundane - I found it to be quite terrible actually - and it did not help that the cast delivered it so terribly. Really hope they work on the scripting/acting thing before making the series proper.

'Terrible' is an understatement! All the shouting between the cast was about as subtle as a brick through a window. There's an Irish guy in it, oh so he must say 'f*ck' every other word and be racist towards the black guy for no reason. All those parts are really dire.....

The only half decent bit was when they first get out into the open and you see a ton of people wandering around. Suddenly it was a different show altogether... but then they get back to smaller scenes and it's woeful. I would recast half of them.
  • Options
    Mr MoriartyMr Moriarty Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Terrible' is an understatement! All the shouting between the cast was about as subtle as a brick through a window. There's an Irish guy in it, oh so he must say 'f*ck' every other word and be racist towards the black guy for no reason. All those parts are really dire.....

The only half decent bit was when they first get out into the open and you see a ton of people wandering around. Suddenly it was a different show altogether... but then they get back to smaller scenes and it's woeful. I would recast half of them.

The Irish guy was the worst thing ever - everything else was pretty bad as well, as you say the shouting - it was repetitive, badly scripted and also pretty damn poorly acted - some genuinely weird deliveries. genuinely cannot remember I saw a show that clumsily scripted AND acted at the same time. Put that beside the cw's most stereotypical lazy show and that piece of shit looks like a masterpiece.
  • Options
    DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a bit old and slow, I'm trying to understand whether this can be seen (or will ever be seen) on mainstream TV or is something new that is just going to be streamed online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DartGuru wrote: »
    Being a bit old and slow, I'm trying to understand whether this can be seen (or will ever be seen) on mainstream TV or is something new that is just going to be streamed online.
    It's online only. If you take out Amazon Prime membership then you will be able to download the Amazon Instant Video app on your phone, tablet, games console or smart TV, log in and start watching.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    It's online only. If you take out Amazon Prime membership then you will be able to download the Amazon Instant Video app on your phone, tablet, games console or smart TV, log in and start watching.

You can also watch on your good old PC or Mac just by going to amazon's website. :)
  • Options
    DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »

Hmm, is that going to work then?
    I can sort of understand what they're doing but I think we're a million miles away from a online-only series being profitable unless sold on to some more mainstream channel.
    And with all the channels already available on cable/satellite I can't see enough people wanting to pay more to watch one programme to be able to justify the expense of commissioning much else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DartGuru wrote: »
    Hmm, is that going to work then?
    I can sort of understand what they're doing but I think we're a million miles away from a online-only series being profitable unless sold on to some more mainstream channel.
    And with all the channels already available on cable/satellite I can't see enough people wanting to pay more to watch one programme to be able to justify the expense of commissioning much else.
    I don't know. But it does look like all the tech giants are making a concerted attempt to take some major action from broadcast TV.