Options

DS Eurovision Best of the Rejects 2014

Comments

• Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wilkimania wrote: »
    I find it weird how much my mood changes my rankings. So far I've listened to the playlist twice and both times ended up with entirely different top 10's.

I hope my reject was at the top on both occasions :p:p:p
  • Options
    WilkimaniaWilkimania Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I hope my reject was at the top on both occasions :p:p:p
    Only one song found its way into my top 10 both times, but it would telling to say who it was. ;-):D
  • Options
    da33431da33431 Posts: 48,935
    Forum Member
    Woooh!! Ranking finally done and will be flying over to Anne. An easy winner for me, but two in my Top 10 were songs I'd never heard before and I've fallen for an amazing Icelandic entry!!! :D
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,282
    Forum Member
    Slowly chipping away towards my final top 10. I pretty much knew roughly where all my points were going to go anyway, but I'm trying to put pre-judgements aside and at least attempt to give some other songs a fair crack at getting into the lower end of my points and not be too hasty. I've already learned that I regret one decision I made in the alternative Eurovision thread!

Tomorrow I'll have to go through the songs again and do a gun to the head - do I like this one more than that one to lock in the points and get them posted! :D
  • Options
    da33431da33431 Posts: 48,935
    Forum Member
    Some of the songs were plain awful though, I shall not name names until voting closes :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    da33431 wrote: »
    Some of the songs were plain awful though, I shall not name names until voting closes :p

There were some shockers! There's one in particular that I think I've got a fair idea of who could've been behind it, so I can't wait to find out! :D
  • Options
    nick1990nick1990 Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening to Mas live again...gosh she shouted as much as Ruth! The song is very lacking in melody too which I am never a fan of, vocals over a beat always makes me feel there is something missing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sent my results yesterday. the first few were easy, but after that it was tight...
  • Options
    EuanDesuEuanDesu Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one picked Glamboy P :(
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I KNOW! He would of been the perfect eye candy that this year is so desperately missing... It's just such a shame his performance was so dreadful :(!

I thought he performed ok. But song is not amazing.

He's really sweet as well. Hm.
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With 10 sets of votes in already, the scoreboard is shaping up quite nicely. The only thing that I can say for sure is that we all like different stuff :D

I was thinking of doing a scorewiz result (automated Eurovision scoreboard type results), it's a lot easier - is that ok with everyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Points submitted... flip me that was hard work! A right old ding dong between a few songs for those little 1 and 2 point crumbs and some heartbreaking decisions had to be made, with one song in particular that I adored having to miss out! :(

Edit: scorewiz is fine by me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When are the results going to be? Not on Sunday?! I will be in London for the party then! Wouldn't want to miss it!

Ah...just read that your taking votes til Friday 18th...so guessing results wont be before then! :blush::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever sent Muff then I thank you gladly! That was a great 3 minutes seeing her in that dress for 3 minutes, clings in all the right places! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick1990 wrote: »
    When are the results going to be? Not on Sunday?! I will be in London for the party then! Wouldn't want to miss it!

Ah...just read that your taking votes til Friday 18th...so guessing results wont be before then! :blush::D

You only posted that to remind us that you've got a ticket for Sunday :p:D

Yup, there's another 9 days to get the votes in - had a right little flurry of them tonight and it's beginning to take shape....6 still on zero though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as my reject doesn't get 0 points, I'm a happy bunny!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got shift work for the next 6 days, so if I don't acknowledge your votes straight away, don't panic! Will do so as soon as I can :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    You only posted that to remind us that you've got a ticket for Sunday :p:D

Yup, there's another 9 days to get the votes in - had a right little flurry of them tonight and it's beginning to take shape....6 still on zero though

Promise I didn't! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick1990 wrote: »
    Promise I didn't! :D

I'm only jealous nick, don't worry about it (I was meant to be going as a birthday present from the hubster, but I couldn't get the time off work :( )

More votes received, and 5 songs still don't have any points - as you would expect it's incredibly close at the top!
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will definitely get my votes and a review done this weekend :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Will definitely get my votes and a review done this weekend :)

A review would be great phill! I would do one - but as the host, I think it might be inappropriate :blush:

I may not acknowledge your votes until Monday - but acknowledge them I will :)
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    A review would be great phill! I would do one - but as the host, I think it might be inappropriate :blush:

I may not acknowledge your votes until Monday - but acknowledge them I will :)

We are definitely lacking in reviews :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    We are definitely lacking in reviews :(

I've been umming and ahing whether to have a crack at one, but 40-odd songs is slightly daunting! :o
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I can have a crack at the playlist tomorrow night I'll see if I can get some reviews done. :)
  • Options
    kvnkvn Posts: 8,782
    Forum Member
    Mercurii Diei - Arxplendida - Switzerland

Hahaha! There's something amazing about this but I doubt it would've given Sebalter too many problems in the Swiss final...maybe just a slight headache.

Mas - Brequette - Spain

Her vocals weren't (anywhere near) perfect but I really loved this. The studio version of Mas is one of my most listened to songs from this year. I'm still not convinced by Ruth's song either.

Saule Riet - Olga Un Ligo - Latvia

Latvia are the Eurovision masochists year after year with their selections. This is brilliant, Cake to Bake isn't.

It Can't Be Over - Fool Moon - Hungary

As far as songs of this style go, I've heard worse....One of the better songs in a mediocre A Dal final IMO.

Candy Jar - MarieMarie - Germany

I'm still confused about what happened in the German final. Not sure how suited this would have been to Eurovision but it's quite a nice song in it's own right.

NeAngely - Courageous - Ukraine

What's with the homemade video? There's a decent quality video on You Tube from the final. Pre Tick Tock-polishing I was still disappointed these weren't chosen. If they can improve that like they have god knows what they would have done to Courageous. One of my favourites of the year. Personally, I'm sad that these songs are out of fashion at Eurovision now. I still love them!

What's the time in Tokyo - SIL - Belgium

Snoozefest - sorry

I need a soul twin - Mad Show Boys - Latvia

Yessss! My favourite Latvian song of the year. The staging of this was as mad as it was inspired. I was gone long before the bear and the balloons turned up. Not even making it out the semi final *tut*

Limit - Tim Peters - Germany

Guessing this was from the Elaiza route. Better than some of the established artists entries to be honest. Maybe Germany should ditch the stars next year.

Kui tuuled pöörduvad - Sandra Nurmsalu - Estonia

A travesty this isn't going to Copenhagen. A song that unites DS like this did must have something about it! Glorious

Wir werden niemals untergehen - Santiano - Germany

I was more Fiddler On The Deck than Wir werden niemals untergehen but this had a lot of charm on the night.

När änglarna går hem - Martin Stenmarck - Sweden

One of my top 2 from MelFest this year and both of them Swedish language songs. I think I'm a sucker for any song with "ohh ohh" in it to be honest. Great choice!

Take Me - Pamela - Malta

Sweet song, very Malta

Let Me Be (Myself) - Muff - Slovenia

It was a close call between Muff and Tinkara, I think Slovenia got it right though.

Wir sind alle wie eins - Unheilig - Germany

Good job only one of his entries has been entered 'cos I think I could sit and listen to them both for an hour and not be able to distinguish between the pair of them. I feel like this song is the equivalent of a straight line. It doesn't go anywhere for me.

Taste Of You - Knut Kippersund Nesdal - Norway

K-NOOT! Grew on me a lot the more I listened to it, it's infinitely better than Silent Storm IMO but so are a lot of songs this year....

Songbird - Ellen Benediktson - Sweden

I like this more now than I did at the time but it's still closer to being an insomnia cure than a favourite of mine for sure.

Fiddler on the Deck - Santiano - Germany

Maybe I'm deluded.....but I really think this could have won the whole thing. I love it!

Letting Go - Renee Santana feat Mike Diamondz - Romania

Nothing was beating the gruesome twosome in Romania this year but Renee Santana has had two good songs in their final for the last two years and got nowhere near. The Romanian-accordionish vibe in the chorus is a winner with me!

Survivor - Helena Paparizou - Sweden

Another song I love, not even at the half way point of the playlist, no idea how I'm going to score these songs :p.

Because I Have You - Amber - Malta

A painful reminder of how tedious that Maltese semi final got. Next!

Lights On - Markus Riva - Latvia

Not one of the best but still > Cake To Bake.

Busy Doing Nothin' - Ace Wilder - Sweden

I didn't "get" this until just before the final. I've listened to it a lot since and I'm converted!

Take A Look At Me Now - MIA - Lithuania

Better than the awful Attention but so is every Eurovision song ever....apart from Georgia's latest effort.

Linnea Dale - High Hopes - Norway

She's a dead ringer for Kate from Neighbours, it's uncanny! I can imagine the song being a hit outside of Eurovision. Like it a lot.

Like Lovers Do - Madeline Juno - Germany

There's only so many ways to phrase this is okay...but this is okay.

Sängyn Reunalla - Mikko Pohjola - Finland

Finland, Finland *tut* - another country who got it so so wrong. This would have done me fine!

We All - Bogi - Hungary

Another one to fall into the nice category. Hungary made the right choice with Running IMO.

Petelouda Stin Athina - Krystallia - Greece

Like Brequette, she's another whose vocals weren't perfect but for a song as good as this I can look/listen past it! Loved this and it wipes the floor with that song Greece picked and I can't be bothered listening to.

Selja - Hukka Ja Mama - Finland

It took me a few go's to get into Selja but I love it now! I've a feeling these two would have turned into a pair of legends in Copenhagen :kitty:

Hearts Collide - Anca Florescu - Romania

There was some excellent songs in the Romanian final, and Miracle.

Cotton Candy Hurricane - MarieMarie - Germany

I liked this a lot on the night. Better than her other song about Candy.

Hela Natten - Josef Johansson - Sweden

The only reason I didn't try and enter this myself was purely so I could give it points. I will never tire of this song and without meaning to give my points away this is maybe my favourite song of all this year! :D Vintage G:son.

Amor - Ásdís María Viðarsdóttir - Iceland

Iceland was awful this year.

Sole Survivor - Elisabeth Carew - Norway

Another Norwegian reject that I would have preferred over their actual entry. She can really sing it which is unusual for these pop entries :p

Kanénas den me stimatá - Kóstas Martákis - Greece

Krystallia >>>> Kostas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>> Actual Greek entry.

Wanna Be Loved - Michael Rune feat Natascha Bessez - Denmark

DMGP was odd. I couldn't take to a single song when the previews were released but most of them sounded brilliant live, this being one of them (Basim being one of the few exceptions). Denmark made a terrible terrible decision :(

Mea Culpa - Catarina Pereira - Portugal

Catarina might never get to Eurovision.....I'm not sure if they can rewrite Canta por mim a third time :D I prefer this to Suzy but I preferred Zana to both of them

Be Proud - Mei Finegold - Israel

Israel, one of the few countries who I thought got it right this year. This was no loss to me.

Pin The Middle - DeBee - Malta

This was such a strange little song. It reminded me of something the Netherlands would enter. I actually really like it!

Bucas - Crazy Dolls - Latvia

Dear me, who thinks up the staging in Latvia. Send in the men in white coats.

God/Drug - MIAU - Finland

I've more time for this now than I did during UMK. I'd prefer it to Soft Engine.

She's After My Piano - 2 Fabiola ft. Loredana - Belgium

No idea where Belgium sourced their songs from this year but wherever it was, it needs to be set on fire. It's good in a hahaha way but really.....bizarre.

Blame It On The Disco - Alcazar - Sweden

I'm glad this wasn't chosen, it's almost crass. The chorus is a whole mess of auto tune and backing vocals *runs for cover*

Pēdējā vēstule - Dons - Latvia

It seems right to finish the NF Rejects Playlist with another nonsensical Latvian choice. This would have been Top 10, probably higher. After so many stupid results you can only think Latvia are trolling Europe :kitty: Didn't this win Latvian Song of the Year or something similar and then was beaten by a song about baking. Strange.

Conclusion

Very good standard of rejects this year. I prefer these lot than the actual entries which is a shame. It's brutal picking a top 10 but I think I know what they are, putting them into an order might take a while though. The other songs I thought of entering haven't been snapped up yet so hopefully there'll be some more rounds of this during the rest of the year!