Medicines you remember from childhood

Comments

• tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    They have good antiseptic properties.
    Did anyone get disclosing tablets? blue and you chewed them up and the tartar or food detritus would show up? I am sure I can be confident this taught me a more fastidious approach to oral hygiene as I am 34 and no fillings yet. I asked about them for my kids, of course my dentist said they dont have them anymore..they should bring them back for 4-7 year olds teach them to be careful and clean properly, well obviously under supervision at brushing time as it should be till about 8 year old..! My opinion obviously, helpful one though!

Few drops of food colouring will do the same job

I remember the banana medicine and the orange flavoured one. I can still smell the banana one now, yuk. The Orange one wasn't bad.

Does anyone remember the sweets you could get in the chemist?
    Barley Twists
    Those caramel coloured sticks with chocolate in the middle
    Floral cachous, they were sold as breath freshener. I loved these and I think they are responsible for my love of Parma violets, floral gums and cherry lips!
    Liquorice sticks ( the real bark ones)
    Imps
    Didn't they do a chewy victory v too?
    Oh and what about Zubes for sore throats?
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Hot Toddy....a well known remedy for the common cold. It was a mixture of whisky and hot water and had to be swallowed like a shot, worked wonders when I was little. Also, straight whisky rubbed on the tooth for toothache.....clove oil was for jessies! :)
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hot Toddy....a well known remedy for the common cold. It was a mixture of whisky and hot water and had to be swallowed like a shot, worked wonders when I was little. Also, straight whisky rubbed on the tooth for toothache.....clove oil was for jessies! :)

OMG the times I was forced to drink a toddy of hot brandy with honey and water when I was a kid:o bloody hated it, my parents even used to add peppermint cordial when I moaned, cried, stropped, hid ( basically tried every diversion tactic known to a child) because I hated the taste and smell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Gentian violet

That's it!!! Thanks. Can u still buy it?
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Calamine Lotion, Olive Oil (for ears !), Lucozade .......:o

That Rosehip Syrup was delicious ........:)

You can still get all of those. People have also been going on about Calpol and that also still available.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calpol was bloody brilliant
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some names from the past here that have been mentioned.
    Junior Disprin, Germolene, Milk of Magnesia (I was thinking of only this morning), TCP, Dettol also 'worked' in cuts n grazes, Woodwards Gripe water, Castor Oil, Vic's vapour rub, made your chest all warm erm, erm...

Remember putting some of the kids to bed with a rub of vic's on the chest now :)
    )

You can still get Vick's Vapour Rub.

When my son was a baby I used to give him fennel in boiled water which was recommeded instead of gripe water. I don't know if you can still get that.

Back in the 1970's there was a liquid called Panadol elixir which I assume was a forerunner of Calpol. I was given it when I had my tonsils out as I was allergic to aspirin and they wouldn't give me paracetomol tablets as they said my throat was too sore to swallow them.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    You can still get Vick's Vapour Rub.

When my son was a baby I used to give him fennel in boiled water which was recommeded instead of gripe water. I don't know if you can still get that.

Back in the 1970's there was a liquid called Panadol elixir which I assume was a forerunner of Calpol. I was given it when I had my tonsils out as I was allergic to aspirin and they wouldn't give me paracetomol tablets as they said my throat was too sore to swallow them.

BIB what a cracking product name, why isn't that still about, they've missed a trick there.
    Oh I thought Vics was still with us, jar lasts for ages though, pretty sure they still do the little tins too.
  • QuofanQuofan Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    curmy wrote: »
    Minadex, a ghastly flavoured iron tonic ( we are talking the 1950's here ! )

Woodwards gripe water, it had alcohol in it :D

I used to love the taste of Minadex when I was a kid (in the '60's). Every time I looked a bit under the weather my Dad used to say I 'needed a tonic' and out came the bottle of Minadex. ;-)

These days, with my young daughter, it's Calpol that is taken regularly (although for a different reason of course). I don't even know if Minadex is still available.
  • QuofanQuofan Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Hot Toddy....a well known remedy for the common cold.

Its funny as we get older we progress from a hot toddy to a hot totty! :D
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jessmum wrote: »
    Not really a medicine but that stuff that used to get painted on your nails to stop you biting them......bleurgh, I think it contained bitrex or something x
    It was called Bitter Aloes, jessmum. I think it was made from aloe leaves which are very bitter.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to bloody love Haliborange, I always wanted more than 1. Also when people used to tell me nothing rhymed with Orange, I would say Haliborange :D

We also had little Super Ted Vitamins. They were not nice though!
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Cannot remember the name of this medicine, but when I was a child I used to get given this medicine in a clear white plastic bottle, from what I remember it was very sweet and had a greenish colour to it. Cannot even remember what I used to have to take it for now & neither can my parents, but they remember the description.
    Yes, I think I know which medicine you are on about. Can't remember the name unfortunately.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    jessmum wrote: »
    Not really a medicine but that stuff that used to get painted on your nails to stop you biting them......bleurgh, I think it contained bitrex or something x

Ugh I had that stuff as well! The one I had was called Nail The Habit and it was vile. I don't bite my nails any more, I paint them instead. My nails are currently dark blue :D
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember my mom using that when I had chicken pox. Smelly stuff but it did help with the itching.

Me too. I was coated in it from head to toe.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaolin&Morphine. In a bottle
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I think I know which medicine you are on about. Can't remember the name unfortunately.

Galloways cough syrup
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hot Toddy....a well known remedy for the common cold. It was a mixture of whisky and hot water and had to be swallowed like a shot, worked wonders when I was little. :)

I was given a tot of rum with hot water and sugar, my dad was in the navy, I still like rum to this day.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calpol, Oliver Oil and a host of Vitamins like Super Ted.

There was another called 'Proxy' something.

Boots is really coming back to memory now..
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love those little multi coloured ball shaped vitamin pills. So much so that when I was three, I climbed up the cupboard and ate them all. Then I had to go to the hospital and drink charcoal until they were out of my system. My mum never bought them again. Sometimes I smell things that smell like those pills and I really want to eat them again but I don't know what they were called. They were in a glass bottle with cotton wool.
  • emjemj Posts: 6,737
    Forum Member
    Banana flavoured amoxicillin suspension :D
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emj wrote: »
    Banana flavoured amoxicillin suspension :D

I'm allergic to amoxicillin.:o
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tigragirl wrote: »
    Few drops of food colouring will do the same job

I remember the banana medicine and the orange flavoured one. I can still smell the banana one now, yuk. The Orange one wasn't bad.

Does anyone remember the sweets you could get in the chemist?
    Barley Twists
    Those caramel coloured sticks with chocolate in the middle
    Floral cachous, they were sold as breath freshener. I loved these and I think they are responsible for my love of Parma violets, floral gums and cherry lips!
    Liquorice sticks ( the real bark ones)
    Imps
    Didn't they do a chewy victory v too?
    Oh and what about Zubes for sore throats?

I remember all those. Also, back in the 70s we all got worms and we all had to drink this vile tasting liquid to get rid of them. Don't know what it was called but it was thick and I felt like I was drinking sludge. Always want to throw up after drinking it. Yuk yuk yuk >:(
  • livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was allegedly raspberry flavour, which is even worse.

If hell had a taste, pripsen would be it. I remember being kids and the whole family distraught at having to drink it, and I punched my brother for having worms in the first place.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    It was called Bitter Aloes, jessmum. I think it was made from aloe leaves which are very bitter.

We tried middle child who was a thumb sucker on something like that, she eventually got used to the taste, but it did 'slow her down', along with us focussing on it, I think eventually put paid to the habit.

I tried it and didn't find it 'that' off putting myself.