The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 55)

Comments

• QuartzManQuartzMan Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going through the NF rejects competition is making me increasingly annoyed at all the great songs that were left by the wayside :(. I don't think I had one of my personal favourites win it's respective final, probably why I feel so indifferent about the songs this year!
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    As I've said before I was horrified last year when we gave 8 points to Greece and 4 to Romania but nothing to Margaret Berger. Even if it's not your favourite I think that most people would agree that it deserved some points.

The 10 we gave to Russia proved that the fuddy duddies were in our jury. Nice enough song but still.

When Graham Norton made those bitchy remarks about neighbourly voting when Denmark, Sweden, Finland gave Norway 12 I was with friends and I said "I don't care, it's a great song song and nobody else is giving it enough points as far as I'm concerned".

Ireland also gave nothing to Norway, surprisingly. In fact, Ireland and the UK were two of the four countries who didn't give points to Norway, the other two being France and Austria.
  • WilkimaniaWilkimania Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so I'm sure we could all name a song that has been in Eurovision a few years after it's peak (in terms of the song type) however is there a song in this years competition that is too early.
  • QuartzManQuartzMan Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wilkimania wrote: »
    Ok so I'm sure we could all name a song that has been in Eurovision a few years after it's peak (in terms of the song type) however is there a song in this years competition that is too early.

Hands down Denmark 2002 (Tell Me Who You Are by Malene). If that had come a couple of years later I doubt it would have been bottom of the pack.

Edit: and I didn't read the whole question haha...

I think Armenia could have done with being postponed and potnetially Hungary, I just don't think the rest of Europe are quite ready for dubstep and drum and bass just yet
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    A day at the seaside with Valentina! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrQkwtfVYbg#t=21

It wasn't the purple hands we were commenting on in the Maybe video! ;)
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    A day at the seaside with Valentina! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrQkwtfVYbg#t=21

It wasn't the purple hands we were commenting on in the Maybe video! ;)

"tell us about the video shoot for 'Maybe'. It must of been very cold on that day".

We know it was. Her nipples could of cut through glass.

Never even noticed the purple hands!

In all seriousness, she genuinely seems like a nice person. I really hope she'll qualify this year. I don't think she will and I will be gutted for her if she doens't :(
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QuartzMan wrote: »
    I think Armenia could have done with being postponed and potnetially Hungary, I just don't think the rest of Europe are quite ready for dubstep and drum and bass just yet

I had a conversation with one of my friends about dubstep in Eurovision. He's a casual viewer, but has noted how most of Europe has been sneaking in the wob over the past few years. It seems to be a bit of a gimmick to garner votes from a more modern crowd. I don't think I was surprised that Straight into Love failed to qualify last year since the singing was pretty awful but it seems that the juries mainly scuppered Ingranka's chances of making the final (Montenegro came 4th in the televote).

Armenia and Hungary are definite qualifiers in my eyes, especially if Aram keeps his interpretative dancers in the background to wake people up.
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    "tell us about the video shoot for 'Maybe'. It must of been very cold on that day".

We know it was. Her nipples could of cut through glass.

Never even noticed the purple hands!

In all seriousness, she genuinely seems like a nice person. I really hope she'll qualify this year. I don't think she will and I will be gutted for her if she doens't :(

I was too distracted by the bullet nipples to notice what colour her hands were! :D

I hope she does as well. I suppose there's always 2015 if all else fails, I mean it's not like they've got many other options! :p
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GI don't think I had one of my personal favourites win it's respective final

That's quite normal for me. But some later can grow on me. This year it feels like there has been more internal selections than normal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was too distracted by the bullet nipples to notice what colour her hands were! :D

I hope she does as well. I suppose there's always 2015 if all else fails, I mean it's not like they've got many other options! :p

I think she said she would take a break for a few years and then come back if the San Marino(ean? :S!) broadcaster wanted her!

I think they should just send her every year. I love her.
  • AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    The songs always so much better from the official CD after listening to the low quality versions for months:D

The bilingual version of Poland is a bit of a mess though imo :(
    Forum Member
    I think she said she would take a break for a few years and then come back if the San Marino(ean? :S!) broadcaster wanted her!

I think they should just send her every year. I love her.

San Marinese. I can imagine them pestering her every year if she does take a break, whoever does replace her if that should happen would have very big shoes to fill!
  • dbj2dbj2 Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Alicey wrote: »

The bilingual version of Poland is a bit of a mess though imo :(

If they were making Polnad bilingual surely it would have been better to mix the Polish and English lyrics instead of one half in Polish and the other in English, it makes it sound like they stuck two different songs together now, and in my opinion, it sounded better in the original Polish.
  • ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UknWnkoFrVY

John Kennedy O'Connor predicting a UK win! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    San Marinese. I can imagine them pestering her every year if she does take a break, whoever does replace her if that should happen would have very big shoes to fill!

I have a feeling that San Marino will withdraw if Valentina does. Do smaller countries pay the same as larger countries to enter the contest? if so, then it's near on impossible for San Marino to make a profit out of it since they have such a small population (same goes for countries like Malta - although Malta have hours of adverts, so maybe not :D!), so since they haven't qualified yet, it's probably not worth it to them at all.

Saying that, since it's the 60th next year, perhaps we will see many more countries taking part to celebrate such a big mile stone. Perhaps we'll even see the debut of countries like Egypt, Algeria, Jordan and Libya who are all entitled to partake. Maybe even Kazakhstan... or the Vatican (c'mon, you all know you wanna see the pope singing some cheesy pop song!).
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that San Marino will withdraw if Valentina does. Do smaller countries pay the same as larger countries to enter the contest? if so, then it's near on impossible for San Marino to make a profit out of it since they have such a small population (same goes for countries like Malta - although Malta have hours of adverts, so maybe not :D!), so since they haven't qualified yet, it's probably not worth it to them at all.

Saying that, since it's the 60th next year, perhaps we will see many more countries taking part to celebrate such a big mile stone. Perhaps we'll even see the debut of countries like Egypt, Algeria, Jordan and Libya who are all entitled to partake. Maybe even Kazakhstan... or the Vatican (c'mon, you all know you wanna see the pope singing some cheesy pop song!).
    "Blame it on Pope Francisco"?
    Forum Member
    Pandora. wrote: »
    "Blame it on Pope Francisco"?

Fiddler On The Balcony.... :blush::D
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you may have just won the Internet.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Random but am I the only weirdo who loved Don't Play That Song Again? (Just came on ESC radio)
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone think that Switzerland is actually quite underrated? I think it definitely deserves to qualify.
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latvia had so many potential qualifiers in the National Final, why oh why did they have to go for Cake to Bake :(

I know I'm in a tiny minority, but I adore cake to bake, it's one of my favourites in this year's contest. I just love it's simplicity and the fact that it's something Mr tumble might sing on 'something special'. And for the glorious fact they have managed to fit in the Latvian for 'fu*k off' into the 2nd verse has to be applauded.
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone think that Switzerland is actually quite underrated? I think it definitely deserves to qualify.

Me too. Whistling never seems to work though in ESC...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I'm in a tiny minority, but I adore cake to bake, it's one of my favourites in this year's contest. I just love it's simplicity and the fact that it's something Mr tumble might sing on 'something special'. And for the glorious fact they have managed to fit in the Latvian for 'fu*k off' into the 2nd verse has to be applauded.

Yes. Agree with You.mlove the simpleness and the fact that They look Happy on stage...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, i think the Only reason SMR is in this year is because of ralph. I thibk he pays for everything.
This discussion has been closed.